Maintaining a clean beard is essential to grow healthy, long and full facial hair. Why?
Microscopic dust and debris, food particles, odors can get stuck in the beard hair. This build up can block pores and dehydrate skin, leading to dandruff, acne and decreased hair growth. Cleansing your beard daily will cleanse all the impurities and prevents buildup in pores.
Beard Shampoo and Beard Wash are the perfect solution to achieve this – as they are specifically designed to the texture and needs of beard hair.
They contain natural ingredients like essential oils, vitamins and carrier oils, which works together in gently scrubbing of dirt and other impurities. It also makes the beard look better and feel softer.
Avoid choosing shampoos that contain alcohol, sulfates, artificial fragrance and parabens.
In this article, we have reviewed Best Beard Shampoos available in the market. We have also provided buying guide for beard shampoos which contains all the information you should consider before making the purchase.
Best Beard Shampoos and Washes for Men
- Contains natural ingredients,
- Tames down frizz.
- Has a light smell.
- Lathers up quickly.
- Value for money.
- Nothing specific to mention.
Final Word- This is a 100% natural beard shampoo with ingredients like beeswax, rosemary oil, sunflower oil, lemon oil and olive oil. Also, it is sulfates and parabens free, so it not only soothes your beard but also prevents irritations and allergies. This shampoo suits all hair types and skin types.
- Moisturizes skin
- Essential oils
- Prevents Frizz
- Not for all hair types
Final Word- This Product Hydrates and Cleanses your skin. It keeps the texture of the hair intact. It prevents frizzy and dry hair. It has essential oils that provides nourishment to the hair and makes it stronger and better. It does not have any chemical that will harm your hair. The end result is cleaner, shiner and better-quality hair.
- Provides moisture
- Improves hair quality
- May make the hair frizzy
Final Word- This product has the goodness of argon oil. It not only nourishes the hair but also help in good hair growth. It keeps the skin and the hair both moisturized and healthy. It provides nourishment to the hair. This product is for all the hair types. It suits your skin and makes it feel fresh and lively. It is one of the most used products by professional stylists.
- Contains aloe vera and argan oil for hydrating the beard.
- Promotes hair growth on the face.
- Rich in lather, so you can quickly wash.
- Mild scent.
- Prevents breakouts.
- Gives shine to your beard.
- Nothing specific to mention.
Final Word- Unlike other shampoos, this one doesn’t just cleanses the beard but also hydrates and moisturizes it. It also reduces dandruff, itchiness and prevents flakes. With all the natural ingredients like argan oil and aloe vera, the scent of this shampoo is also very mild.
- Cleanses and softens the beard while adding shine.
- Contains beard oil for natural moisturization.
- Has an appealing smell.
- Prevents dandruff.
- Comes in a good quantity at an affordable price.
- The pumping action of the bottle is not so good.
Final Word- It contains premium ingredients like jojoba oil, eucalyptus and peppermint, so your facial hair remains clean and fresh always. With its pleasant smell, you feel like using it again and again. The shampoo also lathers up quickly, so your grooming session ends in minutes.
- Eucalyptus, Argon Oil etc
- Shampoo and Conditioner Set
- Moisturises Skin
- Not for all skin types
Final Word- This product contains the goodness of rosemary, Argon Oil, eucalyptus oil, Biotin, Tea Tree. It protects the skin against bacteria’s, keeps the skin fresh, and prevents it from drying up. The ingredients are such that it keeps the skin glowing and the conditioner further adds on the shine and protection. The organic formula helps the skin repair any damage due to pollutants.
Why Should You Wash Your Beard?
There are plenty of reasons why you should wash your beard. The first and the most important reason is maintaining basic hygiene so that your beard looks and smells fresh all the time. Often it happens that while you are eating, some bits of food get stuck to your beard or the scent of the cigarette remains until you wash it the next time. Thus, washing your beard regularly helps in making them soft, moisturized, manageable, and healthy. Some other reasons why you should wash your beard are:
- It helps you get rid of dry and dead flakes from the beard that forms underneath the skin. These flakes are also termed as beardruff.
- A clean, healthy, and fresh beard enhances your overall appearance.
- A tremendous amount of dirt and dust get settled on your beard on a day-to-day basis. Washing the beard regularly helps you get rid of this.
How To Choose The Best Beard Shampoo & Conditioner
Mentioned below are the key factors that you must check for before buying the beard wash that will meet all your requirements.
Before selecting any product related to your grooming requirements, it is very important to understand the product and you should be aware of the ingredients before you start using it.
Check for the ingredients section and see what types of ingredients are present in the beard wash. If the product contains a lot of natural ingredients, it should be a good option for you.
