Be it man or women, hair loss can lead to self-esteem, depression and anxiety. The best solution to this issue is – laser hair growth device, which is clinically proven to stimulate hair follicles and reverse hair loss (1)
They use low-level laser therapy (LLLT) that includes using red light of wavelength between 630-670nm. At this frequency, red light can easily penetrate few millimeters into scalp to stimulate hair follicles. It results in thicker, fuller and even more pigmented hair.
This process is completely safe, non-invasive and painless. However, it is important to find the right laser hair growth device. Below are few considerations…
Low-level laser therapy is available in four different types – cap, helmet, band and comb. You can choose based on the effectiveness, ease of operation and price.
If you are experiencing hair loss overall the scalp, then helmet or cap is the right choice. For hair thinning around the crown, the laser hair band is perfect. These methods are hands-free and expensive but they are powerful.
However, if you like hands-on approach to concentrate more on problematic areas, then combs are perfect. And they are cost-effective too.
2. Laser Count
It represents the number of laser lights present on the device. Higher the number, better the coverage area and more beneficial. Among all the options, helmets have more lights.
3. FDA Approval
Having approval or certification from FDA determines the safety of the device. Food and Drug Administration provides approval only when it passes their vigorous testing of whether the laser light is safe or not.
Other important factors to consider are portability, ease of operation and other. They are mentioned clearly in our Buying Guide.
Based on the performance and reviews, we have shortlisted 7 best laser hair growth devices for you. Let’s have a look!
7 Best Laser Hair Growth Devices
|Laser Hair Growth Devices||Type||Laser Count||FDA Cleared||Timeline (months)||Buy Now|
|iRestore Laser Hair Growth System||Helmet||51||Yes||3-6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|HairMax Ultima 9 Classic Laser Comb||Comb||9||Yes||6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|illumiflow Laser Cap||Cap||272||Yes||1-3 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|CapillusUltra Mobile Laser Therapy Cap||Cap||82||Yes||6-12 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|HairMax Laser Band 82||Band||82||Yes||3-4 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|CNV Hair Growth Helmet & Cap||Helmet||90||Yes||3-6 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|iGrow Laser Hair Growth Helmet||Helmet||51||Yes||3 months||CHECK ON AMAZON|
iRestore Laser Hair Growth Helmet System is a safe, non-invasive and clinically proven device that works on treating hair loss in both men and women. It stimulates hair follicles to grow thicker and fuller hair.
Helmet offers a powerful combination of 51 medical-grade lasers and LEDs that shoot the hair follicles with a perfect wavelength of 650nm. You can start noticing the results from the second month of usage.
- Type: Helmet
- Laser count: 51 medical-grade lasers
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 3-6 months
- It uses clinical-strength laser technology to treat hair thinning, balding and receding hairline.
- The helmet features an ergonomic design that looks perfect and distributes the weight evenly.
- You can use it for 3-4 times a week and 25 minutes per session.
- It is light in weight and weighs only 2.6lbs.
- The helmet can be used by both men and women.
- It’s a durable, effective, and comfortable device.
- It is easy to use and comes with a remote and battery.
- The helmet can be used as a hands-free or cordless device.
- It is safe to use with hair growth products such as Rogaine.
- Helmet comes with a time display.
- You should keep it for charging overnight before using it.
If you are suffering from hair thinning or hair loss at a small area of your scalp, the HairMax Ultima Laser Comb can be very helpful. With a parting comb and 9 classic laser lights, the comb makes sure that the lasers penetrate successfully to the hair follicles and stimulate the hair growth.
- Type: Comb
- Laser count: 9 medical-grade lasers
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 6 months
- The laser diodes are places closely within the comb to provide a uniform and consistent delivery of laser light to the hair follicles.
- The comb has 9 medical-grade lasers but no LEDs.
- It is a compact and easy-to-use device.
- For more targeted treatments, you get a hair parting teeth along with the package.
- It is a cordless comb.
- You can use it for 10-12 minutes a day for effective results.
- The comb uses red light treatment.
- It comes at an affordable price.
- It might get tiring after a point when you hold the comb for longer.
