Curly hairstyles for men : For men with curly hair, the task of maintaining a beautiful, yet skilfully tussled look can sound like a time consuming drag – but it doesn’t have to! Whether you’re lusting after those Jon Snow locks, or Harry Styles a la One Direction era, you’ll find the complete guide to getting there,
Curls have been among the favorites for not only girls but for men too. Out of different mens hairstyles curly hair holds a special place. There are many haircuts for men with curly hair and even if those who do not have natural curls, after application of certain hair products available in the market, can get curly men hairstyles. We have tried to jot down different curly hairstyles men would love to wear.
Whether you’re blessed with curls or simply need to try or just want to try curly look; you have no more reasons not to switch up your haircut. Take a cue from these curly haircuts for men and curly mens hairstyles – Gosshh you have plenty of choices for how to get curly hair for men!!
40 Best Men Curly Hairstyles:
An undercut is an easily achievable look. Here is how to give yourself an undercut at home:
What you need:
How to Style:
- Dampen hair.
- Set your trimmer to either a 1 or a 2 level setting.
- Part your hair with a comb so that the section you intend to keep longer is on top, and clip it.
- An undercut typically begins from just below the area of the hair which you intend to keep longer and ends above the ear. Use the Trimmer in front of a mirror for accuracy.
2. Curly Quiff
A curly quiff requires:
- Round brush
- Hair Gel/Pomade
- Start with damp hair, combed over and untangled.
- Apply hair gel into the hair and spread evenly with a comb.
- Take the round brush, and brush your hair backwards while drying it with the hairdryer.
- Between every minute of drying, tousle the hair in a back combing fashion with your fingers to maintain the natural curly texture.
- Once the hair is sufficiently dried in place, use the round brush to smoothen out the edges and brush the hair at the back for a neater look.
A side-swept look is all about effortless chic. To recreate this look, you will need:
- Texturing gel or pomade
- Begin by dampening your hair and combing it over.
- Apply the texturing gel or a pearl sized drop of pomade into the hair and comb it in until evenly spread.
- With the help of the comb, part your hair to the side desired. Preferably, comb a major chunk of the hair to the side where the hairline lacks in structure.
- Now slowly comb over the side part, and dry the hair with a dryer. Do not make the hair bone dry in the process.
4. Slicked Back
The classic formal look of slicking your hair back hardly ever fails.
What you need:
- Sea Salt spray
- Begin by applying the sea salt spray onto damp hair so as to get your natural curls to stick together.
- Then apply a hair wax or a clay which can retain the slicked back style.
- Evenly spread the wax through the hair with your fingers in a push back motion and do not open up the curls which are already setting.
- Comb over in the same direction as you have slicked your hair back.
5. Curly Fringe
A curly fringe is a haircut wherein the top length of the hair is cut keeping in mind the direction of the fringe required. The hair on the top of the head will be longer in length than the ones on the side.
This can be styled easily and without much effort. A simple sea salt spray in the hair in front, along with a finger combing should suffice. The aim of a fringe is to let it hang on the face.
A man bun is the male version of the best lazy girl lifestyle hack. For this, one only needs a comb and a sturdy elastic band.
- Comb over hair to detangle.
- Push all the hair up to the level where the bun is intended to be made.
- Then keeping a strong hold on the section of hair to be made into a bun, twist the hair and then roll it right up on the apex of the head.
- A low bun can be made by simply pulling the hair together in a ponytail, and leaving the hair elastic in a half tuck.
7. Messy Curls
The classic messy curls are best achieved naturally. There are more than a few ways to get there without having to stock up on beauty products.
One way to easily achieve this look is by washing your hair in the night, applying your regular serum or mousse evenly through the hair, and then wrapping the hair lightly in a t-shirt. Make sure to not wrap tightly because that causes breakage. Do not comb over in the morning, simply sift through the hair with your fingertips.
8. Short Crop
A short crop curls is a bunch of choppy curls which lay on the top of the head.
What you need:
- Gather sections of hair and put clippers to keep them in place.
- Cut each section into even lengths as desired.
- The aim is to have a crop, so feel free to go as short as you want, but keep the top close but curly still.
