Ever look in the mirror and imagine how you would look if your hair was completely different from what it is now? Or, have you been looking for a good hair color for your hair to switch it up a little bit? If you’re looking to do the job a home for almost half the price you pay at salons, read on!
There are a few simple rules that can be kept in consideration when making the choice to dye your hair. Here is the complete guide to choosing the hair color which matches your skin tone the best!
What Color Should You Dye Your Hair:
Dying your hair is a daunting task, and doing it at home is even more so. For those who have never experimented with hair coloring, the trick to solving most of your basic coloring questions is to remember that the shades that you can dye your hair are ranked from 1 to 10 – with 10 being lightest on the spectrum, and 1 being black.
The most important thing to keep in mind, though, when searching for the correct shade to dye your hair, is your skin. Skin color – such as dark, fair or olive – and skin tone – warm, cool and neutral – are important determinants of what shade to dye your hair. An easy way to get this done is to go to your barber and colorist and ask for his advice.
Tips for Choosing the Correct Color for Your Skin:
A way to determine the shade of skin is to look at one’s own wrist. Usually, the veins are either purple, green or blue in undertone. Purple undertone indicates warmer skin tone, neutral skin tones are indicated by greenish undertones, and persons with cool skin tones have blue undertones.
Another sure method is called the color test. The following steps must be followed for the same:
Clean Face: Start with a face clean of any make-up or skin altering overlay. Wash with a facewash and pat dry.
Well-Lit Room: Enter a well-lit room with a mirror. Make sure the lighting is not too yellow or white to tone your skin.
Single Colored pieces of cloth: Pick up a red colored cloth and one which is colored blue or green. Hold up the pieces of cloth against your face.
Determination: If your face looks better next to the red fabric, then you are warm toned, and if it looks better in front of the blue or green cloth, you are likely to be cool toned.
10 Best Hair Dyes for Men 2021 Reviews
|Hair Dye Products||Area of use||Main purpose||Free from||Ease of use||Buy Now|
|Just For Men AutoStop Men's Comb-In Hair Color, Light Medium Brown||Head hair||Light Medium Brown||No ammonia||Easy to use||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Just For Men Touch Of Gray Comb-In Men's Hair Color, Medium Brown||Head hair||Medium Brown||No ammonia||Easy to use||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Just For Men Original Formula Men's Hair Color, Real Black||Head hair||Real Black||No ammonia||Easy to use||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Softsheen-Carson Dark and Natural hair color||Head hair||Grey coverage/ Natural black dye for men of color||No ammonia||Average effort needed||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Bigen Ez hair color for men||Head hair, mustache and beard||Grey coverage for black hair||No ammonia, low peroxide||Easy to use||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Clairol Natural Instinct semi-permanent hair dye||Head hair||Grey coverage for black hair||No ammonia, low peroxide||Average effort needed||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Arctic Fox Semi Permanent Hair Dye - 4 Ounce Wrath||Head hair||---||ammonia or ethyl alcohol||Easy to use||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Refectocil cream hair dye||Beard, moustache, eyebrows and eyelashes||Grey coverage and darkening natural hair color||---||High effort needed as it requires additional developer to be purchased separately.||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Arctic Fox Vegan hair dye||Head hair||Funky, colorful dye||Vegan, cruelty-free, no ammonia, no peroxide, no ethyl alcohol and no ppd||High effort as previously lightened hair is needed. HIgh post-color maintenance required||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|DPHUE Gloss+ hair color||Head hair||Darkens pre-existing hair color and adds shine||Ammonia-free, gluten-free, no paraben, no sulfates, no phthalates||Very easy to use||CHECK ON AMAZON|
This product is a pre-mixed comb through hair color, made especially for the use of men. It is relatively chemical free and is greatly appreciated by those who use it. Reviewers claim that the product is effective in removing grays from light brown to blondish hair.
- Does not contain ammonia or peroxide.
- Leaves hair soft and manageable.
- Auto-Stop feature on the comb applicator is helpful in not dyeing the hair too intensely.
- The color is soft and subtle and blends well with natural hair.
- Color only lasts up to 8 weeks.
- Oxidizes on use.
- Remaining dye cannot be reused.
This product is rated 4.5 stars out of 5 on amazon. Reviewers have mentioned that once they use the product they keep going back to it. It has to be applied again after a few washes to keep the color sealed in and looking fresh.
