Post trying all knacks a man succeeds in growing a beard of his taste. But in predominant cases, men like to experiment with the color of the facial hair for many reasons. Beard dyeing product sales have increased in recent times due to this experimentation.
What Are The Most Prominent Reasons for Beard Dyeing?
Beard dyeing is a man’s personal choice and the following reasons are some of the most recurring reasons men commonly site.
Covering up one’s age: Aging is a natural phenomenon. Some men perceive the first greys in their facial hair as an early sign of wisdom. While others think it’s too early to look aged. One of the ways men cover this sign of aging is by facial hair dyeing. Although beard coloring doesn’t prohibit grey hairs in the beard these colors are seen to increase their appearance time.
Beard dyeing due to the vocation: Many men opt to dye their beard to improve their chances of landing in a job. Employers in today’s era prefer the younger folk over the older ones. Although this sounds absurd, one would have probably come across this situation in his surroundings or would have self-experienced it. That’s why many men decide to dye their beard and enhance their appearance for a long time.
Experimenting with ones look: Many guys like to experiment with their looks now and then. Hence they not only change their wardrobe and hairstyles but also choose to experiment with their beard color to match up the recent trends.
Beard love and care: Every guy grows their beard with lots of patience. Hence it is obvious that they will set aside some time to groom it. Beside applying beard oil, brushing and combing the facial hair regularly, one can add beard dyeing to his list, based on personal taste.
How to Choose the Right Beard Dye?
Prior to beard dyeing, one needs to research on the following pointers. These tips help a man to opt for the right beard dye.
Choosing the right color plays a pivotal role in beard dye selection. The standard beard dye colors that are available include black, brown, blonde, and red. But in addition to the standard colors, many shades and tints of the basic colors have also reached the market. The color a man chooses mainly depends on the reasons for the beard dyeing.
The following section provides certain guidelines that helps a guy to choose the right beard dye color.
- The natural hair of one’s beard and the head is composed of different colors. The color variations in most cases are subtle, hence it is always tricky to choose the right beard dye color as every individual has a tendency to easily pick a dye that can make his beard look too dark.
- It is predominantly recommended to choose a dye color that’s a few shades lighter than the natural beard. A beard with a slightly lighter color is not seen to alleviate the natural look over the too dark ones.
- Men with black hair are advised to opt for dark brown dye. Other men with dark hair are recommended to opt for a shade that is slightly lighter than their natural color, while blondes are advised to choose one that’s close to their natural color.
- It is best to simply try to match the natural color of an individual’s hair as closely as possible. Trust the instincts while being wary of buying a dye that’s too dark as once colored the beard color will stay for a speculated period of time.
Man beard dyes include ingredients chemicals that are toxic. Hence always prefer to purchase a beard dye with natural and organic ingredients.
Ammonia is the predominant component of many beard dyes that is seen to open the hair cuticle, that is seen to enhance the penetration of the dye into the hair follicle. One needs to be cautious with this component as ammonia is seen to cause skin and eye irritation if applied or used in large doses. Use of hypoallergenic dyes is recommended predominantly.
#3: Beard dye type preference.
Make sure to check the beard dye’s package to see if it’s a permanent or non-permanent dye. “Permanent” dye tend to last for several weeks or even months, this is not a good option for beginners as if the color fails to match one’s beard, it cannot be rectified easily. On the other hand, they don’t require many re-applications, so there is the convenience factor which can be utilized once the right beard color is obtained.
Semi-permanent beard colors are seen to last for only a couple of weeks. These are best for touch-ups and tend to wash out easily.
The dye type a person chooses is a matter of personal preference. But stylists generally recommend choosing a less permanent beard dye option for beginners.
#4: Easy application.
The ease of application depends on the dye product that one purchases. Take a close look at the instructions provided on the panel of the coloring product. One may need gloves, mixing bowls, and a whole bunch of other stuff for beard dye application. But studies report that these types of dyes are often of better quality with longer appearance.
What are The Preparatory Steps Prior To a Dyeing Process?
The following steps aid in a hassle-free facial dyeing process.
#1: Gathering the beard dyeing tools.
A beard dye, rubber gloves, applicator, paper or cloth towels, vaseline or mineral oil and tint removers are the predominant tools required for this process. One can make their own tint remover by mixing equal proportions of bleach and water. Testing the prepared solution on the skin is recommended prior to use to check for the skin sensitiveness. The potential drawbacks of this solution are that they are pretty harmful to the skin, nose, and eyes. A strong clarifying shampoo is the safest and most recommended color remover.
