Hair straightening for men- A complete guide: With the rise in importance of men’s grooming, it’s perfectly normal for men to be found shopping hair tools on display in any department store or even borrowing their wife or girlfriend’s set.
A couple of methods are available to straighten the curly or wavy hair. The straightening process can be done temporarily with a blow dryer and comb or a flat iron will also aid in achieving straight strands. A relaxer helps to chemically straighten the hair in a semi-permanent procedure. Research, trial and error methods will help a man to not only choose the kind of styling equipment but also the products that work best for him.
Temporary hair straightening techniques
The following steps aid in achieving hair straightening temporarily.
Method 1: Blow Dryer+ Comb
#1: Hair wash and conditioning
Before starting the blowout the hair needs to be clean and conditioned. A conditioner helps to soften the hair, making it easier to comb for people with intensely curly hair. Pat dry the hair with a towel post a hair wash.
- Smoothing conditioners are seen to simplify the combing process during the hair straightening process.
- For men with curly or tangled hair, it is advised to leave in the conditioner and detangle the hair with the fingers.
#2: Hair moisturizing
Apply a coin-sized amount of coconut or argan oil into the palm and rub the hands together and run the oil through the hair from the root to tip.
- Argan and coconut oil are seen to protect the hair from heat damage.
- It is pivotal to moisturize the hair that a man plans to straighten.
#3: Comb the hair as straight as possible.
To prevent hair breakage run a comb from the ends of the hair to the roots. Comb in sections to free the hair from tangles and knots.
- For men with slightly wavy hair, combing alone may aid in hair straightening.
- For curly hair in addition to combing heat from a blow dryer in will aid to completely straighten the hair.
- It is recommended to use a wide-toothed comb for individuals with tight curls and for thinner hair, a fine-toothed comb needs to be used.
#4: Blow dry a section of hair as it is combed.
Put the blow dryer on the medium heat setting and move it over the hair as it is combed. A nozzle attachment aids in controlling the airflow. Comb down from the roots to the tips. As the hair dries, a straighter hair will be obtained or observed.
Note: Place the blow dryer about 1 inch/2.5 cm away from the hair during the blow dry process.
#5: Blow dry and comb the rest of the hair.
Avoid using the blow dryer over one section of hair for too long as it is seen to be damaged by the heat of the dryer. Once the hair is straightened in one section, move to a different region of the hair. Continue doing this until all the hair straightening process is complete.
#6: Smoothing serum application.
Smoothing serum is seen to alleviate hair fizziness and enhances shine. Apply a small amount into the palm and work the serum from the ends to the hair roots. The popular smoothing creams available in the market are Alterna Haircare Caviar CC Cream, Smooth ‘N Shine Hair Polisher, and Kenra Platinum Blow-Dry Spray.
Method 2: Flat Ironing
#1: Hair wash and conditioning.
The hair needs to be clean before the flat ironing process. A detangling shampoo and smoothing conditioner enhances the hair straightening procedures.
#2: Dry the hair completely.
The hair needs to be air dried or dried with a blow dryer prior to the use of a flat iron. The heat from the flat iron damages the hair if used on a wet hair.
#3: Heat protection serum application.
Work the serum into the strands, from the roots to hair tips. Heat protection serum shields the hair from any heat damage that may occur during the flat iron application.
Note: The serum should be applied to hair strands.
#4: Comb and flat iron a hair section.
Switch on the flat iron to the lowest setting. Gather an inch or 2.5 cm of the hair with a comb and close the plates of the flat iron around the roots of the hair section that is gathered. Then, move the flat iron over the section to straighten it.
- The temperature of flat iron should be maintained at 120 °C (248 °F).
- The use of light tension in the flat iron is recommended to avoid hair damage due to pulling.
#5: Repeat flat iron till the hair straightening procedure is complete.
Continue ironing different hair sections until it’s completely straight. If performed properly, the hair should be straight without any waves or curls.
Note: Avoid leaving the flat iron on a section of hair for more than 1-2 seconds as the chances of burning the hair are high.
#6: Brush the hair to style it.
A styling gel application will play a critical role in styling the hair as desired. Comb the strands back to have a slicked-back look or part the hair to one side. Experiment with different straight hairstyles and choose the one that best suits one’s taste.
Semi-permanent hair straightening techniques.
Chemical treatments/ Chemical hair straightening creams aid in straightening the hair for a shorter time period. The steps involved in this semi-permanent hair straightening includes:
#1: Refrain from shampooing the hair for 2-3 days prior to the relaxing treatment.
Scalp irritation if present will be aggravated by the application of a relaxer is applied and shampooing the hair could also leave tiny micro-abrasions on the scalp.
#2: Read the instructions on the chemical relaxer.
The instructions with the specific application methods and treatment times need to be followed strictly to avoid hair damages.
Note: It is predominantly recommended to seek the help of professionals.
#3: Mix the relaxer chemicals to form a paste.
Pour the chemicals together in the cup until it’s well mixed and turns into a white paste.
Note: A pair of rubber gloves will protect the skin from the caustic relaxer chemicals.
#4: Apply the relaxer with the aid of an application brush.
Section the hair with the aid of a wide-toothed comb. Begin with the ends of the hair and move towards the roots and edges, till a full coverage over that section of hair is achieved. Later move to another section and repeat the process until the relaxer is applied to all hair portions.
- Take help during the application of the relaxer on to the hair.
- The body heat near the edges will enhance the activity of the relaxer, so refrain applying the relaxer to the roots or edges first to avoid hair damage or over hair relaxation.
#5: Leave the relaxer in the hair for 10-15 minutes.
The instructions will provide the exact standing time of the relaxer on the hair. If an individual notices any extreme burning or irritation, it is advised to immediately wash off the relaxer with a clarifying shampoo.
#6: Shampooing the hair with a clarifying shampoo.
If the relaxer package contains a shampoo, use that to wash off the relaxer post the standing time. If not, use a neutralizing shampoo to wash the relaxer out. Post-shower, brush the hair to view the obtained outcome.
- The standing time of the relaxer should not exceed 10-15 minutes.
- The effect of the relaxer will last for 6-8 weeks.
- Post washing the hair with a clarifier, follow up with a conditioner and rinse it out with cold water.
Some of the top rated hair straightening creams include Kiehl’s hair care – stylist series straightening cream, Jason high styling gel, L’Oreal Vive thickening and grooming 6.8 oz Gel and John Frieda Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon Styling Cream 4oz.
Hair Straighteners for Men
A man’s hairstyle might benefit from a mini hair straightener if their hair falls into the following categories:
- Curly hair that can be periodically straightened.
- Men suffering from occasional frizz.
- Hair with a distinct kink in it.
- Men who want the hair to go in one direction.
- Men who prefer the hair to be flaunted in multiple directions.
- For dudes who spend too much time setting the hair and need convenience.
Mini Hair straightening Procedure
For beginners using a mini hair, straightener may be difficult, but practice will help to master it. The following steps help a man use the straightener at ease:
- * Plug in and turn on.
- * Initially set the temperature to the minimum.
- * Wait for the straightener to heat up.
- * Place a small section of hair inside the plates and pull the plates from the root to the tip.
- * Avoid letting the straightener rest on the hair for longer than a couple of seconds.
- * Finish off by styling the hair with a wax/mousse/gel and plug off the hair tool.
Pointers for an efficient use of mini hair straighteners on men’s hair.
- Prior to the use of mini straighteners, a man needs to arm himself with the right haircare. Be sure to apply a heat resistant barrier spray before subjecting the hair to high heat.
- Refrain from using the highest temperature setting as it won’t enhance the job but will increase the stress on the hair.
- Avoid using the hair tool in the same hair section as the chances of the burning or frying of the hair are high.
- Invest in a mini straightener with auto-shutoff to avoid a burnt or fried hair.
Some of the top hair straighteners for men are BaByliss PRO nano titanium mini straightening iron, GHD classic hair straighteners, Miuphro mini hair straightener brush, Huachi hair straightener rechargeable mini flat iron, and NMISS portable plate car mini travel hair straightener.