HOW TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT HAIR COLOR FOR YOUR SKIN TONE
Ever look in the mirror and imagine how you would look if your hair was completely different from what it is now? Or, have you been looking for a good hair color for your hair to switch it up a little bit? If you’re looking to do the job a home for almost half the price you pay at salons, read on!
There are a few simple rules that can be kept in consideration when making the choice to dye your hair. Here is the complete guide to choosing the hair color which matches your skin tone the best!
What Color Should You Dye Your Hair:
Dying your hair is a daunting task, and doing it at home is even more so. For those who have never experimented with hair coloring, the trick to solving most of your basic coloring questions is to remember that the shades that you can dye your hair are ranked from 1 to 10 – with 10 being lightest on the spectrum, and 1 being black.
The most important thing to keep in mind, though, when searching for the correct shade to dye your hair, is your skin. Skin color – such as dark, fair or olive – and skin tone – warm, cool and neutral – are important determinants of what shade to dye your hair. An easy way to get this done is to go to your barber and colorist and ask for his advice.
Tips for Choosing the Correct Color for Your Skin:
A way to determine the shade of skin is to look at one’s own wrist. Usually, the veins are either purple, green or blue in undertone. Purple undertone indicates warmer skin tone, neutral skin tones are indicated by greenish undertones, and persons with cool skin tones have blue undertones.
Another sure method is called the color test. The following steps must be followed for the same:
Clean Face: Start with a face clean of any make-up or skin altering overlay. Wash with a facewash and pat dry.
Well-Lit Room: Enter a well-lit room with a mirror. Make sure the lighting is not too yellow or white to tone your skin.
Single Colored pieces of cloth: Pick up a red colored cloth and one which is colored blue or green. Hold up the pieces of cloth against your face.
Determination: If your face looks better next to the red fabric, then you are warm toned, and if it looks better in front of the blue or green cloth, you are likely to be cool toned.
10 Best Hair Dyes for Men 2018 Reviews Buying Guide from Amazon
1. Just For Men AutoStop Men’s Comb-In Hair Color, Light Medium Brown
This product is a pre-mixed comb through hair color, made especially for the use of men. It is relatively chemical free and is greatly appreciated by those who use it. Reviewers claim that the product is effective in removing grays from light brown to blondish hair.
- Does not contain ammonia or peroxide.
- Leaves hair soft and manageable.
- Auto-Stop feature on the comb applicator is helpful in not dyeing the hair too intensely.
- The color is soft and subtle and blends well with natural hair.
- Color only lasts up to 8 weeks.
- Oxidizes on use.
- Remaining dye cannot be reused.
This product is rated 4.5 stars out of 5 on amazon. Reviewers have mentioned that once they use the product they keep going back to it. It has to be applied again after a few washes to keep the color sealed in and looking fresh.
2. Just For Men Touch Of Gray Comb-In Men’s Hair Color, Medium Brown
Just for Men is a well-known brand of men’s hair color. This particular shade comes in a kit. This kit contains one applicator brush.
The coverage of this dye is partial and it is best for recreating a salt and pepper look on a person who has a larger amount of grays. The color is a medium intensity brown which looks lived-in and even.
- Cost effective in fighting grays
- Creates elegant look with a partial coverage
- Applicator prevents overdoing
- Takes only 5 minutes to pigment color
- Can make ends brittle
- Does not last more than 3 weeks
- Not a great finish
- Stains skin
- Unnatural looking at times
Reviewers on amazon have rated this product 4.5 out of 5 stars. A hair dye for the older men, this product shows results but they results are not consistent. It is best for only a partial gray cover up for men with naturally dark brown.
3. Just For Men Original Formula Men’s Hair Color, Real Black
Just for Men in shade Real Black is a real showstopper. This product is said to provide full cover up of gray hair and a shampoo-in formula which locks the color. Within five minutes of application, you can expect all your grays to have disappeared.
- Contains Vitamin E and aloe which nourishes your hair while also effectively dyeing them.