#2: Perform a sensitive test.
If an individual has chosen a regular dye, he needs to make sure that the dye product will not irritate his skin. A small coin-size area needs to be checked first before applying the dye to the whole beard. It’s predominantly recommended to choose a more sensitive area of the body, such as the bend of the arm or behind the knee for the sensitivity check. The dye application needs to initiated post 24 hours of this check.
#3: Cleanse the beard.
Experts recommend washing the beard prior to dyeing it as it is seen to remove dead cells from the skin, nourish hair follicles and help the beard retain the color easier. Avoid super cleaning the beard for a better dye perforation. Just make sure that the facial hair is free of dust and debris.
#4: Guard the other body parts against dye stains.
An old t-shirt or shirt, and old pants need to be worn during the dyeing process as a dye can get everywhere one can think hence it’s better to cover up. Alternatively, it is also advised to cover the sink and bathroom with plastic or an old blanket if one really cares to protect it. This will ease the cleaning up process. Application of petroleum jelly is also seen to ease the dye clean up the process.
How to Dye The Facial Hair?
Once the perfect beard coloring product has been chosen one can begin dyeing the beard with the aid of the following steps.
Step 1: Facial hair (Beard or mustache) dye preparation.
The Beard dye available in the market comes with two tubes: Base color and the color developer. The role of the Color developer is to not only act as a filler but to thicken the solution also. The two ingredients need to be mixed in any dish or plastic container. Some dye products come with their own trays, in this case, one needs to mix the ingredients in the tray provided.
Refrain from using the whole tubes, use just enough to cover the whole beard at one stroke. Avoid using a brush with bristles as it tends to alleviate the beard dye application on to the facial hair.
Step 2: Beard dye application
After cleansing the facial hair use dip the tip of the brush into the dye. Use the dipped brush to apply the dye on the beard in an up and down movement. Cover all the visible patches. Make sure to work the dye deep into the beard and also cover all the hairs.
Step 3: Test the color of the beard dye.
Post waiting the time as mentioned in the instruction of the package, test the color of the dye with the aid of a paper towel or a cotton swab. Wipe off a small region of beard dye and if one notices a very light beard color, repeat the procedure. However, avoid waiting for a longer time than the time period mentioned in the instructions on the package. The most recommended routes for beginners is to start with lighter colors and then increase the darkness gradually. Semi-permanent dyes usage is a great choice for use as the intense colors can be washed off at the next face wash. Post dye care with beard oils and conditioners, also are seen to fade off semi-permanent dyes at the expected rate.
Step 4: Rinse the excess dye off.
Once a guy notices no more dye in the water, pat dry the beard with a towel.
Step 5: Washing the beard.
Post some time one will have to wash the beard with a beard shampoo that’s safe for color-treated facial hair.
For the best outcomes, one needs to follow all the steps in the prescribed order.
Step 6: Post care.
Beard shampoo: Once the beard is dyed one would not want the color to fade quickly. Other issues that can alleviate the beard color is the appearance of dandruff or a skin rash. Application of a top beard shampoo is essential for the proper beard maintenance and care. The market is flooded with various beard shampoo brands, choose the best that suits the needs of an individual. One can also make their own beard shampoos. Men with full and long beards are recommended to apply beard softeners to refrain the hair from getting too wiry or scratchy.
Beard Oils: For an increased shelf life of the beard dye, one also needs to make use of a premium beard oil. Beard oil is seen to not only promote healthy beard growth but also refrains skin breakouts in reaction to chemicals, trimming, or styling. If one experiences irritated skin post a beard dyeing process, he is advised to make use of essential oils and moisturizers to stop beard rash.
Monitor signs of any gray hair: Beards grow quickly, hence one needs to carefully monitor any signs of gray hair that necessitate the occasional touch-up. A touch-up is not similar to a full-beard coloring and doesn’t require the same time commitment. Only a covering up needs to be done.
Haid Dye Vs Beard Dye: Can a Hair Dye Be Used to Color a Beard?
Hair dyes are seen to be too harsh on the facial hair. The consistency of the facial hair is very different from the head hair. It’s much coarser and thicker with its own special needs.
It is predominantly advised to stick with the beard coloring products available in the market.
10 Best Beard Dye Reviews
There are huge selections of beard dyes available in the market, one needs to choose the right one that suits the style, aesthetic, and lifestyle preferences. The following sections review the top ten beard dye colors that beginners can choose from.
