Wet shaving is always a bit risky. And this is why people prefer to use a safety razor. While talking about wet shaving, there are many more factors that play a huge role in the quality of your shave.
Along with a safety razor, you will need a great blade that works with it. Choosing a wrong blade can be a bit risky as it might lead to cuts and nicks. However, using the right safety razor blade can help you prevent cuts, nicks, and ingrown hair.
Here are a few basic factors that you must look for while selecting the blade.
Hair & Blade Type
If you have fine hair pattern or if you have sensitive and acne-prone skin, you can select a less aggressive blade.
For long or coarse facial hair, you should select a sharp blade.
If you are new to wet shaving or if you are in the process of learning it, it is suggested to select a blade that is not too sharp or aggressive.
There are some other factors as well that you should look for before buying safety razor blades. We have explained them in the Buying Guide along with a tutorial on how to use the blades properly.
We are also going to check for some of the best replaceable DE safety razor blades. We have shortlisted 10 best products to make your purchase even easier. Let’s have a look!
Top 10 Safety Razor Blades of 2020
1. Feather Razor Blades Hi-Stainless Double Edge:
About the Product:
- This product provides 100 double edge safety razor blades for the prefect shaving experience.
- These blades are made with stainless steel and have been imported from Japan.
- All razor blades are coated with platinum.
- Double edged
- Clean and close shave within minutes
- Platinum coated for smooth finish
- May cause nicks and cuts
This product has been rated highly by users and is preferred by a lot of customers. They are wickedly sharp and hence help provide the perfect clean shaven look. Since, this product is super sharp the chances of there being nicks and cuts are higher and hence people who are new to razors should not start by using these for their first time.
2. Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blade:
About the Product:
- This is a sharp double edge safety razor.
- This product has been imported from Germany
- It is great for obtaining a clean and close shave.
- Clean shave
- Double edge blade
- Smooth on thin skin
- May cause cuts
This product is highly rated and is loved by many customers. It is great for all age groups of people and is liked by everyone alike. This product is a great buy since it works well on soft and thin skin. It is a sharp and smooth razor which is great on almost all skin types. If you are new to shaving the chances of there being cuts become higher.
3. Van Der Hagen Stainless Steel Razor Blades:
About the Product:
- This is a blade which is made with stainless steel.
- This is sharp and smooth at the same time.
- It has been tempered with the help of ice and has been provided with a Teflon coating.
- This product has been made in Solingen, Germany which is known as the city of blades.
- Sharp blades
- Helps in a close shave
- Feels smooth
- It is covered with a Teflon coating
- May cause nicks and cuts for first time users.
This product is loved by a lot of people. This product has been rated as one of the best safety razor blades present in the market today. This product contains double edged safety razor blades which are extra smooth and the right amount of sharp. These can be used to get the perfect clean shaven look. These blades may cause nicks and cuts if safety razor blades are being used for the first time.
4. VIKINGS BLADE Swedish Steel Replacement Razor Blades:
About the Product:
- This product is mild and is great for hair that is not coarse.
- This product has been made for sensitive skin.
- It is great for starters and for people who have soft hair, which are not coarse.
- It is wrapped in a double paper for opening safely and for a safe disposal as well.
- Made for soft skin
- Coated with platinum
- Smooth and not overly aggressive
- Not good for coarse hair
This product is liked by a lot of people who buy it. It is made with stainless steel and it great for first time users since the blade is not very sharp. This product is not recommended for people with coarse hair since the blade is not very sharp. This makes it a great product for first time users.
5. Silver Blue Double Edge Stainless Razor Blades:
About the Product:
- These are a set of great and affordable double edged safety razor blades.
- It is a high quality blade which has been made to fit a variety of double edge safety razor.
- It is made in Russia with stainless silver blue blades.
- High quality blades
- Easy to fit into razor
- May cause nicks and cuts when using a safety razor for the first time
These are super sharp blades from a brand that is trusted by all men. They are super sharp and are made with high quality blades. This product is great for people who have coarse hair and want a clean shave. These blades provide you with a clean and close shave. It may end up causing nicks and cuts for first time users since these blades are super sharp.
6. Personna Double Edged Razor Blades:
About the Product:
- There are 200 Personna Double Edges Blades present in this product.
- They are glide coated with stainless steel.
- The blades are 25% sharper and have been made better over the years.
- These blades are wrapped individually so that they are easy to use and easy to throw.
- Glide coated, for smooth shave
- Provides clean and close shave
- 25% sharper blade
- May cause pimples if hair are tugged on, while shaving
This product is liked by many buyers. It is a product which provides a great shaving experience. It is safe to use this product only in a safety shaving razor. This is a great product for the price quoted. It is a sharp and smooth blade to give you the best shaving experience. It helps shave close to the skin. They are wrapped individually which makes disposal easier.