The coverage of this dye is partial and it is best for recreating a salt and pepper look on a person who has a larger amount of grays. The color is a medium intensity brown which looks lived-in and even.
- Cost effective in fighting grays
- Creates elegant look with a partial coverage
- Applicator prevents overdoing
- Takes only 5 minutes to pigment color
- Can make ends brittle
- Does not last more than 3 weeks
- Not a great finish
- Stains skin
- Unnatural looking at times
Reviewers on amazon have rated this product 4.5 out of 5 stars. A hair dye for the older men, this product shows results but they results are not consistent. It is best for only a partial gray cover up for men with naturally dark brown.
Just for Men in shade Real Black is a real showstopper. This product is said to provide full cover up of gray hair and a shampoo-in formula which locks the color. Within five minutes of application, you can expect all your grays to have disappeared.
- Contains Vitamin E and aloe which nourishes your hair while also effectively dyeing them.
- Shampoo in formula allows you to reach every crevice of your head effectively.
- Provides even pigment within 5 minutes of dyeing and 10 minutes of rinsing.
- Rinsing off requires effort.
- Color may be darker than shown on the box and may be more intensely tinged.
- Product may burn skin for a few seconds after application. A test should be conducted on a small area before use.
This product has been rated 4 out of 5 on amazon.com. This product is deemed to be one of the easiest to use hair dye in its league. The shampoo-in formula takes only a few minutes to dye the hair and causes no dripping, making it an easy pick.
It has nourishing ingredients like honey that keeps the hair moisturised and aloe vera that nourishes & conditions your hair. The ammonia-free formula also prevents hair fall due to coloring.
It comes in an easy 3 step regime, simply mix the developer and the colorbase. Now apply the drip free cream to your hair and leave it for 5 minutes. Use the conditioning shampoo to rinse the hair. The color lasts up to 6 weeks.
What we liked:
- Comes in 3 shades for men of color
- If you want a darker finish, then it for 15 mins instead of 5 mins
- Does Not stain the scalp and skin
What we did not like:
- Packaging could be better as the chances of spilling during shipping is high
- Depending on your hair type, the color might start fading sooner
The hair dye is one of the rare formulas where the leftover coloring cream can be stored and used later for touch ups as and when required. This multiple application makes it value for money.
The shade M2 comes in a pack of 3, which is going to last for a long time. It not only covers the grey hairs but also makes your hair look voluminous. It has aloe vera which conditions and nourishes the hair as well as olive oil which is known to add moisture and shine to the hair.
What we liked:
- Result lasts for a long time
- Has an easy and hassle-free application process
- Does Not stain the scalp or skin while coloring.
- Free from ammonia and low on peroxide
What we did not like:
- Not major cons
The no-ammonia and low peroxide formula minimises hair damage due to coloring. The proteins in it make the hair stronger and promote hair growth. The vitamin e oil moisturises the hair while aloevera conditions and protects it from damage.
It is easy to use. Mix the color base and the developing lotion. Apply it to the hair and wait for 10 mins. Wash using a regular shampoo and conditioner. It comes with a once a week color treat cream that maintains the hair color and makes your hair look freshly colored for a long time.
What we liked:
- Easy and quick to use
- Cover stubborn gray hairs
What we did not like:
- Some people got allergic reactions to the dye so a 48 hours allergy test is a must.
The Arctic Fox collection of products is chemical free and vegan. 15% of all profits from the product are donated to fight against animal cruelty. This shade is a vibrant red.
- Does not contain peroxide, ammonia or ethyl alcohol.
- Has a conditioning formula which nourishes the hair as it dyes it.
- Gentle on the hair and good for frequent use.
- Color bleeds with every wash.
- Color may be more intense than indicated on the box.
Arctic Fox has been rated 4 out of 5 stars. This product is for men looking to experiment with punk colors. The shade offered here is bright red with pink undertones. This is recommended for men with lighter skin tones. The application is easier on already bleached or blond hair as compared to darker hair.
Refectocil cream hair dye is specifically designed to color small areas of the face such as beard and eyebrows. The formula is made for sensitive skin around the face. It contains castor oil that moisturises and adds shine to your hair.
It can be used for grey coverage in beards and eyebrows. It is also sensitive enough to be used on eyelashes.
It comes with an instruction manual that gives a detailed instruction on how to use it safely.
