Dreadlocks are an inherently Rastafarian hairstyle which originated in Africa. In this style, the hair is washed, but not combed at all and braided and twisted into locks which fall to the sides. It is a high maintenance style which requires at least a month of Constant growing hair. This style works best for medium to long hair.
Dreadlocks are more versatile to style than previously imagined. New hipster styles such as dreadlock braids, ponytails, and even buns have become a part of mainstream fashion. This look can be styled a la Michael B. Jordan.
Face Shapes that Suit Dreadlocks
Oval face shapes are most likely to suit dreadlocks. This is a good looks for men with strong jawlines. For men with curly and kinky hair, growing out dreadlocks should not be difficult and is a suitable hairstyle.
How to Achieve Dreadlocks
To style your hair into dreadlocks, you require to follow the following process:
- Wash and condition hair
- Divide hair into sections to desired thickness
- Braid or twist sections and apply rubber bands to secure
- Use dreadlock wax to twist and make tighter dreads
- Remove rubber band when dreadlocks are sectioned
Top 10 Products to use on Dreadlocks
#1: Locksteady Tropical Dreadlock Tightening Gel
About the Product: The Locksteady Dreadlock Tightening Gel is a Product of utility for any dread growing man. This wax is a simple remedy for fixing frizzy hair and twisting it into dreadlocks with minimum help of rubber bands. Locksteady holds the hair in place and makes for chic looking dreads, which look effortless and prim at the same time.
- Locksteady Tropical smells great and leaves a gentle citrusy aroma
- Does not flake easily
- Tightens dreadlocks into steady masses
- Perfect for leaving in
- Causes some build up if left in
- Dries white on darker hair colours
- Leaves hands feeling oily
The Locksteady Dread Tightening Gel the perfect Product to buy on a budget to satisfy your most basic dreadlock needs and helps in achieving the most stylish dreads looks.it is light weight and works well on curly as well as straight hair.
#2: Live Locs Loc and Retwist Gel for Dreadlocks
About the Product: Live Locs Retwisting Gel is the product when it comes to natural feeling, soft hold on the dreads. It is also a moisturising agent and is great for all hair types. Live Locs is a top rated dreadlock retwisting gel and is a hot favourite among the young.
- Does not cause flaking
- Saves time as it is to be used on wet hair
- Cleans off easily and holds tightly
- Leaves white residue upon drying
- Smaller quantity than expected for the price
- Can cause itchiness in the scalp in frizzy hair
The Live Locs Loc and Retwist Gel is a good product to purchase on hair that sets easily. This does not work as well on frizzy or kinky hair. It is an organic and natural feeling gel which holds the dreads together.
#3: Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Hair Gel
About the Product: Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Hair Gel is a long lasting dread holding gel which helps in maintaining tight twists which make for well-kept dreads. This gel is sweet smelling and holds the hair well.
- Can be used and left in for longer periods
- Holds dreads in place without rubber bands
- Leaves white residue as it dries
- Sometimes can remain in hair even after a wash
The Jamaican Mango and Lime Hair Gel is a fresh smelling dread gel which is great to hold the dreads in place. It might be slightly harder to wash off the residue of the hair gel while shampooing it, but the unparalleled style that shows is worth the effort!
#4: Joie Naturals MyGel Hair Styling Gel
About the Product: Joie Naturals hair styling gel is a special formula which is made to nourish the hair so it grows out thicker, and holds the dreads together in a stylish manner.
- This is completely flake free
- Helps in making a dread bun which is tight enough to keep in place
- Works well on coloured hair
- Causes itchiness in the scalp
- Feels sticky on the palms
While it may not be the most specialized product, Joie Naturals MyGel Hair Styling Gel is a hit. The best part? Joie does not produce a gel which is good only for styling. It serves the conditioning purpose as well as nourishes the hair.
#5: Dollylocks Aloe, Coconut and Lime Dreadlocks Tightening Gel
About the Product: Dollylocks has created a product which is highly recommended for those who want to grow and maintain dreadlocks. It is an organic formula which uses a blend of coconut and aloe to help in taming the cowlicks that might grow out in the course of time.
- It is water soluble and washes away easily
- Great for holding the dreads together
- Expensive for the quantity sold
- Leaves white residue as is common with products of the same range
- Loosens within one day of application
While this product smells great and holds in the dreads for one day at least, it causes flaking and some amount of residue to build up. For this reason, it falls a little below the top rated products on Amazon.
#6: Knatty Dread Dreadlocks Cream
About the Product: The Knatty Dread Cream is a product which helps in maturing the dreadlocks as they grow out, and is made with a shea butter formula for moisturising. It is made to have tightening properties and leaves the dreads feeling strong, healthy and stylish.
- Not only does it style the dreads, but also moisturises them
- Works best for dark and naturally black hair
- Contains Premium Lanolin which helps in shaping the dreads
- Smells strongly and can cause irritation
While the Knatty Dreadlock Cream is the perfect product to use for those with strong noses. Overall, the product is good for styling and helps in keeping the dreads looking moisturised and natural.
#7: Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products Lock It Up Tight Hold, 6 Ounce
About the Product: Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products are a known name in making tight holding curls and twists in even the most difficult of hair types. It is a recommended product for persons who have color treated hair and grey hair as well.
- Does not contain alcohol
- Causes no flaking
- Redefines natural patterns of curls
- Does not hold hair for more than one week
- Results in heavy residue retention on scalp
The Taliah Waajid brand guarantees quality when it comes to delivering on their products.
The reviews on the product range from excellent to good as this product can be used in most hair types without the fear of loose knots or curls. The best policy when using this product is to use judicious amounts.
#8: Stylin’ Dredz Moulding Gel Wax with Tea Tree Hair Care
About the Product: The Stylin’ Dredz Moulding Gel is a dreadlocks tightening and forming gel which is known for its natural oils and non-flaking formula. This contains glycerine and other moisturising agents which help the dreads grow out well.
- Helps maintaining a healthy shine on the dreads
- Prevents major build up on the scalp
- Eliminates dryness from the hair
- Is likely to leave a white residue if overdone even a small amount
- Can be difficult to start dreadlocks with this product
The Moulding gel works only as well as the dreads are grown. This is not a product to be used in the nascent stages of dreadlock growing cycle.
#9: Knotty Boy Light Dreadlock Wax
About the Product: The Knotty Boy Light Dread Wax is made for lighter hair which is naturally in a blond or red tone. It works well for starting dreads as well as maintaining them, and the formula is grease free for lighter hair texture.
- This product contains no added preservatives or fragrant substances
- Made from natural ingredients such as beeswax and natural oils
- Works well on frizzy hair
- Easy to wash out
- Becomes discoloured on drying
- Hard to wash out of hair
The Knotty Boy Light Dreadlock Wax is a good product to use when introducing your hair to dreadlocks. This product can be used on frizzy or kinky hair and is easy to blend into dreads with its natural texture.
#10: Dread Head – Lock Peppa Mega Tightener
About the Product: Lock Peppa Tightener is a dread product to die for. It is easy to use and proposes a solution to the most common problem that can arise for a person who wants to grow dreads – how to start!
- Helps in making and starting dreads
- Makes palm rolling dreadlocks an easier task
- Helps to hold hair together
- The quantity sold for the price is smaller than expected
- Since the product is powder, it can get messy
- Leaves dreads feeling hard in locks
The Lock Peppa Tightener by Dread Head is a sure shot way of achieving the perfect dreadlocks for hair which is of medium density. It is good for use on hair which is being cut, as sometimes the dreads can unravel, and Lock Peppa protects that from happening.