- To finish, add a texturizing serum and finish with hairspray to set.
9. Curly Bob
A curly bob can be of two kinds – either it can be a long bob reaching your shoulders, or a short bob reaching just below the ear. Curly hair can be difficult to cut a bob in, and so the hair should be wet before cutting.
Maintaining a bob of curly hair is simple.
- Apply a small quantity of hair gel or serum into your palms, rub together, and run through the hair evenly.
- Then gather the curls in your palms and fist them to give them a tousled, but organized look.
- Let the hair air dry.
10. Full Curls
Rollers and curling irons can be used to achieve the proper full curl look. However, in the interest of hair health, heat application should be avoided.
Rollers are easily available at your nearest drugstore and can be used in the following manner:
- Untangle damp hair and divide into 8 sections.
- Pick each section and lengthen the curls before placing a roller in it and roll upwards.
- Do not push the hair into submission. Simply roll towards the roots.
- Then pin the roller into all sections and wrap a damp towel on your head for about half an hour to an hour – depending on the intensity of curls desired, and unwrap.
11. Curly Tail
A curly tail is a curly ponytail, which ends with curls. This works well on mid length hair.
What you need:
- Mousse or pomade
- Elastic band
- Begin with drying your hair off after applying some pomade or mousse through it when damp.
- Push the hair back and hold it to whatever level you intend to make the ponytail at.
- Secure with elastic band. Take a small portion of mousse or wax in your palm, rub together and crimp the end of the ponytail for natural looking curls.
12. Cupid Curls
Cupid curls are tight curls which are close to the head. This is a style reminiscent of Justin Timberlake from his NSync days.
- Leave in salt spray in the hair overnight, and wrap in damp cloth.
- Instead of opening up the curls the next morning, just shake off the excess moisture.
- Use a hairdryer from a distance and let the curls set.
13. Hard Part Curls
A hard part is a definite parting made with a razor. This part disconnects the top of the head from the hair below.
The best way to achieve this is to keep the curls tight on the top of the head and have a tapering fade on the bottom half. To separate the two, set the razor or trimmer to its lowest setting and carefully go over the part in the hair with it. This is risky when done at home, unless you have a steady hand and practice.
14. Salt Spray Curls
Salt spray is the most convenient method to get beautifully set curls. Salt sprays available at brands such as TGI or L’Oréal.
A recipe for home-made salt spray is:
- Put some warm water into a spray bottle.
- Add one teaspoon of Epsom salts to the mix, and another tablespoon of Himalayan salt and mix.
- Add a few drops of jojoba oil.
- Finish with a few drops of essential oils and apply as needed.
15. Curly Pompadour
A pompadour is a simple upward blow-dry which focuses the curls onto the face, adding height and sleekness to the face.
What you need:
- Round brush
16. Angular Curls
This is recommended for persons with mid length curls on the top of the head.
Here is what you need to style your hair into an angular curly fringe:
- Round brush
- Pomade or mousse
- First, in damp hair, apply the pomade or mousse and tousle the hair.
- Then, carefully with a round brush, collect the top of your hair in the direction you intend to angle it.
- Using the round brush as a guide, dry the hair with a dryer. In an upward motion.
- Once the hair is sufficiently dried, use some hair wax to set the angle in completely.
17. Brushed Back
The perfect brushed back curls can be achieved by simply dampening the hair and pat drying it with a t-shirt or a cotton towel. Apply some pomade or wax (in small quantities) into the hair mass. This style is best recommended for persons with sparse hair growth.
A volume increasing spray can be applied in the inner lengths of the hair before using a brush to comb out the curls. You can either part only the top of the head, or brush over the entire length of the curls.
Some precautions to keep in mind:
- Do not brush too much as this only promotes breakage.
- Use a quantity of wax or gel which fits on the tip of your finger.
- Rub the pomade in your palms before applying.
18. Tapered Sides
A barber is best suited to give you this cut. The aim here is to leave some length of hair on the top of the head, while carefully snipping away at the sides.