The illumiflow Laser Cap is a Class II Medical Device that is 100% safe and effective to use. It is one of the most cost-effective FDA-cleared laser caps available in the market with 272 premium laser diodes.
The cap does not have LED lights and offers full coverage. The calibrated lasers (with a wavelength of 650nm) penetrate the scalp effectively, thereby reaching the base of hair follicles. It works on strengthening, rejuvenating, and re-growing the hair.
- Type: Cap
- Laser count: 272 medical-grade lasers
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 1-3 months
- It can be used with other hair growth products.
- You can use the cap every day for around 30 minutes.
- The cap features an advanced cooling technology to protect lasers.
- The cap provides full coverage to your head.
- There are plenty of laser lights embedded in the cap.
- The battery life of the cap is great.
- It features an automatic shut-off timer.
- You get a warranty of 5 years for the product.
- You can use the cap for up to 20,000 sessions (each session of 20-30 minutes).
- It requires a minimal time commitment.
- The cap is a bit expensive.
Wearing the CapillusUltra Mobile Laser Therapy Cap for 6 minutes per day provides your scalp and the hair follicles with consistent laser energy. This results in an average of 51% more hair within a time span of 17 weeks.
With a success rate of 95%, the cap is very useful in reversing the process of hair loss in both men and women. The cap features only laser technology without any interference of LED lights in the interior.
- Type: Cap
- Laser count: 82 medical-grade lasers
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 6-12 months
- The cap is clinically proven and FDA cleared to provide an effective treatment for hair loss.
- You can treat the scalp comfortable with this flexible fitting cap.
- The cap features some amazing safety features. It has special sensors that trigger the light only when you wear the cap.
- It is a thin and discreet cap and can be worn anywhere.
- The cap uses red light therapy to treat the scalp with a laser light wavelength of 640-650nm.
- You can use it comfortably for 6 minutes every day.
- It is cordless.
- It is very easy to use. You can simply press the turn on/off button and use it.
- The cap uses 82 medical-grade lasers to provide maximum coverage.
- It takes a bit longer to start showing the results.
The HairMax Laser Band 82 is a clinically proven hair growth device that delivers therapeutic laser light using 82 medical-grade lasers (and no LEDs).
It features a unique curved design along with patented hair parting teeth to part the hair during treatment. This helps in providing maximum laser light to the hair follicles. The band works through the process of photo biostimulation to nourish the follicles with light energy.
- Type: Band
- Laser count: 82 medical-grade lasers
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 3-4 months
- It is a lightweight, comfortable, portable, and convenient hair band.
- The band offers a quick treatment time of 90 seconds (30 seconds per area).
- The HairMax Laser band is a perfect device for you if you are always on the go.
- It uses red collimated light to penetrate deep into the scalp.
- The device is easy to use and can be operated using on/off button.
- You can use it along with other hair growth devices.
- The band vibrates once the time is up.
- Hair parting teeth allows easy and effective penetration of laser to the follicles.
- You might struggle to fix it on your hair, especially if you have fine hair.
The CNV Hair Growth Helmet uses 650nm soft light and LED to treat hair loss and hair thinning. It offers a powerful, non-invasive, painless, and convenient solution to all hair loss related issues.
The helmet is hand-free and comes with a clear timer display. It is made using high-quality and durable materials.
- Type: Helmet
- Laser count: 90 medical-grade lasers
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 3 -6 months
- You can use it for 20-25 minutes a day and 3-4 times a week for best results.
- It is a lightweight and durable helmet.
- The size is adjustable.
- It is very easy to operate the device.
- You get many advanced features like timer display, and intelligent infrared sensor light.
- You can use it on both wet and dry hair.
- It is safe to use the helmet along with other hair growth products.
- You might have to wait for some time to see the results.
iGrow Hair Growth Helmet is one of the most effective LLLT devices to treat hair thinning. It uses red light energy at an optimal wavelength and power. The photo biomodulation helps in treating damaged hair follicles and provides thicker hair.
The helmet has adjustable headphones, moveable spacing columns, and rotating weight distribution. It also offers 5 pre-defined programs to choose from. You can select the program depending on the hair loss pattern that you are facing.