7. 7 O’ clock Super Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor
About the Product:
- These blades provide you with the smoothest-shaving experience.
- These blades are durable and are of outstanding quality
- It is made with premium quality of stainless steel and platinum blades.
- Smooth shave
- Provides a clean, close shave
- Too sharp for first time use.
This product is liked by a lot of buyers. It is from one of the most well- known companies in the world to be producing razors. This product provides you with a smooth shaving experience along with a clean shave. These blades are sharp and smooth at the same time and help in attaining the perfect clean shaven look.
Kai 100 Pack Stainless Steel Double Edged Razor Blades
About the Product:
- These are made with high quality, medical grade stainless steel.
- They are known for their superior shaving experience.
- It helps you shave comfortably without being overly aggressive.
- This blade is extra sharp and is best suited for experienced shavers.
- Stainless steel double edged razor
- Superior shaving experience
- Made with medical grade stainless steel
- Better suited for experienced shavers
This product is liked by a lot of people and is a preferred choice of blades for a lot of people. These blades help provide the perfect clean shave that you have been waiting for. These blades help shave hair close to the skin. It has a fine shaving experience and is better suited for men who are experienced wet shavers.
9. 100 Polsilver Super Iridium Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
About the Product:
- These are made with high quality razor blades which are coated with platinum.
- These are made to fit different types of double edged safety razors.
- Each blade is packed individually for safety and comfort.
- Made with high quality razor blades
- Fits different razors
- Sharp and smooth blade
- May cause cuts for new users
This product is liked by a lot of people. It gives you great clean shaven experience with its superior quality of blades. These blades are made with great quality of stainless steel which provides a smooth shave. It is best suited for experienced shavers because it is sharp and may cause nicks and cuts if you aren’t used to shaving with a double edged razor blade.
10. Derby Extra Double Edged Safety Razor Blades
About the Product:
- Made with hardened razor blades which last for a long time.
- Individually wrapped for ease and safety.
- Made with high quality stainless steel.
- Provides a comfortable shave
- Made with a coating which increases the durability of the blade
- It is not as sharp as some blades
This product is preferred by a lot of users. It is made with great quality razor blades that help by providing a great shaving experience. This is a product which is from a company that can be trusted. This improves your daily grooming experience manifold.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Safety Razor Blades
We have mentioned all the factors here that will help you determine the best safety razor blade for a wet shave.
Determining the type of your facial hair is the first step that will help you understand the type of blade that you should use. Since the facial hair pattern varies from person to person, there are different types of blades for different hair types.
For some men, the facial hair is generally soft and fine whereas other men have coarse hair patterns. Thus, the blade that works for you might not work for others.
Thankfully, the safety razor blades are available in different versions. If you have coarse facial hair, you might have to go for a sharp blade. If your blade is not aggressive enough, you might find it difficult to shave the coarse hair pattern. It also results in lots of pulling and tugging.
The length of the hair is also a factor that you should look into. If you have longer hair, you might as well need a more aggressive blade.
But, if you have sensitive or acne prone skin then you should go for a smooth and less aggressive blade.
Sharpness vs. Smoothness
Buying a dull blade is more or less a waste of money. Given that, buying the sharpest blade also doesn’t promise to give you the best shaving experience. Even though using a sharp blade reduces the number of times you need to pass the blade over the skin, the number of risks involved (like cuts or nicks) is high too.
On the contrary, smoother blades use a smaller angle that decreases the chance of cuts. Since the blades are smooth, you tend to apply more pressure and this eventually causes more irritation to the skin.
Thus, the best blade for shaving is the one that features a combination of both sharpness and smoothness. It should be sharp enough to let you get a close and clean shave and should be smooth enough to prevent you from accidental cuts.
The amount of experience you have in shaving also helps you decide which blade is the best for you. Straight razors generally use sloping angles to achieve the perfect shave. However, unlike these straight razors, the safety razors are not as steep.
If you have just started using the razor, you might accidentally cut your skin initially. It is always suggested to start using a blade that is smooth and less aggressive. Even though this does not eliminate the risk of cuts completely, the chances of deep cuts are definitely low.
You will have to spend some time to learn the correct amount of pressure you should apply to get the best results using your razor and blade.
Quality over Quantity
Initially, you might find it a decent deal to buy a pack of razor blades that contain more number of blades. But what would you do if the quality of those blades is not satisfactory?
Even though it can be a bit challenging to tell right away that how long a razor blade will last, there are some things that you can check for. You can try looking for things such as coatings.
Some manufacturers add special coatings to the blades that make them last longer. For example, blades containing synthetic polymer coating help in reducing the chances of nicks and also help the blade to last for more number of shaves.