- Shampoo in formula allows you to reach every crevice of your head effectively.
- Provides even pigment within 5 minutes of dyeing and 10 minutes of rinsing.
- Rinsing off requires effort.
- Color may be darker than shown on the box and may be more intensely tinged.
- Product may burn skin for a few seconds after application. A test should be conducted on a small area before use.
This product has been rated 4 out of 5 on amazon.com. This product is deemed to be one of the easiest to use hair dye in its league. The shampoo-in formula takes only a few minutes to dye the hair and causes no dripping, making it an easy pick.
This hair dye is ash blond in color and is best suited for those with a cool toned skin. This dye can be used in order to make already blond or bleached hair more spruced up. Goldwell has been deemed to provide beauty salon style results, at home.
- Great for persons with blond or light hair
- Good color coverage
- Leaves hair brassy in shade
- Not suited for covering grays
Rated 4.5 stars out of 5, Goldwell is a customer favorite. This dye is not for those trying to cover-up some gray. It is meant to make your existing blond look even more highlighted and ashy. Use this product for a full coverage.
5. L’Oréal Feria 1-Step Lightening System for Men #200 Bleach Blonde
The L’Oréal Feria is a hair lightening forma, which is bleach based and lightens the existing pigment in the natural hair. This product advertises a deep conditioning bleach which will not leave the hair brittle and breaking.
- Recommended for dark hair
- Complete bleaching kit provided
- Can be used to highlight or for a full coverage dye
- Does not give a full blown blond color
- Leaves very dark hair looking coppery blond
- Reaching platinum may take more than one application and dye
Though this product has been rated only 3 out of 5 stars, it is easily the shiniest blond men’s hair color. The lightening cream bleaches, and the nourishing oil locks the pigment in. A blond dye can complete the job.
6. Clairol Natural Instincts for Men Hair Color, Dark Brown (M13)
Clairol Hair Color for men is a recommended brand of hair color for those looking for a long lasting brown color job. This color is semi-permanent.
- Contains no ammonia
- Good coverage of color pigment
- Lasts for up to 28 shampoo washes
- Difficult to find the right shade
- Even slightly intense color can end up looking unnatural
This product has been rated 5 stars. The dark brown shade is even and looks very natural if applied properly. The color is best suited to men who have wheatish or warm skin tones.
7. Arctic Fox Semi Permanent Hair Dye – 4 Ounce Wrath
The Arctic Fox collection of products is chemical free and vegan. 15% of all profits from the product are donated to fight against animal cruelty. This shade is a vibrant red.
- Does not contain peroxide, ammonia or ethyl alcohol.
- Has a conditioning formula which nourishes the hair as it dyes it.
- Gentle on the hair and good for frequent use.
- Color bleeds with every wash.
- Color may be more intense than indicated on the box.
Arctic Fox has been rated 4 out of 5 stars. This product is for men looking to experiment with punk colors. The shade offered here is bright red with pink undertones. This is recommended for men with lighter skin tones. The application is easier on already bleached or blond hair as compared to darker hair.
8. SoftSheen-Carson Dark & Natural 5 Minute Shampoo-In Haircolor, Natural Black
Soft Sheen-Carson’s Natural Black shampoo in hair color is must have for you if you have a salt and pepper look you want gone. The shade complements persons with darker skin and natural hair.
- Good for use on textured natural hair.
- Leaves a subtle deposit rather than a jet black.
- Works within 5-10 minutes.
- The process of preparing the hair dye takes time.
- Components need to be mixed in properly, and then combed through for best results.
This product has a 4.5 rating out of 5. While the product is one of a kind for textured hair which can get unmanageable, it only lacks in durability. The product promises results for 6 weeks, but falls short, needing frequent reapplication.
9. Redken For Men 5 Minute Color Camo
This product comes in six shades which can be blended to create a custom color for your hair. Redken color is an application dye. Once rinsed, it promises a subtle coverage which blends with your natural color.
- Consistent color and even spread.