What we liked:
- Does not stain the skin around the area
- Can be used in sensitive areas
- Lasts up to 6 weeks
What we don’t like:
- Does not come with a developer and requires you to buy the developer from the same brand
Arctic Fox hair dye in Poseidon is aimed for those that like to have fun and take risks with their hair color. The shade poseidon is a vibrant blue color. The ultimate shade will come out based on the base color of your hair.
The gentle formula is free of ammonia, peroxide, ethyl alcohol and ppd. The formula is safe to be used frequently and can condition your hair to give a vibrant look after every use.
What we liked:
- Made in USA
- Vegan and cruelty free
- Lasts up to 8 weeks
What we did not like:
- For best results you need to have pre lightened hair or bleach your hair
- Requires high post-color maintenance like avoiding pool, avoiding heat style etc.
- In some cases the color bleeds even after washing.
dPHUE Gloss+ hair color is an easy to use hair dye that will deepen the current hair color. The easy to use formula doesn’t not require any mixing. It is great for the in-between time between two salon visits when the hair starts looking brassy and dull.
The product is free from paraben, phthalates, ammonia, peroxide and gluten. It doesn’t penetrate your cuticles and only coats your hair which makes it safe to be used as and when required as it does not damage the hair.
It comes in 11 natural hair colors.
What we liked:
- Vegan and gluten free
- Safe to use on color-treated hair
- Gives an ultra natural look that makes the hair look healthy and voluminous.
What we didn’t like:
- Does not give any gray coverage or full coverage look
How to Choose a Hair Color According to Skin Tones:
Dark Tone – Persons with deeper undertones of skin have darker skin. Persons with these skin tones tend to have brown or black eyes. Warm hair colors like brown, chocolate, burgundy etc. suit these skin tones the most. When searching for a good hair coloring product at your local drug store, look for boxes labeled with warm and golden on the front. These colors will tend to lighten the hair just enough to bring out the intensity of the skin tone and eyes. If your skin falls in this category, you should stick with shades which are nearer to your natural hair color to protect the texture of the hair.
Light Tone – If you categorize as fair skinned, your skin will be more suited to blond shades, like ash blond, dirty blond, ashy browns etc. with ease. This is because the blond will set off the paleness of the skin tone, and neutralize the stark contrast of the eyes and skin. When treading the blond spectrum, choose a color closer to a champagne brown, or a butterscotch – depending on the amount of pigment required to be removed from your hair.
Caramel Tone – A caramel tone of skin is the tone that Jessie Williams or Diego Luna carry. Shades such as blonds and dark browns look the best with this skin tone. Well blended highlights can enhance the skin tone greatly and help structure the face.
Wheatish Tone – This skin tone is closest to Dev Patel or John Hamm. These skin tones are also best suited for dark hair which is closest to black. Keeping a salt and pepper look with this skin tone can leave the face looking contoured and elegant if age-appropriate.
How To Dye Your Hair Like A Professional
Dying your hair at home requires the following items –
Hair Color: Pick a product which is especially for men. This will be helpful as the texture and quality of men and women can vary.
Developer: Check the back of your hair product to see whether a developer is provided with the product or not. Developer aids the hair color to be more intense and pigmented when applied.
Applicator Brush: Buy an applicator brush which has a long handle. It should have thick, plastic, rigid bristles.
Comb: Buy a medium spaced toothed comb. This comb will be used to comb through the dye to make the color spread evenly.
How to Dye Your Hair at Home:
- First, with reference to the instructions on the back of your product, mix an appropriate quantity of the dye and the developer. This should ensure a deeper pigment deposit. Choose the volume of the developer carefully.
- Next, wash your hair with shampoo and then comb through the tangles with a comb. Apply a clear gel on the base of your hairline where you do not intend for the dye to deposit.
- The third step in the process is to part your hair and divide it into sections which you would want the color to be deposited on. Use hair clips to section out the hair if your hair is thicker in density.
- Once the hair is parted and the color is fully developed, use the hair color applicator brush to apply hair color onto your hair. Pay attention to the corners and crevices of your head and make sure to apply abundantly. Apply from the roots, upwards, making sure to leave some roots in your natural shade.
- For a more subtle color deposit, comb through the color with your comb. Leave this to sit for the amount of time written on the back of the box. The lesser the intensity desired, the shorter period to leave the dye on.