Getting Rid Of Used Blades
You should buy a special razor disposal container where you can throw the blades rather than throwing them into the common dustbin. This will prevent accidental cuts, especially if you have small babies at home.
There are some disposal containers that have a capacity of storing blades that you used in the last six months. Some brands even offer convenient slots in the packaging itself where you can directly dispose of the blade.
How to Use Safety Razor Blades for Shaving
Even though there is no hard and fast rule to shave a particular way, following a few basic steps that can help achieve the perfect shave and avoid cuts. They are as follows:
1. Do some prep work
Wash your face with lukewarm water and a face wash to get rid of the dirt. Now apply a pre-shave oil to soften and lubricate your skin.
If you have dry skin and dandruff, it is better if you use a good dandruff shampoo. This will help in improving your shaving experience and will also save you from irritation or discomfort.
Prepping your skin before shaving is very important for your skin. Shave only when you can prep your skin. If you are in a hurry and don’t have time for prepping, it is better to avoid shaving that day.
2. Start lathering
Take a sufficient amount of shaving cream and start lathering up the area where you are planning to shave. The shaving cream helps in retaining heat and moisture to the skin.
It also makes sure that your skin and hair is soft and supple and ready to shave. Applying shaving cream also helps in opening the pores on the skin.
You can use a shaving brush to apply the cream in swirling motion.
Here are some reasons why you should buy a good shaving brush for shaving:
- They help in creating thicker lather when compared to the application with hand.
- The brush lifts the hair from the skin and prepares it for shaving.
- Once you see the amount of lather built using a shaving brush, you will never want to use your hands again.
3. Don’t rush
To get the best and long-lasting results, you should shave your beard perfectly the first time itself. Thus, make sure that you are not rushing while shaving.
Just relax and shave closely and you will definitely get better results.
4. Don’t pass the razor multiple times over an area
Once you have lathered up the area that you are going to shave, make sure that you pass the razor over the skin only once. Don’t pass multiple strokes in the same area until you lather up the same area again.
Once you are satisfied with the shave rinse your face and pat dry with a clean towel. Finish it off with a post-shave moisturizer.
For a clean and smooth shave, always use a fresh blade. It will also reduce the chances of irritation.
Following the above-mentioned steps can help you achieve a clean and neat shave.
Tips for Safety Razor Blades
Here are some tips that can be helpful to you:
- Always hold the razor at a correct angle – approx 30 degrees.
- Stretching the skin using your hand while shaving will help you provide a flat surface so that the razor will glide smoothly.
- Shave only towards the direction of the hair growth and not against it.
- Be careful while shaving near the neck and the area near the Adam’s apple as the hair in those regions don’t grow in a particular pattern.
- While passing the blade across your face, don’t apply too much pressure. Instead, do it lightly and let the weight of the blade perform.
- After shaving, wash your face with cold water. This will help in closing the pores.
- Applying an aftershave moisturizer can help you in dealing with the irritation.
- Try using shaving products that contain natural ingredients rather than choosing products that mostly use chemical ingredients.
How To Change A Safety Razor Blade
Changing the safety razor blade is not as easy as it sounds. Here’s how you can do it without hurting yourself.
1. Check the type of the razor
The first step of changing the safety razor blade is determining the type of safety razor that you have. Check whether it is a single piece, 2-piece, 3-piece, or twist-to-open type.
Another thing that you must consider is how the blades are packed. While some blades come unwrapped, others have a paper wrapping.
2. Unwrap the blades
Most of the razor blades come in a single or double wrapping. Some wrappers even have a tiny amount of adhesive to keep the wrapping in place. Unwrap the blade out by the end and not towards the edge.
3. Open the razor
Open the razor apart by unscrewing the handle. Some razors also allow twist-to-open option where you can simply twist the handle to open the head of the razor.
4. Position the blade
Now, it’s time to place the blade at its mounting position. If you have a 3-piece razor, you might need an extra mounting plate.
Check if you have placed the mounting plate in the correct position. Keeping it upside down might not offer good results. Put the razor top back at its position.
5. Put the handle back in place
By holding the razor head and blades in place, start screwing the handle back at its position. And you are done!
Benefits of Double-Edged Blades
Some of the benefits of Double-Edged Blades are as follows:
Since the cost of razor cartridges add up over time, you can save a lot of money in the long run by buying a double-edged blade.
Unlike other options where you have to throw away plastic cartridges, these blades offer an eco-friendly option as you will have to dispose only one razor.
3. No more razor burns and ingrown hair
Since the double-edged blades are sharp and heavy, you will apply less pressure. This results in a close shave and reduces irritation.
Most of the time, the cartridge of the razors get filled with bacteria and hair from the last shave. These lead to issues like irritation, burns, etc. You won’t face this while using DE blades.