- Covers enough grays to make it look natural.
- Makes hair brittle.
- Washes out in a few shampoo washes.
This is rated a modest 4.5 out of 5 stars. This product is good for those looking to hide their grays and not for someone looking for a full dye job or a change of color.
10. L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Cover Up Gray Concealer Spray
The L’Oréal Paris Magic Root Cover Up Spray is an aerosol can spray which covers up the most visibly grays from your roots. This is a rainy day measure which is so easy to use and requires no premeditation.
- Instant results!
- Sprays onto any hair texture.
- Conceals grays effectively.
- Lasts until next wash.
- Comes in enough shades to cover up grays on almost all hair colors.
- Makes hair brittle when applied.
- Not recommended for application over long periods of time
This L’Oréal spray bottle is for those days when you have an event or an important meeting coming up, and you do not have time for a time consuming dye job. It is rated a 4.5 out of 5 stars.
How to Choose a Hair Color According to Skin Tones:
Dark Tone – Persons with deeper undertones of skin have darker skin. Persons with these skin tones tend to have brown or black eyes. Warm hair colors like brown, chocolate, burgundy etc. suit these skin tones the most. When searching for a good hair coloring product at your local drug store, look for boxes labeled with warm and golden on the front. These colors will tend to lighten the hair just enough to bring out the intensity of the skin tone and eyes. If your skin falls in this category, you should stick with shades which are nearer to your natural hair color to protect the texture of the hair.
Light Tone – If you categorize as fair skinned, your skin will be more suited to blond shades, like ash blond, dirty blond, ashy browns etc. with ease. This is because the blond will set off the paleness of the skin tone, and neutralize the stark contrast of the eyes and skin. When treading the blond spectrum, choose a color closer to a champagne brown, or a butterscotch – depending on the amount of pigment required to be removed from your hair.
Caramel Tone – A caramel tone of skin is the tone that Jessie Williams or Diego Luna carry. Shades such as blonds and dark browns look the best with this skin tone. Well blended highlights can enhance the skin tone greatly and help structure the face.
Wheatish Tone – This skin tone is closest to Dev Patel or John Hamm. These skin tones are also best suited for dark hair which is closest to black. Keeping a salt and pepper look with this skin tone can leave the face looking contoured and elegant if age-appropriate.
How To Dye Your Hair Like A Professional
Dying your hair at home requires the following items –
Hair Color: Pick a product which is especially for men. This will be helpful as the texture and quality of men and women can vary.
Developer: Check the back of your hair product to see whether a developer is provided with the product or not. Developer aids the hair color to be more intense and pigmented when applied.
Applicator Brush: Buy an applicator brush which has a long handle. It should have thick, plastic, rigid bristles.
Comb: Buy a medium spaced toothed comb. This comb will be used to comb through the dye to make the color spread evenly.
How to Dye Your Hair at Home:
- First, with reference to the instructions on the back of your product, mix an appropriate quantity of the dye and the developer. This should ensure a deeper pigment deposit. Choose the volume of the developer carefully.
- Next, wash your hair with shampoo and then comb through the tangles with a comb. Apply a clear gel on the base of your hairline where you do not intend for the dye to deposit.
- The third step in the process is to part your hair and divide it into sections which you would want the color to be deposited on. Use hair clips to section out the hair if your hair is thicker in density.
- Once the hair is parted and the color is fully developed, use the hair color applicator brush to apply hair color onto your hair. Pay attention to the corners and crevices of your head and make sure to apply abundantly. Apply from the roots, upwards, making sure to leave some roots in your natural shade.
- For a more subtle color deposit, comb through the color with your comb. Leave this to sit for the amount of time written on the back of the box. The lesser the intensity desired, the shorter period to leave the dye on.
- Rinse off the dye in a sink to finish off. The color will splash and stain the walls if left.
- Shampoo only after rinsing the dye from your hair.
How to Dye Your Hair Blond:
If your hair is already light or blond, and you wish to ripen the color and make it more intense, you can choose to color your hair with an over the counter dye product or kit which is right for the length and density of your hair. Then, you can follow the instructions mentioned above as to the process of dying your hair at home.
However, if your hair is a darker shade and will require to be brought down a few shades to come closer to the shade of blond preferred, then you will most likely be required to bleach your hair.
There are a few types of blonds which can be achieved with bleach. These are – platinum blond, copper blond and ashy blond. The platinum blond is the most intense in the spectrum, with silver undertones which can exclusively be pulled off by persons of lighter skin tones. Ash blond is also better suited to lighter skin tones. Copper blond colors can be suited to darker skin tones as well, if blended with darker roots.
Here is how to bleach your hair:
- Start with not dying your hair at all up to one month before bleaching them.
- Deep condition your hair appropriately before you bleach your hair. Do not wash your hair just before you bleach your hair.
- Buy a bleaching kit from your drugstore. Make sure that the kit contains developer liquid in different intensities. These are:
- 10 Volume – For persons with blond hair which only requires correction
- 20 Volume – For persons with light or dark brown hair which is a few shades darker than the shade intended.
- 30 and 40 Volume – These are the most intense and should be used judiciously and with care. This volume is used when the hair is jet black in color and a lot of pigment needs to be removed in order to come to the intended shade.
- Add the developer with the powdered bleach and mix until a homogenous, creamy consistency is reached. Leave this mixture for the amount of time instructed on the product.
- Wear an old t-shirt and some gloves to prevent the bleach or developer from burning the skin. Make sure there are mirrors handy to check.
- Test a strand – Before you bleach the entirety of your hair, bleach a strand with the mixture. Take a section of hair which is closest to the roots and using an applicator brush, apply the bleach to the entire strand of hair.
- Then, if your hair is long enough to be covered, use foil strips to cover the strands where bleach has been applied. Check to see the depletion of the pigment every five minutes. Remove the bleach with a towel to check the shade, and reapply bleach for a lighter tone.
- Once the intended shade is reached, rinse off the bleach entirely from your hair. Make sure to not let the bleach get in your eyes as this can be harmful. After this, use a mild shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair and wash.
How to Dye Your Hair Silver:
Dyeing your hair silver will require for you to bleach your hair to the lightest blond shade possible – platinum. This will be difficult to attempt at home. Follow the steps mentioned for bleaching your hair while keeping in mind the following added points:
- Keep checking the bleach on the hair every 5 minutes.
- Do not keep the bleach on for more than 45 to 50 minutes as this may damage your hair irreparably.
- Use hair packs, and oil your hair regularly when planning to bleach your hair platinum blond.
Dyeing your hair:
- Buy silver hair dye from the drugstore. Pick a product which is lowest in sulfate.
- Make sure the dye is matte and not shiny because the shinier the color pigment, the yellower the tinge of the hair will be.
- Pick ashy gray dye or silver dye meant for men.
- Hair can be dyed right after bleaching it. It is important to condition the hair after bleaching and dyeing. Rinse the dye completely before shampooing.
- Use a shampoo and conditioner which is meant for men with colored hair.
- Shampoo your hair in a frequency which is appropriate for your dye type. This means that if the dye is temporary, it will last for 6 to 8 washes. If it is semi-permanent, it will last for 8-12 washes and permanent color can last up to 20 washes. Wash your hair with less intense shampoos if the dye is temporary.
When dyeing your hair at home, take precautions to not let the dye or bleach burn your skin. Wear a protective apron or an old t-shirt. For men with short hair, it can be difficult to try to control the irritation of the skin, and so they are advised to do this process in front of a mirror.
When men look at coloring their hair, they can either do so to experiment with funky shades or starkly contrasting shades, or this can be to cover up grays. When choosing a color appropriate to your skin tone, remember one rule of thumb – dye your hair either two shades darker or two shades lighter than your natural shade. It is advisable to do so to prevent too dramatic a change in hair color which cannot be worn in public.
Table of Content