- Rinse off the dye in a sink to finish off. The color will splash and stain the walls if left.
- Shampoo only after rinsing the dye from your hair.
How to Dye Your Hair Blond:
If your hair is already light or blond, and you wish to ripen the color and make it more intense, you can choose to color your hair with an over the counter dye product or kit which is right for the length and density of your hair. Then, you can follow the instructions mentioned above as to the process of dying your hair at home.
However, if your hair is a darker shade and will require to be brought down a few shades to come closer to the shade of blond preferred, then you will most likely be required to bleach your hair.
There are a few types of blonds which can be achieved with bleach. These are – platinum blond, copper blond and ashy blond. The platinum blond is the most intense in the spectrum, with silver undertones which can exclusively be pulled off by persons of lighter skin tones. Ash blond is also better suited to lighter skin tones. Copper blond colors can be suited to darker skin tones as well, if blended with darker roots.
Here is how to bleach your hair:
- Start with not dying your hair at all up to one month before bleaching them.
- Deep condition your hair appropriately before you bleach your hair. Do not wash your hair just before you bleach your hair.
- Buy a bleaching kit from your drugstore. Make sure that the kit contains developer liquid in different intensities. These are:
- 10 Volume – For persons with blond hair which only requires correction
- 20 Volume – For persons with light or dark brown hair which is a few shades darker than the shade intended.
- 30 and 40 Volume – These are the most intense and should be used judiciously and with care. This volume is used when the hair is jet black in color and a lot of pigment needs to be removed in order to come to the intended shade.
- Add the developer with the powdered bleach and mix until a homogenous, creamy consistency is reached. Leave this mixture for the amount of time instructed on the product.
- Wear an old t-shirt and some gloves to prevent the bleach or developer from burning the skin. Make sure there are mirrors handy to check.
- Test a strand – Before you bleach the entirety of your hair, bleach a strand with the mixture. Take a section of hair which is closest to the roots and using an applicator brush, apply the bleach to the entire strand of hair.
- Then, if your hair is long enough to be covered, use foil strips to cover the strands where bleach has been applied. Check to see the depletion of the pigment every five minutes. Remove the bleach with a towel to check the shade, and reapply bleach for a lighter tone.
- Once the intended shade is reached, rinse off the bleach entirely from your hair. Make sure to not let the bleach get in your eyes as this can be harmful. After this, use a mild shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair and wash.
How to Dye Your Hair Silver:
Dyeing your hair silver will require for you to bleach your hair to the lightest blond shade possible – platinum. This will be difficult to attempt at home. Follow the steps mentioned for bleaching your hair while keeping in mind the following added points:
- Keep checking the bleach on the hair every 5 minutes.
- Do not keep the bleach on for more than 45 to 50 minutes as this may damage your hair irreparably.
- Use hair packs, and oil your hair regularly when planning to bleach your hair platinum blond.
Dyeing your hair:
- Buy silver hair dye from the drugstore. Pick a product which is lowest in sulfate.
- Make sure the dye is matte and not shiny because the shinier the color pigment, the yellower the tinge of the hair will be.
- Pick ashy gray dye or silver dye meant for men.
- Hair can be dyed right after bleaching it. It is important to condition the hair after bleaching and dyeing. Rinse the dye completely before shampooing.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner which is meant for men with colored hair.
- Shampoo your hair in a frequency which is appropriate for your dye type. This means that if the dye is temporary, it will last for 6 to 8 washes. If it is semi-permanent, it will last for 8-12 washes and permanent color can last up to 20 washes. Wash your hair with less intense shampoos if the dye is temporary.
It is important to read all the instructions and product details before buying and using any hair dye. Use all the necessary precautions like wearing gloves while applying, do a mandatory allergy test 48 hours before coloring the hairs, and do not add any extra product or experiment with the formula.
Ensure to read and follow the instruction manual before application. Also, make sure the color you are using is safe for the area you are intending to use it on.Do not use a hair dye on eyebrows or mustache unless it is specifically intended for it. Choose a color that is actually suitable for your hair shade, when in doubt go for a shade lighter.
Hair coloring can be a time-consuming and expensive affair if done in a salon by professionals. With so many new and innovative formulas, at home hair coloring has become easier than ever. Try it and let us know your experience. Have you ever tried dying your hair at home, was the end result good enough? Do let us know.