#1: Organic & Natural Light Brown Beard Dye by Grizzly Mountain Beard Dye.
This product is a hypoallergenic, safe solution to overcome the aging beard. The perfect blend of plants and herbs mixed together delivers a natural oxidization process that enhances the colors of a man’s beard follicles. This beard dye doesn’t have harsh chemicals, hence they provide a natural looking beard with varying shades. Grizzly Mountain Beard dye is permanent dye and will not wash off when a person showers or swims.
- Totally organic and chemical free.
- Is a natural alternative to harsh drugstore brand beard dyes.
- Is a fine herbal powder rendered from fresh Emblic, False Daisy, Neem Tree, Henna and indigo.
- Is seen to respect the natural coarseness of the beard
- Not recommended for guys trying to add on a green tint on to their beards.
#2: New improved Reparex For Beard and Mustache by REPAREX Proti šedinám.
REPAREX is a revolutionary gray hair solution that is seen to restore beard and mustache color naturally. The transition is so gradual that many people will fail to recognize that an individual is using Reparex.
A noticeable difference is seen to be visible post five days of application and the natural hair color is typically restored within 10-20 days. This product remove’s oxygen from grey hair by causing the enzyme α-reductase to bind with silver acetate thereby restoring the melanin’s original natural color along the entire length of the beard.
- This product naturally restores original facial hair color.
- Reparex makes both, existing and newly growing hair non-gray, as it works through the hair follicles and doesn’t only dye the existing hair.
- If a blow dryer isis not used post application of Reparex it is seen to transfer the dye color to the clothes or bedding.
- It is not recommended applying Reparex before bedtime.
- Even though Reparex is a clear liquid, it is seen to stain when it oxidizes.
#3: TYLB® (Dark Brown) Beard and Mustache Darkener. Non Allergenic. 1 Minute Brush On by The Younger Looking Beard
TYLB® is a beard-darkener breakthrough that is seen to enable a man to look years younger by covering up as much gray as a man would want. This product can be applied on a daily basis and takes the same amount of time as one would take to brush his teeth in the morning (60-90 seconds).
This facial hair color is available in eight colors that include black, jet black, gray, Dark brown, Medium Brown, Light Brown, Dark Blonde and Auburn. One package is seen to last on an average of 6-9 months.
TYLB® is a pocket-friendly product as it costs less than $2.50 a month or less than a dime a day. One can go from salt to salt-and-pepper, or pepper-and-salt, or all pepper depending on a guys personal taste.
- Suitable for beard, mustache, sideburns, and eyebrows coloring.
- Hassle and fussy free product as they are not liquids and no gloves or caps, mixing is required.
- Safe and non-allergenic.
- Natural Looking.
- The dye can be applied within 60-90 seconds.
- One package is seen to lasts 6-9 months on average, hence it doesn’t hit hard on the pockets.
- Color at times is not seen to stick on to coarser hair.
- The application brush is seen to easily slip into the coloring skin underneath the hair.
- The color at times fades off during shower.
#4: Blackbeard for Men Formula X – Instant Brush-on Beard & Mustache Color by Blackbeard for Men
Patented Blackbeard for Men Formula X is an instant, brush-on color specially designed for facial hair. It is not a dye and is a daily-use gray hair eradicator. The product needs to be just brushed on the facial hair hence is seen to be applied in seconds. As it dries quickly it tends to give a natural feel. Doesn’t contain harsh chemical odors and is found to be gentle and non-irritating.
- Covers up the gray in the mustache, beard, sideburns and even eyebrows in seconds.
- Is water resistant, and is seen to last on an average for 8-12 hours.
- Is a patented, instant, hypoallergenic brush-on beard color.
- This product is not a dye hence it is proven to be gentle and non-toxic.
- This product cannot be applied on short hair (1 mm).
- When applied on to the brows the product may leak into the eyes if a person sweats or get any kind of moisture on them.
- A developer is not available with the product.
- The tube that comes with the product is tiny.
#5: Manly Guy MEDIUM BROWN Hair, Beard, & Mustache Color by Henna King
Manly Guy is specifically formulated for men. It is safe, and all natural. The product is hassle-free as it can be applied just by adding water to form a paste. One can get great natural looking hair, brows, beard and mustache color. Can be used every time one needs to cover up gray (even weekly on the beard and mustache). This product doesn’t require an additional conditioner as it seen to condition the hair as it colors, so one would obtain a healthier, thicker and fuller look hair than ever before. Each package contains 100 grams of finely sifted powder, gloves, hair cap, and application instructions.