However, if you notice the presence of a lot of chemicals in the product, maybe you should give the product a second thought.
Here are a few ingredients that you should check for before buying a beard shampoo:
- Carrier Oils:
The carrier oils are used in a beard shampoo as conditioning agents. They work on naturally mimicking the sebum oil produced by the skin. These oils help in softening the beard and also help you get rid of the itching. Some of the common carrier oils present in beard washes are olive oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, etc.
- Essential Oils:
The essential oils serve both the purposes very well: fragrance and calm therapeutic effects. The presence of essential oils in a beard washes help in preventing acne and formation of beardruff. It also enhances the growth rate of the beard.
The most important reason essential oil is used in a beard wash or shampoo is the scent. It can deliver a variety of scents such as pine, peppermint, etc that are not only masculine but also refreshing.
The most common vitamins used in a beard shampoo are Vitamin E and Vitamin B12 i.e. Biotin. While vitamin E help in strengthening the beard, biotin is very helpful in improving the growth. It is a very useful ingredient for those who are looking forward to growing a longer and thicker beard.
Many cheap brands of the beard washes that are produced in mass quantities contain harmful ingredients like parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate (used as a foaming agent), etc. The chemicals are used for a variety of purposes such as preservation (parabens), etc. Most men prefer avoiding these chemicals in the grooming products.
Some other ingredients that should be avoided are sulfates, alcohol, and artificial fragrance. These chemicals can clog the pores on the skin and cause irritation.
The scent of the shampoo is totally dependent on your personal taste. The beard grooming products offer a wide range of fragrances that you might find pleasing. If you prefer using a product that has a masculine and earthy scent, you can check for ingredients like sandalwood or cedarwood. There are some neutral scents that have a light and long-lasting effect.
While finalizing the fragrance of the beard shampoo, you should remember the following pointers:
- Natural Scents:
Most of the beard shampoos or beard washes contain natural scents that are derived mostly using essential oils. You might feel that the scent is too strong initially but it subtle down after an hour or so. Natural scents are considered as the safest options and they work great for all skin types (severe sensitive skin type is an exception though).
- Chemical Scents:
The beard shampoos containing “fragrance” or “parfum” in the label are generally not safe to use as the scent is derived using chemicals. They even have a strong fragrance that can last for hours. Men who have a sensitive nose or skin don’t prefer using products chemical fragrance.
If you like conditioning your beard using a beard balm or beard oil, or if you use special cologne so that you smell fresh whole day long, we suggest you to buy the beard shampoos that offer a complementary scent.
Thus, if the beard oil or cologne that you use has an earthy or woodsy fragrance, you should maintain consistency by using a beard wash with a similar fragrance.
3. Liquid Shampoo vs. Shampoo Bar
As we all know that beard shampoos come in various forms and sizes, we suggest you to buy a product accordingly.
If you travel frequently or let’s say if you have to catch a flight, we suggest you to buy a beard wash in a solid bar form rather than going for liquid shampoos. This will prevent you from getting your carry-on luggage checked at the counter. Apart from this, it will also eliminate the chances of any leakage in your toiletry bag.
If you go to the gym regularly, this pointer is for you. Many men prefer taking a shower post their workout. In such cases, you can buy a liquid bottle. It will be easier for you to carry the beard wash in the gym bag.
If you intend to use the beard wash at home only, we recommend you to buy the shampoo in a larger size as it will be cost-effective.
4. Thicker consistency offers better results
Usually, the beard washes from the best brands have a thicker consistency. According to them, thicker shampoos and conditioners penetrate better on to the facial hair and skin and thus offer smooth and moisturizing effects.
5. Do your research
The best way to understand any product is going through the ingredient list and the reviews by the users who have already used it. Buying the costliest product among the bunch does not mean that the product will work the best for you. Most often, the costly brands don’t use the ingredients that will suit your hair and skin type. Thus, go through the ingredients and be aware of the ingredients that work the best for you and then buy accordingly.
Always check for the brand before buying it.
You can do a little bit of research by going through the brand’s website, the products that they offer and how satisfied are the customers. You can also check for the Contact Information if you face any irritation or allergy post using the beard wash.
Price is the most crucial factor before buying any grooming essential, and a beard wash is no less. You can get a good beard shampoo at a price range of $15-$20.
Other Factors To Consider
1. Color-Treated Beard
If you have colored your beard, you must be extra careful of the ingredients present in the beard shampoo. The most important ingredients that you must avoid in the shampoo are sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate. Both the chemicals are capable of stripping away the dye from your hair if used on a regular basis.