- Type: Helmet
- Laser count: 51
- FDA cleared: Yes
- Timeline: 3 months
- The helmet is highly effective and comes with a headphone along with an aux cord to watch or play anything.
- You can use the device for 20-30 minutes a day for 2-3 times per week.
- The helmet uses a combination of red laser lights and LEDs with a wavelength of 655nm.
- One size fits everyone.
- It features and convenient and hands-free design.
- The helmet can be used as a cordless device.
- You can use it with other hair growth products.
- It is lightweight and convenient to use.
How Laser Hair Growth Devices Work?
The laser hair growth devices use LLLT i.e. low-level laser therapy to promote hair growth on the scalp. The therapy is often termed as photo-biomodulation, bio-stimulation, red-light therapy, soft laser, and cold laser.
The LLLT uses light whose wavelength ranges between 630 – 670 nm. This wavelength stimulates the hair follicles to enter its anagen phase (growth) from either the telogen phase (resting) or the catagen phase (shedding).
The photons that are generated during LLLT are effective because they stimulate a special enzyme called cytochrome C oxidase. The stimulation of this enzyme helps in generating an enzymatic chain reaction. This, in turn, increases the blood circulation in the scalp region. The increased blood circulation provides better nutrition for the hair follicles and also helps in reducing the accumulation of DHT.
The laser hair growth devices are approved by the FDA. This means that they are safe to use and offer an efficient performance. They can be used twice or thrice in a week.
Since the devices use cold lasers and are non-invasive, you won’t feel any discomfort, burning sensation, or any other issues that are associated with lasers. The best part about these devices is there is no involvement of UV radiation too.
- The laser treatments, when combined with certain medications can lead to adverse reactions such as photosensitivity. Thus, before getting a laser treatment done, it is always advised to get a consultation from the doctor.
- Pregnant women are not recommended to use these products.
Types of Laser Hair Growth Devices
There are multiple types of devices that use low laser light therapy. You can choose one on the basis of your preference or ease of operation. They come in the following forms:
- Laser combs
- Laser helmets
- Laser caps
- Laser bands
1. Laser Combs
The laser combs are hand-held devices. They contain around 2-8 laser lights or LEDs. The number of lights here is way lesser than those present in helmets or caps. The comb contains a laser that emits lights from between the teeth of the comb. This helps in stimulating hair growth in the scalp while you are combing. You can continue combing your hair for 10 minutes at a frequency of 3-4 times a week.
These combs offer a cordless operation and can be charged using rechargeable batteries. A single charge can go a long way.
2. Laser Helmets
One of the most significant differences between a laser comb and a laser helmet is the amount of light emitted. The laser helmets are made using a powerful combination of red lights and lasers. The total number of lights varies from 50-100 LEDs and this contributes to a lot of power.
Outer shell of these helmets is made of lightweight material. The red lights and lasers are attached to this outer shell. Each session of laser helmet can last for up to half an hour, but not on a daily basis.
Laser helmet offers a wide coverage area over the scalp when compared to the combs.
The power of the source varies from model to model. While some devices can be plugged into a regular electric outlet, others contain rechargeable batteries. The latter offers a wireless treatment session.
The device is user-friendly. All you have to do is place it over your head and turn the device on. Since it is hands-free, you can engage yourself in other activities while wearing the helmet.
Laser helmets come in many styles and each of them has different features to offer. Some models of laser helmets offer timer feature where the device turns off automatically after reaching the allotted time. These helmets are adjustable so that they fit every head size.
3. Laser Caps
Laser helmets and laser caps are similar in many ways. These caps look like a baseball cap or a regular cap and can be worn anywhere. Thus, you can continue doing your regular chores while the cap will work on treating your hair and scalp.
These caps are very convenient to use as the rechargeable batteries provide a continuous source of power to them. The laser technology used in laser cap is not as powerful as that of the technology used in helmets. Thus, the treatment time taken by caps is almost double as that of a helmet.
4. Laser Bands
The laser bands contain lasers and lights and can be worn on the top of your head, stretching from one ear to the other. These bands contain multiple LEDs that emit red light. The wavelength of this red light helps in saving hair and prevents them from thinning.
Things To Consider While Choosing The Best Hair Growth Device
To make sure that you make the best purchase, mentioned below are a few pointers that you must consider. Let’s have a look!
1. The Type Of Device: Comb or Cap (or helmet)?
You can choose between a comb, cap, or helmet on the basis of convenience, price, and effectiveness.
If you are facing hair loss all over the scalp, you can try wearing a helmet or a cap. However, if you are suffering hair loss or hair thinning on your crown, you can try wearing a laser band. All these devices provide hands-free operation and are a bit expensive.
A laser comb, on the other hand, offers a hands-on approach. It allows you to focus on a specific area and they are not as expensive as other types of devices.
While buying a laser hair growth device, make sure that its readings match an average nanometer reading. The wavelength ranging between 600 – 700 nm works well with superficial tissues whereas the wavelength ranging between 780 – 950 nm works great with deep tissues.
You will find some devices in the market that are very cheap. Such devices might not be actual LLLT devices. Thus, you should be extremely careful before spending on a device that is not even real.
3. FDA Cleared
Any device that is FDA cleared is safe to use. FDA stands for Food and Drug Administration and they never approve any device that can cause harm. FDA-approved devices won’t cause any burn or other issues to your skin.
Thus, while selecting a device, make sure it is cleared by the FDA. However, FDA approval does not prove the effectiveness of the device. It just ensures you of the safety while using it.
4. Number of Laser Lights
The more the number of lights the device has, the better it will perform. More number of lights helps in providing extra coverage all over the scalp.
While using a comb, you might not feel the need for extra or too many lights as you keep the comb moving all over the scalp. Hence, the distribution works fine here.
While using a laser helmet, cap, or band, the total number of lights matter. Without enough light, you are not going to achieve the desired coverage. However, if you decide on buying a device with lesser lights, you will have to keep moving it to provide maximum coverage.
5. Time Frame
A laser treatment session can vary between 5 minutes to 20 minutes and 3-4 times a week for a few months.
It can vary from device to device, depending on the type of the device and its features.
Most of the laser hair growth devices are portable and you can do your other work while wearing it. You can wear the cap even in the outdoors. Using these devices is way more convenient than visiting the doctors or going for a hair spa treatment regularly.
The laser hair growth devices are a bit expensive. Out of all the 4 types, the combs are the least expensive ones. Even though the LLLT devices are expensive, they are worth investing in as they promote hair growth.
You can consider them as a one-time investment that helps you in the long run. When compared to a visit to a professional, these devices make up for a decent investment.
Not only LLLT devices are reliable, but they are also durable and can be used for a long period of time. It can also be used by multiple members of the family.
Even though these devices are safe to use, you must look for the warranty period that it offers. Some manufacturers even offer a money-back guarantee if they fail to impress you with their product. Warranty also helps you with any technical issues in the long run. They often come with a warranty period of 12-18 months.
Do Laser Hair Growth Devices Work?
Yes, the laser hair growth devices are very effective in stimulating hair growth, in both men and women.
According to the reviews of the users, they are safe to use and works effectively on both FPHL (Female Pattern Hair Loss) and MPHL (Male Pattern Hair Loss). The success rates of these devices are very high.
According to a study, a group of 188 women and 146 men were given a laser comb. They were offered the treatment thrice a week for continuously 26 weeks. While none of them faced any side-effect of the device, the majority of them saw a decline in the hair loss pattern and had thicker and fuller hair.
NCBI published another study where 110 patients were a part of a study used HairMaxLaserComb along with a sham device. All the patients who used laser comb saw an improvement in the hair density and the re-growth.
The result of using these devices varies from person to person. It has been found that the device is more effective with people facing moderate hair loss issues than the severe ones. Thus, it is always good to start the treatment as soon as you notice it.
One thing to remember is this laser hair growth technology does not work on reversing baldness. However, if you are suffering from hair thinning, you can give them a boost by using a laser comb or any other LLLT device.
Who Should Use A Laser Hair Growth Device?
The LLLT devices can be used by anyone. However, the effectiveness depends on the situation that you are dealing with. They work best in the following situations:
- If you are suffering from a hereditary hair loss issue (such as androgenic alopecia).
- If you are suffering from DHT (dihydrotestosterone). If this is stunting your hair growth, using light therapy can be helpful. It won’t work on eliminating DHT. Instead, the light treatment allows more nutrients to reach the hair follicles and negate the effect of DHT, thereby promoting hair growth.
- If you had a hair transplant before, red light therapy can turn out to be useful to you.
Safety Tips To Follow While Using A Laser Hair Growth Device
Here are a few precautions that you must take while using any of the hair growth device:
- The major cause of hair loss is associated with inflammation that is caused due to chemical-based shampoos or conditioners. To ensure that there is no irritation on your scalp, use a medicated shampoo and conditioner.
- Shampoos with keratin as a core ingredient are very helpful in dealing with hair breakage. Using such shampoos can moisturize your hair and maintain healthy mane.
- You should use a conditioner after shampooing your hair. It helps in preventing damaged hair.
- Don’t use any of the LLLT devices if you have applied hair spray, gel, or any other hair product.
How To Use Laser Combs?
It is very easy to use laser combs. You can use it in the following way:
- Turn the device on and place it flat on your head.
- Now slowly start moving the comb, unlike how you do it while you use a regular comb.
- Leave the comb in a spot for 2-3 seconds and then slowly move to the next spot.
- You can start from the hairline and make your way backward in the direction of hair flow. Ensure that you cover all the areas.
- Once you reach the bottom part of your head, start again from the hairline.
- Cover the entire area twice and you are done (don’t forget that you are not styling your hair and this is why you need to go slow and cover all the spots).
- If the length of your hair is long in the thinning spots, lift the hair using your hand and make some way for the laser comb.
- Move it very slowly for good results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The LLLT devices are safe to use and till date, no remarkable events have occurred. The FDA clearance approves the devices as safe to use. Some of the safety guidelines that you must follow are:
• Don’t look directly into the lasers that are used in LLLT devices. They deliver a large amount of energy and it might have negative effects on the naked eyes.
• If you are under any medication, you must avoid using LLLT devices as it increases the skin’s sensitivity to light. Even though they use cold laser energy, they might have negative effects when combined with some types of medications.
• Avoid exposing laser to areas where you have moles or near your thyro
The results of laser therapy are very promising and thus, are used for medicinal purposes since a long time. The only side effect that has been noticed is the temporary onset of telogen effluvium (early entry of hair in the telogen phase) in the initial months. Other related issues are dry skin, mild headache, skin irritation, and pruritis.
Yes. Since the major focus of LLLT is on stimulating the scalp, it is non-invasive. Even when it is combined with other hair restoration programs, it does not show any side effects.
Any smooth and shiny bald spot is an indication that there are no dormant hair follicles in those areas. Since LLLT does not work on reversing balding, these devices don’t work in these conditions.
The LLLT devices can speed up the hair loss initially and it is totally normal. In the first two weeks, the light works on awakening the hair follicles from the telogen or catagen phase.
During this process, they push out the old hair to produce new ones. The hair loss will gradually decrease and you will notice thicker and fuller hair.
Yes, it can be shared with other people too. The device works great for both men and women.
Some LLLT devices count the number of sessions performed. It allows you to keep a tab on the number of sessions that you have performed till now. If you are sharing it with someone else, you can alter these readings. However, read the manual guide to learn how to clean the device after sharing it with someone else.
After going through the above, we could conclude to say both Men and women with thinning hair can lose confidence and feel incredibly self conscious. Our hair is important to how we see ourselves.
Hair loss, when identified during its early stages, is still reversible. We’re lucky that we live in such a technological age where devices are made not just for clinical use but for home use.
We must be careful before we invest into such products or bust our pockets and spend our useful hours in salon as many of these products are only FDA approved for safety and usage but there’s not much of evidence that any of these devices restore hair or prevent balding.Hope the above products and its review helps you to identify the right product of your choice.
Table of Content
- 7 Best Laser Hair Growth Devices
- How Laser Hair Growth Devices Work?
- Types of Laser Hair Growth Devices
- Things To Consider While Choosing The Best Hair Growth Device
- Do Laser Hair Growth Devices Work?
- Who Should Use A Laser Hair Growth Device?
- Safety Tips To Follow While Using A Laser Hair Growth Device
- How To Use Laser Combs?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)