- No burning, itching, or rash is experienced.
- Safe, natural, cruelty-free and is made with organic ingredients.
- Color is seen to last 4 – 8 weeks before beginning to fade.
- Requires patience to apply.
- Is not to be seen very effective to cover up grays on beards.
- Enhanced red color is seen to be obtained on thin hair.
#6: Vegetal safe color for Beard by Vegetal
Vegetal safe color is a professional hair coloring treatment with a perfect formulation of advanced bioactive ingredients that work together to impart a natural lustrous color to an individuals hair. Is a long lasting natural hair color that tends to protect and strengthen the hair fiber. Offers a natural color shine to the hair with the aid of natural color agents like indigo, coffee and is enriched with a natural treasure of amla and shikakai that is also seen to control hair fall and dandruff. Renders maximum grey hair coverage and inhibits greying of hair further.
- Is made out of 100% natural herbs and extracts like Indigo, Shikakai, Brahmi, Manjistha and many more.
- Renders a lustrous natural color shade to the beard and mustache hair and covers up the maximum grey hair.
- Shields the hair from external pollution, dust, and dirt.
- Is hair, scalp, and skin friendly.
#7: Men’s Select Hair Dye, with Beard and Mustache Dye by Men’s Select
Men’s Select Hair Dye is a natural ammonia free facial hair dye color that can be applied in five minutes. This product is an ultimate blending of hair color that easily blends away grey hair. The gentle no peroxide and no ammonia formula makes it the dye a gentle hair color. The no mix and mess combination makes it hassle-free to use. The color is seen to last until the gray grows back providing a guaranteed natural-looking result.
- Quick and easy application.
- Long lasting color.
- The dye is a brush-in hair dye gel.
#8: Light Brown Henna Beard Dye for Men – 100% Natural & Chemical Free Dye for Hair, Beard & Mustache by The Henna Guys.
Light Brown Henna Beard Dye for Men is a 100% raw, natural, cruelty-free, vegan, and non-GMO product. Is an excellent natural alternative to chemical hair dyes that efficiently works on grey and light colored hair. The dye is not seen to cause burns, itches, rashes or chemical reactions. Is proved to be safe to use on beard and mustache.
- The product is 100% unprocessed, natural, cruelty-free, vegan, dye.
- Safe to use on the facial hair.
- Doesn’t stain the other body parts or clothes.
- Zero side effects.
- This dye only works on grey and light colored hair.
- Messy to apply at times.
- Has a strong odor.
#9: Godefroy Professional Tint Kit
The Godefroy Professional Tint for beards is very effective even on the most resistant grey hairs. This cream-based formula is no drip and the very easy to apply. One package contains 20 premeasured capsules hence one get to dye their facial hair 20 times for the price. The color is seen to last for at least three weeks. This dye can be applied on the mustache, sideburns or any other part of the facial hair that needs some color. The dye does not stain the face skin.
- A cream formula with a simple application process.
- Doesn’t dye the face skin.
- Easy to removal process in minutes.
- The color lasts for three weeks.
- Slightly overpriced.
- The dye is seen to cause allergy to sensitive skin.
#10: Beard Darkening Formula – Tuxedo Black by Most Interesting Look
If a man is looking for a deep, dark, black beard with a minimum of gray showing he is advised to choose the TUXEDO BLACK Beard Darkening System. This dye is seen to leave only a very little amount of gray while creating a rich, full-looking black beard. The dye can be applied quickly with no mixing or showering required and can be used once or twice a week or as desired.
- Creates a natural looking dark beard with some gray residual.
- Hassle- free to use with no mixing and showering.
- Contents are seen to last on average for 60 days
- The product is seen to remove splotchy and uneven gray look.
In most cases, one may not get the color one expects in the first attempt of beard dyeing. After all, the beard dyeing is temporary or the dyed hairs will be replaced by new ones.
Most experts think that short beards can be colored but research states that it’s better to wait for the beard to grow a bit longer before dyeing it to obtain a good outcome.
If an individual prefers to dye his beard white a pivotal point that every man needs to know that it’s harder to achieve a white beard dye as it is a white dye’s efficiency is less than darker colors. The best option is to spray-on a color that can efficiently provide a full coverage even if a person has a darker beard.