What is Curly Hair?: Studies have revealed that curly hair depends on about 80 to 90 percent on genetics. Curly hair is actually a long hair which has variations in both the texture and the follicle of the hair. Due to the asymmetrical nature of the hair follicles, the hair gets curly and it is up to six inches in length till the curls remain in proper shape.
How to Get Curly Hair for Men
- To achieve healthy and natural curly locks you will first need to skip the shampoo. Instead, use a conditioner for moisturizing the scalp and the hair.
- You can use coconut oil or any other product that will keep the hair conditioned and nourished.
- This will help to combat the dryness of the hair. Applying the conditioner after a shower can give better results.
- Use a comb with wide teeth instead of a brush to style the hair when it is wet. Apply your fingers gently in between the hairs to form the curls.
- Finish off using a blow dryer with the diffuser and set the heat o the lowest.
- Make sure that you achieve the desired length of the hair if you want to get proper curls.
- Do not trim, buzz, taper, layer or cut your hair till the desired length is achieved.
- The next step would be to take a shower without using a shampoo.
- Get out of the shower and use your finger gently in between the hairs when the hair is still wet.
- This helps the hair to gain weight because of the wetness and thus help to form the curls.
- The hair becomes coiled due to the water retained by the hair.
- It is important to know what type of curly hair you have, whether it is a long and kinky coiled hair or long and wavy hair because this influences the change of the hair from wet till it dries up.
- Stay away from shampooing your hair frequently and using hair products too often.
- Instead, use hair sprays, natural oils, leave-in conditioners, hair-mousse, styling creams or a light-hold hair gel.
- You will need to pass through a stage when the curls will look awkward, especially when the hair reached about 4 inches.
- You need not do anything except taking to long hairstyles. The awkwardness will gradually disappear when the hair reached about 6 inches in length.
- Take a hot oil massage for your hair so that the scalp and the roots of the hair get proper nourishment to help in proper growth. Heat up a mixture of olive oil, argan oil and coconut oil and apply it with your fingers on the scalp for about 10 minutes. This will help to condition the hair.
- Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar for stimulating the hair growth. Take three parts to one part of vinegar and water.
- Apply a deep conditioner, following the instructions for use and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare a mask with Aloe Vera and egg white and cover our hair for about 20 minutes. Wash your hair with cold water. Leave the hair to dry.
- Give your hair an onion rinse. Boil half an onion in water, let it cool and rinse your hair with the solution. This will promote hair growth as well add shine.
- Natural curls will appear and become permanent when the hair reaches 6 inches in length.
- Hair Cream – Always apply hair cream on dry hair and never at the roots. This will calm down the fuzziness of the hair.
- Oil Products – Never use oil products on dry hair. The best process would be to apply a hot oil treatment just after a shower.
- If you are using serum, ensure that you apply the serum at the ends and not at the roots. This will prevent the hair from becoming too much greasy.
- Apply a mousse only at the roots of the hair to prevent the hair from becoming dull and sticky.
- When using a dry shampoo, apply at the roots of the hair and wash your hair once in a while. This will help the hair to be clean and free of the natural oils remaining on the scalp.
- When using a hairspray, hold the spray about 12 inches from the head so that the spray covers wider areas instead of concentrating on a smaller area.
- Apply sea salt spray only after you have finished styling your hair. It is better to apply the spray half way of the hair and then gradually going down towards the bottom.
- Trim your hair regularly to avoid split ends.
#1: Curl Cream Gel by Royal Locks
About The Product: This 3-in-1 professional hair styling product is specially designed for curled or wavy hair which could be natural or permed. It is the perfect blend of various high grade ingredients and can work as a Curl Styling Product, Leave in Conditioner, or Anti Frizz solution. This Gel based product is an absolute blessing for those people who use hair gels, hair creams or are fed up of conditioning their hair. This product smoothens, repairs, moisturizes and gives volume to the hair. This product is designed for every type of curled hair be it curls, permanent waves, thick, thin, textured, mixed, grey, colored, or natural hair.
- It is paraben or sulfate free, so th product is less damaging.
- It is enriched with Moroccan Argan Oil which extra nourishes your hair.
- Safe for colored or damaged hair
- It is lightly scented
- Using too much of the product might give a greasy look
- It could make your hair look crispy or give them a wet look.
This product as compared to other products of this range is the best performing gel based Curl Cream. It smoothness and nourishes your hair even if they are severely damaged.
