Are you taking the bold decision of shaving your head completely? Kudos! You are 13% more powerful and confident than the rest of the world, according to research.
Desirable celebs like David Beckam, Vin Diesel, Jason Statham and Tom Hardy, Dwayne Johnson have already proved this! Have you noticed how strong and poise these people look even with their clean shaved heads?
So, having a shaved head is not a taboo anymore and in fact it’s in style. So, in this article, we have got the step-by-step process of shaving your head properly. But, before that we would like to provide you with some important tips, so you never go wrong while shaving. Take a look!
What are the Benefits of Shaving your Head?
For most of the men, baldness is inevitable as they age. So, as the famous saying goes, “When you cannot fight them, join them”, you must also not fight with nature but cope with the changes it brings. What if you cannot prevent balding, you can change the way you look!
Plus, there are a wide range of advantages of shaving the head. After reading these, you will be proud of the decision you took. Here are some of those:
You don’t have to deal with hair loss
Hair Fall is a common problem among both men and women. Some of the men even face issues like receding hairline or even hair thinning. In the worst cases, men also develop conditions like alopecia, which can cause patchy hair fall.
To prevent all these, instead of going for costly treatments, you can simply shave your head and look healthy.
Thin hair or visible bald spots always make you feel less confident about yourself. Some men even shy away from giving public appearances due to these. So, instead of keeping the unhealthy hair as it is, you can shave your head and flaunt it in style. If you take great care of your scalp, you are sure to attract people with your look.
If you are someone with a family history of baldness or suffering with hormonal imbalance, hair loss or baldness is unavoidable. Instead of investing too much on costly transplants or other processes, you can simply opt for a nude look.
Once you choose to have a bald look, you are free from frequent salon visits, investing in expensive shampoos, heating tools and other hair products. Also, you don’t even have to carry a comb with yourself anywhere you go. This just means you don’t have to worry about the way you look, even if you are attending an important client meeting.
You can try different beard styles
As your head is completely shaved, everyone’s focus will now be on your beard. So, you can flaunt all kinds of beard looks, be it a full-grown beard or a trimmed one.
You will look younger
While baldness will make you look older, a clean shaved look will make you look a lot younger. This is because there won’t be any visible grey hair, so you are assured of a youthful look each time.
Tips for Shaving your Head for the Very First Time:
Now that you’re getting ready to shave your head, there are certain things you need to keep in mind.
Always shave after shower
If you are shaving your head for the first time, you are mostly prone to injuries and cuts. To keep yourself safe, you must make sure you do it at the right time. Also, your hair will be soft just when you are out of shower. This means you will need less pressure to shave.
Use a gel but not a cream
Now that you are shaving your head for the first time, the skin on your head will be very sensitive. So, using a shaving gel is the best option. This will not only improve the quality of the shave but also reduce the chances of injuries and steep cuts.
Ensure proper lighting
For you to shave properly, you need a good view of your head. So, you need the right amount of mirrors along with proper bright lighting.
Direction is important
There is a common myth among people that you must always shave against the direction of the hair growth. But, that’s wrong. To prevent major cuts, it is always advised to shave in the same direction of the hair growth.
Buy the right skin products
Your scalp will be wide open once you remove all the hair. So, your head will be exposed to sun and also harmful UV rays. In order to protect the skin on your scalp, you need the right moisturiser and SPF. Also, make sure you invest in high-quality shampoos that are free from sulphates and parabens that also have moisturizing properties.
Keep a cleanser handy!
First-timers usually develop cuts and bumps during the shave. So, always make sure you have benzoyl peroxide with you. You can apply it directly to the scalp once in a day till the cuts fade away.
The Best Ways to Shave your Head – Using Razors and Clippers
Now that you know the merits and the right way to shave your head, let us now dive into the various methods to do the same.
1. Shaving with Razor
Note: Before you start shaving your head using the razor, make sure you cut your hair short if you have thick hair. The length of your hair should be as close to the scalp as possible. You can use clippers for this purpose.
Next, you can follow these steps to shave your head smooth:
- The foremost thing you need to do is to have a hot water bath. Instead, you can also wash your head under the sink using your fingers and use a damp cloth to wipe the scalp completely, as shown in the video.
- Once you are done with this, use a moisturizing shaving cream and then apply it all over your head to form a thick layer of foam.
- Take a razor with sharp blades and start shaving from the top of your head in the direction of the hair growth.
- Rinse the blade under tap water after every stroke to remove the cream and hair.
- Once you finish the front and sides, then start shaving the back side.
- Once you are done with shaving the entire head, wash your head and then clean it with a damp cloth to remove any hair left out.
- Now, take the shaving cream once again and apply it all over your head.
- This time, go in the opposite direction of your hair growth and shave the head starting from the top, then sides and then the back. REMEMBER! Shave in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Make sure there’s no traces of hair left over at the sides, near the ears and near the neckline.
- Wash your scalp once you’re done with. Then, wipe it with a damp cloth.
2. Shaving with clippers
If you are someone afraid of using a razor or have the experience of developing cuts or bumps after shaving, then you must consider using clippers for shaving the head.
Note: Make sure the attachment of the clipper is 3-inch or less.
Here’s the step-by-step procedure of shaving your head using clippers:
- Start by shaving the sides in the opposite direction of hair growth i.e., from the ear to the top of the head.
- For shaving using the clipper, you don’t need any shaving cream or gel, so it saves a lot of time and effort.
- Once you are done with the sides, start shaving the top part of your head from front to back direction.
- Then, start shaving the back part of your head in the opposite direction of hair growth. For a precise picture, use a mirror to clearly see the back of your head while shaving.
- Once you are done with shaving every side, use a brush to dust out all the left out hair on your scalp.
- If you still find some uneven spots left, once again run the clipper on those spots and you are done.
3. Shaving with a straight Razor:
A straight razor ensures a much closer shave than the normal razor as it can be easily adjusted according to the shape of your head. So, before using a straight razor, you need to be exactly aware of the curves of your head.
Here’s how you shave your head using a straight razor:
- If this is the first time you are shaving your head, first try and get the buzz cut using a clipper. Trim down the hair so well that you can easily shave later.
- Start by applying a pre-shave oil for a smoother and hassle-free shaving. You can even skip this step and start directly by applying a shaving cream till the lather is produced.
- Next, grab the straight razor and hold it properly till you feel comfortable.
- First, start shaving in the direction of hair growth. This prevents injuries and serious cuts.
- Hold the razor in a 30-degrees angle and start by shaving the top part of the head first, next the sides and then the back.
- You will need to put a very little pressure while shaving using this razor. So, the process is easy.
- Be careful and cautious when shaving the sensitive parts of the head, like behind the ears.
- Make sure you use a proper mirror while shaving every side and ensure that your head is clearly visible to you.
- If you are happy with the results of this first shave, you can stop it here. Else, repeat the same process above.
- Then, rinse off the head to remove any excess foam or left out hair. Moisturize the scalp and keep it hydrated for the next 24 hours.
4. Shaving with the Head Shaver (electric)
This is one of the easiest and modern methods to shave your head. It doesn’t require any meticulous process and is very easy and harmless to use.
Here’s the step-by step procedure:
- Keep the head shaver charged priorly to ensure there’s no stopping in between the shaving process.
- The head shaver has flexible heads, so it can easily adjust with the contours of the head.
- This means you don’t have to put much effort while shaving the curves of your head.
- Start by shaving the top part of the head and then move to the sides. You can use the head shaver in a similar way as the head massager. Also, you don’t have to worry about any accidental cuts or bruises.
- Most of the head shavers are efficient enough to shave the head in one go. But, if you think some of the hair is left over, you can go for another round.
How to Maintain Your Shaved Head?
You somehow with all the efforts have shaved your head. But, that’s not the end of the story. Your scalp is vulnerable to all kinds of exposure, be it pollution, UV rays or even dirt. So, it is essential to take care of your head to keep it smooth and healthy-looking. Here are some of the tips for you:
Only use a bald head shampoo
Though you don’t have hair now, even your bald head requires frequent washing. However, the soaps do not respond the right way to the scalp as they do with the rest of the body. So, you need to invest in the right bald head shampoo. Some body washes with less chemicals too work fine for your scalp.
Moisturizing is a must!
Did you know, though you are devoid of hair, you are not free from dandruff? Yes, if you don’t maintain your scalp properly, you are prone to dandruff and other issues. So, you must use moisturizing lotion every day. If yours is an oily scalp, make sure you use the hygiene wipes often to keep the head healthy and oil-free. Also, use an SPF whenever you step out of your house.
Oil massage the scalp
To ensure better blood circulation, you need to massage your scalp regularly with oil. This not only helps the hair follicles grow quickly but also keeps your scalp healthy.
Whether you want to take the bold step and shave your head for style or if you are someone suffering with hair thinning, imminent baldness or receding hairline, this article will help you do it in a generous way. We have provided you with 4 ways of shaving your head and have also added some important safety measures to follow while doing the act.
We really hope you find our article useful. If so, share your experience of shaving your head in the comments section below.