Look at it like you’re shearing a tree – clear the excess branches from the bottom up, but leave the main foliage be and allow it to bloom. A tapered side cut means that you have the option of either letting the curls fall free at the back of your head, or you can trim them to a gradient as well.
A faux-hawk is the less daring man’s Mohawk. This style is best suited for persons with a long hair on the top.
What you need:
- Strong styling mousse
- Hair wax
- Round brush
- First, part the mass of hair on top of your head which you wish to style.
- Apply styling mousse into the parted area.
- With careful upward strokes, use the round brush to create a Mohawk.
- Finish with hair wax to set the look.
20. Drop Fade
A drop fade is ideal for persons with stringy curls which tend to stand up.
What you need:
- Fine tooth comb
- Razor trimmer
- Make a dramatic gradient leaving the top of the head full.
- Make sure the gradient begins around the temples and ends just above the ear.
- Alter the length on top of the head.
21. The wild Rock ‘n’ Roll Look:
This hairstyle is ought to make you the apple of everyone’s eye with its wild touch. You only need to pile up all your hair on one side and pair it with a neat trimmed beard for deriving highest effect
22. The Lion’s Mane Look:
Just like the lion’s long hair flowing on his neck, this hairstyle is actually one of the most royal of all long curly hairstyles for men. It does not require any haircut; however, you may want to enhance the beauty of this hairstyle with curlers which is definitely gonna suit all thin faces.
23. Curly Mohawk men:
Just as the regular Mohawk, this hairstyle has curls on the top in the middle, while sides and back shaved down. Highlighting the curls in two tones makes this hairstyle more enticing.
24. Natural Curls:
If you are already in love with your gifted twists and do not want to do much work on them, then this is one among the many available mens curly hairstyles. You can use hair products to enhance your look but do not overuse else you will end up fading out and distorting the natural look.
25. The Grown up curls:
One of the blended haircuts for curly hair men that you can wear and be a heartthrob! Contrasting harsh cut buzzed sides with curls grown on the top makes it the perfect cut that stands out of the many men curly haircuts.
26. Curls at the back:
It may seem as much as a simple cut at the front but when you turn around, just then you drop an impression on the chicks with your fun curls. This hairstyle is suitable in any event, more of a formal and mostly sweet!
27. Windy waves:
Let your wavy hair fly in the air with a side part. Suitable for medium and long hair enjoying the best of your natural texture and volume. This hairstyle can be worn with minimal efforts required in up keeping the beachy look!
28. Affectionate Serenade Look:
Let everyone know that you are a music freak!! You do not have to speak about your love for music because your hairstyle will do this for you if you wear this look – one of the simplest mens haircuts for curly hair of medium length. You need to clean off your beard to reap out maximum attractiveness from this hairstyle.
29. Regular Curly look:
You can wear this hairstyle anytime and anywhere as this is a manageable hairstyle for your band practice or any formal event, best suited for thick black shot to medium styling. With the help of some hair products, you can easily bring variations in this look.
30. Ready Bed Head Look:
If you are one of those who absolutely have no time to spend on their look but still want to make everyone startled with your hairdo, then this is the best to go for. It requires almost zero effort and still can make you to stand out of the crowd, if you try this look partially wet.
Black men curly hairstyles:
If you are looking for some hairstyles for black men with curly hair then we may help you with black men curly hair styles.
31. Natural Curl Faded Look:
Curly haircuts last for a short span and hence need regular trimming to maintain this hairstyle for a short length. On the brighter side, this is a ready to go look for work or for partying with friends.
32. Black curls with high bun:
Gone are the days when only girls were crazy about high buns, now high buns are very common hairstyle for curly afro men. Collecting all your curls at the top to form bun is the hottest hairstyle for curly hair black men.
33. Natural dreadlocked look:
This is one of the particularly suited hairstyles for black men with curly hair. Let your hair grow to a desired length and use the wax to form dreadlocks. With a long beard or clean shave, this hairstyle goes well with either beard style.
34. Dreadlocks with long tapering:
An exquisite hairstyle for long black curly hair men! Add a little magic to the natural dreadlocks by going for long tapered sides. Let the long locks hang to their length with tapered sides and back; grow up your facial hair to give this look a finishing touch.