The double-edged blades are very durable and last for a very long time.
Double Edge Blades Vs. Single Edge Blades
While buying a safety razor or blade, 2 terms that you will often listen to are “single edge” and “double edge”. The double edge blades are more common with safety razors.
One of the biggest differences between both the types of blades is the double edge blade allows you to shave from two different sides whereas a single edge blade has only one side.
These single edge blades are a bit stiff and use steep angles that end up causing irritation or bumps to the skin.
On the other hand, the double edge razors allow shaving at a gentle angle. Because of this, you will not have to pass the razor over your skin again and again.
Both types of blades have their own unique features. You can select one on the basis of your personal preference.
How to Re-sharp Razor Blades
You can re-sharpen a razor blade by running it across the leather. This process is often called as stropping.
If you don’t have a leather strop, you can run the blade over a pair of jeans as well. However, stropping over the leather is a better option.
How to Sharpen & Strop an Old Razor Blade
- Keep a strip of jeans or denim over a flat surface.
- Take the blade that you want to sharpen and put it back in the razor.
- Hold the razor against the strop or jeans. You can hold it a normal shaving angle.
- Start running the razor in the opposite direction of shaving over the jeans.
- Repeat it for 10-15 times.
- Now open the blade and turn the blade in the opposite direction.
- Start stropping again for 10-15 times.
Isn’t it an easy process? Sharpening your blade in this way can easily allow you to achieve 2-3 clean shaves. You can even do this with a cartridge razor. The only thing that you should remember is never to run down the blade in the direction of shaving. This will ruin the sharpness of the blade and will also damage the leather strop or jeans.
Frequently Asked Questions
Initially, the blades were made using carbon steel. Since rust starts forming easily on the steel, you can hardly get a single shave from that blade. And thus, these blades were not considered as the best ones.
When compared to carbon steel, stainless steel is a better option as it does not allow rust formation.
To make the blades stand out from one another, few manufactures coat the stainless steel blades with extra materials like platinum or diamond. These coatings help in providing a smooth shave and also cut down on friction.
The life of the blades varies from one another. On average, blades last for around 3-7 shaves. Its durability also depends on the thickness of your facial hair. If you have coarse hair, the blade might not last for a long time when compared to those with fine hair pattern.
If you are new to shaving, it might take a little time to understand how much sharpness is required.
If the blade is not providing a smooth cut and if it is causing tugging and pulling around, maybe the blade is not sharp enough. Very sharp blades are quite powerful on the skin and might lead to cuts or nicks.
The safety blades are quite fragile, majorly due to the edges that are thin. They get easily damaged by beard hair or moisture. To combat these issues, you can follow these tips to store your blade safely:
After rinsing the blade with water, wipe it using a tissue or towel until it is dry.
Don’t keep the replacement blade in the bathroom as it can get damaged. Store it in a dry place like a bedroom.
You can even apply a thin layer of baby oil to prevent the blade from rusting. This will also help in maintaining the sharpness of your blade.
Once you are done shaving, rinse the razor thoroughly with water for 10-15 seconds. This will help you get rid of debris or soap that usually gets settled in the cracks.
Take a towel and dry the razor. Following these steps can help in increasing the lifespan of the blade.
Some other measures that you can take are:
Leave the blade either in a glass of alcohol or barbicide until your next shave. This will not only help in disinfecting the blade but will also prevent the formation of rust.
Shaving is a process that every man undergoes at least once in his lifetime. It is important that one chooses the correct razor when the time comes. The requirement of each man is different because everyone has a different skin type and different type of hair.
Coarser hair requires sharper blades while softer hair requires smooth blades.
Choosing the right shaving blade should be easy as long as the above mentioned things are kept in mind.
Table of Content
- Top 10 Safety Razor Blades of 2020
- 1. Feather Razor Blades Hi-Stainless Double Edge:
- 2. Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blade:
- 3. Van Der Hagen Stainless Steel Razor Blades:
- 4. VIKINGS BLADE Swedish Steel Replacement Razor Blades:
- 5. Silver Blue Double Edge Stainless Razor Blades:
- 6. Personna Double Edged Razor Blades:
- 7. 7 O’ clock Super Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor
- Kai 100 Pack Stainless Steel Double Edged Razor Blades
- 9. 100 Polsilver Super Iridium Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
- 10. Derby Extra Double Edged Safety Razor Blades
- Factors to Consider Before Buying Safety Razor Blades
- How to Use Safety Razor Blades for Shaving
- Tips for Safety Razor Blades
- How To Change A Safety Razor Blade
- Benefits of Double-Edged Blades
- Double Edge Blades Vs. Single Edge Blades
- How to Re-sharp Razor Blades
- How to Sharpen & Strop an Old Razor Blade
- Frequently Asked Questions