#2: Forming Cream – Hair Styling Cream for High Hold & Matte Finish
About the product: this forming cream is formulated in such a way that it gives our hair that it gives you the perfect styling for your hair. It moulds your hair and holds your hair in exact style and form you want. This product is manufactured with high quality products and therefore gives the hair a natural look while maintaining the hairstyle and bouncy hold. It also gives a professional matte finished to the hair. Smooth Viking Care took extra care while making this product and made it for all types of hair including curly, straight, wavy, thick or thin.
- The product contains Organic Argan Oil, natural Soybean Oil Beeswax, and Green Tea Extract which nourishes the hair
- Since it is water based product, it is easy to apply and remove.
- It might have a strong smell.
- The product doesn’t hold on for long
So basically, if you need a decently performing product which gives you a professional look and nourish your hair at the same time while you can ignore its smell, this product is for you.
#3: Design Essentials Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse, Almond and Avocado Collection
About the Product: this product is specially formulated with natural ingredients and is made for natural waves, curls, and kinky-coily textures. This mousse helps control all the baby-hair and gives a chic, professional and neat look. It can be applied on both wet and dry hair. It also has detangling properties which helps you save time and effort. It was specially created with fast drying formula. NO SULFATES, NO PARABENS, NO PARAFFIN, NO PETROLATUM, NO MINERAL OIL.
- This product is enriched with Olive Oil, Vitamin B Complex, Sweet Almond and Avocado oils.
- It defines, polishes, moisturizes and seals the look of the hair
- It lasts for long enough to get through the day.
- It doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens, paraffin, petrolatum or mineral oil.
- You might have to use a lot of the product to get a hold
- It might make the hair brittle and dry
- It makes the hair crunchy and has a strong smell.
The product has more positives than negatives, so the product is recommended.
#4: TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier
About the product: this product is especially designed for curly hair but works perfectly for straight hair too. It gives a professional salon look and leaves the hair frizz free. It smoothes out the baby hair and gives a neat look. It can be used on natural curls and permed hair too.
- This product has an anti-frizz formula.
- It smoothens out your hair and defines the curls
- It might leave the hair looking crunchy and crispy
- If used too much, might cause an oily look.
This product suits curly hair and therefore is recommended.
#5: Curl Rescue Leave in Conditioner by Royal Locks
About the product: This product is for all those curly locks which need repair. When used, this product shows visible difference and repairs the damage. This leave-in conditioner seals the split ends.
- It is Paraben, Sulfate and Alcohol Free.
- It also softens the hair apart from reducing the damage.
- It moisturizes the hair
- It sometimes leaves the hair dry and coarse.
Training Curls with Washing
- Use the right products that can prevent your hair from any breakage. Do not use products that contain a high content of alcohol.
- Use the right hair conditioner so that the curls do not get dry and damaged. You can make your own hair conditioner at home using homemade mayonnaise, applying to the hair at room temperature.
- Follow the proper technique and avoid shampooing your hair often.
- Wash your hair once in a while and handle your hair gently, using your fingers and a wide tooth comb. Do not ever use a brush.
- To get your curly hair have more volume, use a diffuser. This will help to minimize the frizz and even out the pattern of the curls. Squeeze out the moisture from the hair after a shower and then apply a mousse that is heating protectant. When the hair is still wet use your fingers to twirl the curls into the desired shape. Then plop the strands of your hair into the diffuser and start working.
- Refresh your curls by using an iron which is similar in diameter to the curls. This will help to perk the hair.
- Go for creative stylings like the top knot and the braided top knots.
- Other creative styling includes the Braid Out, Dutch Braid, Slicked Back Ponytail and the Pulled Back Curls.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Use lots of hair conditioner
- Take deep conditioning treatments
- Detangle your hair from the bottom up
- Prepare a product mix after experimenting with different ingredients to check for the best-suited one.
- Apply hair products only on wet hair.
- Don’t brush your hair when it is dry
- Don’t apply hair conditioners on the scalp
- Don’t keep straightening your hair all the time
- Don’t lose your patience when curling your hair
Some Useful Tips
- Wear a nightcap or a pillowcase at bedtime
- Have a dry haircut
- Apply pineapple juice to your hair before going to bed. This will help you style your curls flawlessly.
- Use a cotton T-Shirt to dry your hair in order to cut down on the frizz.
- Use a diffuser for styling set at the coolest
- Do not use products that contain harsh chemicals.
- Stop using shampoo.
- Use a curling iron for fixing unruly curls.
- Apply coconut oil before going to sleep
- Use a leave-in hair conditioner
- Try out a skin test before using any product.