If you have acne, you should look for a beard wash that fights against the acne by balancing out the amount of oil produced on the skin. Such shampoos also help in providing relief from itching and irritation.
How To Wash Your Beard
Following these steps can help you wash your beard and maintain it properly:
- Use warm or lukewarm water to moisten your beard. Never use very hot water to wash your beard as it can dry out the skin beneath and can also hamper the growth of the beard. Using warm water helps in opening the pores making it easy to clean the beard.
- Take a small amount (quarter-sized) of beard shampoo in the palm of your hand and start lathering. You can even take a beard bar in between the palms and rub until you get a good amount of lather.
- Now start massaging the product into your beard. Start from the roots of the hair follicles and scrub gently using the tips your finger. Scrub for a minute or so. Some experts even suggest scrubbing a bit aggressively as it can stimulate the hair follicles resulting in better growth of the beard hair.
- Once you are done with scrubbing, leave the product to rest for another minute. During this time, the dirt or dead skin cells that were trapped in the beard will come off.
- Rinse your beard using lukewarm water. Move your hair in all the directions while washing so as to make sure that there is no residue of the beard wash left behind.
- If you have a beard conditioner, you can apply it, leave for a minute and then wash it off. For those who don’t have a beard conditioner can skip this step.
- Take a soft towel and pat dry the beard. Get rid of all the excess water as it can later cause irritation. Don’t use force to dry the beard. You can let it air dry after removing extra water.
- Now take a good beard balm, oil, or wax and apply it properly. Use a comb to style it in the desired way.
What is the difference between Regular Shampoo and Beard Shampoo?
- Regular shampoos are designed for use for hair on your head and they don’t work great on the beard. The chemicals present in these regular shampoos scrub away the natural oils from the follicles of the beard.
- The natural oil (sebum) that is produced by the skin is very important to maintain the overall health of the beard. If the oil strips off, the beard ends up looking dry and frizzy. It even becomes prone to split ends.
- The sebaceous glands present at the root of the hair follicles make sure that the beard remains hydrated, moisturized, and well-nourished all the time. Using a good quality beard shampoo can help you clean the beard without stripping off the oils.
- The beard shampoos also help in getting rid of dead skin cells. The dead skin cells are formed as a result of not shaving for a long time. It can further cause itching and irritation to the skin. In worst-case scenarios, you might even notice beardruff. Using a regular shampoo to treat this can, in fact, worsen the situation.
How often should you wash your beard?
- Washing your beard frequently using a beard shampoo or a beard wash increases the chances of stripping away of natural oils from your beard, which is not a good sign. It can damage the overall health of your beard and make it dry.
- The number of times that you should wash your beard also depends on your facial hair. Generally, you should wash it twice or thrice a week but if you feel that your beard requires a wash frequently, you can increase the number of washes.
- For men who have shorter beard can wash once in a while but for those who have oily skin or hair, might have to wash the beard quite often. You can adjust the number of washes depending on the condition of your beard and the skin beneath.
- Your work environment also plays a role here. If you are into a physical or outdoor job, the chances of dirt build-up over the beard increase automatically and thus, it will require more maintenance. However, if you have a desk job, washing the beard once or twice a week should be enough.
Frequently Asked Questions
As the beard starts growing, washing your beard using a regular cleanser won’t be enough to clean the beard thoroughly. Once the beard grows at least an inch long, it requires proper grooming products such as a beard shampoo and a conditioner. This will help in cleaning your beard effectively.
General face washes and cleansers don’t contain natural oils to keep the hair follicles nourished and hydrated. They are designed for men who either don’t have a beard or who maintain a short stubble beard.
Beard shampoos can be used throughout the year. Whether you have a short beard or a long one, using a beard shampoo can help in cleaning the facial hair without stripping off the natural oils.
The scents of the most popular beard washes are honey, rosemary, and sandalwood. These scents are not only familiar but also have a refreshing effect throughout the day.
You should wash your beard once in two days at least. As we know that face is an integral part and hence, we wash it everyday so you must wash your beard regularly. It prevents the dirt and oil from accumulating and hence, will not affect the skin.
To make your beard smell good you must use products that contains peppermint or tea tree oils it will not only nourish and protect your skin but will provide a good scent too. Remember to always use products that are made up of natural ingredients this way you will not damage your skin.
Yes, definitely. You should brush your beard daily or at least once in two days. It will give you a neater look and will prevent the hair from breaking. Brushing your beard would also prevent dust from trapping inside the hair.
To keep your beard growth straight you must brush it properly daily and you must take proper care of your beard. You must use products that are made up of natural ingredients. This is important to keep your skin free from any chemicals.