35. High top dreadlocks:
curly black men hair of medium length look good if their dreadlocks are pulled over the top just like a man high bun. Try cutting the sides short that can make your dreadlocks more prominent yet clean.
36. Short Twisted curls:
A blend of a little shaggy and somewhat casual, the major determinants those give this hairstyle a stylish appearance. This look is at its best when accompanied by a long beard.
37. Short Taper with beard:
One of the curly hairstyles black men with not so fascinating strands can try which can add life to your dull hair. Get your hair cut in layers and grow your beard up to a good length to get the best out of this hairstyle. Great news is that this style can go well with any skin tone and any face shape.
38. Corn Rows Look:
Be careful while choosing this look as this hairstyle is not suitable for those curly black hair men who have an extended forehead as this will make their forehead to look even more protruded.
39. Popcorn Twist:
An easy but a little time taking way to style up curly hair for black men, but the outcomes are worth waiting. Close shaving of the sides and back makes the hairstyle more visible and ultimately wonderful.
40. The Elegant Gelly look:
Gel can add punch to any look; on the other hand it can ruin it completely if used in excess amount. So the only precaution to be taken while wearing this faux hawk motivated style is to keep a check on the gel amount otherwise this look is sure to append your smartness making people around you awestruck!
How to Maintain Curly Hair:
Getting your curly hair to behave itself can be done by following the following simple rules of maintenance:
- Shampoo: Shampooing hair everyday can leave it drier and limp, and gives rise to frizz. Dilute shampoo with water before use.
- Natural Conditioning: Condition your curly hair with natural ingredients such as olive oil, eggs, or yoghurt. These soften the texture of the hair and make it more manageable.
- Oiling: Regular oiling rejuvenates the health of curly hair. Massaging in some coconut oil can aid in hair growth. Olive oil is known to have moisturising elements. Castor oil promotes healthy hair. Try to oil your hair before every wash, and if not, then once a week.
- Heat Exposure: Minimise the heat exposure to your hair strands. This causes damage and breakage in hair. If this is an inevitable part of your daily routine, buy a heat resistant serum to apply before using a blow drier or straightening iron on your hair.
- Bleaching and Colouring: Bleaching hair and colouring it strips the strands of hair of their natural oils and pigment, which damages texture of the hair and makes it brittle. These treatments should be avoided. If hair is already bleach or colour treated, oil it often and use shampoos and conditioners which are specifically meant for coloured hair.
- Comb, Don’t Brush: Using hairbrushes on your curly hair promotes breakage of the hair from the middle. Instead of untangling the knots in the hair like a comb, the brush breaks the hair. Combing curly hair also lessens the amount of frizz in the hair.
- Anti-Frizz Hack: If you want to be rid of frizz quick, wrap your wet hair in a t-shirt once you have washed them. The material of the t-shirt is more conducive to letting the hair breathe than a towel, and you end up with more manageable hair.
No more waiting and no more pondering upon what to do with your hair; now you have a list of various hairstyles for curly hair and black men curly haircuts out of which you can choose one that suits you the best.
Table of Content
- 40 Best Men Curly Hairstyles:
- 1. Undercut
- 2. Curly Quiff
- 3. Side-Swept
- 4. Slicked Back
- 5. Curly Fringe
- 6. Man-Bun
- 7. Messy Curls
- 8. Short Crop
- 9. Curly Bob
- 10. Full Curls
- 11. Curly Tail
- 12. Cupid Curls
- 13. Hard Part Curls
- 14. Salt Spray Curls
- 15. Curly Pompadour
- 16. Angular Curls
- 17. Brushed Back
- 18. Tapered Sides
- 19. Faux-Hawk
- 20. Drop Fade
- 21. The wild Rock ‘n’ Roll Look:
- 22. The Lion’s Mane Look:
- 23. Curly Mohawk men:
- 24. Natural Curls:
- 25. The Grown up curls:
- 26. Curls at the back:
- 27. Windy waves:
- 28. Affectionate Serenade Look:
- 29. Regular Curly look:
- 30. Ready Bed Head Look:
- Black men curly hairstyles:
- How to Maintain Curly Hair: