Whether you shave occasionally or daily, some of the common problems faced are razor bumps, ingrown hairs, nicks and redness.
Just like using the right razor, it is equally essential to use the best shaving cream to get a smooth and clean shave finish without any sensitivity or irritation.
Shaving can strip of moisture from the skin. To prevent this, you should purchase a shaving cream that contains nutrients which can nourish and moisturize the skin to provide smooth finish. It will also provide relief from bumps and burns as well so you will feel more comfortable after the finish.
While purchasing a shaving cream, check out whether it contains essential oils and carrier oils.
Jojoba, coconut, almond and olive oil are some of the beneficial carrier oils which makes the shaving slick – ensuring comfortable and close shave.
Sandalwood, eucalyptus, lavender, rose and other similar essential oils are not only helpful to skin but also leave a natural and pleasure scent.
If you have sensitive skin, then we recommend avoiding shaving creams that contain dye, artificial fragrance and alcohol – as they lead to skin irritation.
For a deeper analysis on how to choose a shaving cream, we recommend reading our buying guide. Along with that, we have also explained how to apply shaving cream in different methods.
Below, we have the Best Shaving Creams for Men that can provide the perfect shave as you desire.
Top 7 Shaving Creams
Barbasol is one of America’s top shaving brands. They have over a hundred year of operation and are a well-known name in men’s grooming. They sponsor many sports teams and fund multiple non-profit organisations across America.
The Barbasol shaving cream original is suitable for all skin types. This is their pack of 2 classic variants, they also have sensitive, extra moisture and soothing aloe variants. The unique formula dispenses as foam but has the thickness and richness of shaving cream.
The thick lather makes it easy to get a clean shave with a single swipe. Due to its richness, it is also non-irritating and hydrating on the skin. The shaving cream has a faint, fresh fragrance that is not overpowering.
The new and improved version of the bottle has a rust proof aluminium bottom that doesn’t leave rust stains and marks on your bathroom sink or cabinet.
Things we liked:
- Made in USA
- The bottle comes with a pump that makes it easy to dispense the product
- Has a very faint fragrance, great for people with a sensitive nose
- Comes in a pack of 2, which will last you a long time
- The non-drying formula is great for everyday use
Things we didn’t like:
- Some people received lesser capacity than what they ordered
Cremo doesn’t make thick foam like most of the shaving creams, and all you need to use are your fingers instead of a shave brush to put it. Neither one of the facts pursues long-held customs in the wet shaving diversion yet. The planners of their Astonishingly Superior Shave Cream contend that customary shaving cream foams contain air stashes, which expands the odds of scratches and general aggravation. The nonattendance of air enables an obstruction to frame between the sharp blade and your skin
As it were, there’s very little dead air in Cremo’s bewildering item. Rather, it’s loaded up with smooth atoms that convey a nearby shave without disturbance. There are no contrivances or cushion about this cream, yet an equation that is cautiously created to give the most ideal prepping.
- Lil goes a far way
- Gives clammy, bother-free shaves
- People often confuse it as pre-shaving oils
Cremo is one of a kind among different items you’ll discover on the wet shaving rack; however, it backs its uniqueness with sound science. You’ll get a perfect shave when utilizing this item with most kinds of razors.
The Art Of Shaving is a New York based, high end men’s grooming company that specializes in beard and shaving products. Their shaving products have received multiple awards. They also have body care, fragrance and hair care ranges.
The Art Of Shaving Sandalwood shaving cream has a thick cream formula that has no artificial dyes or alcohol. The formula has been clinically tested to be suitable for sensitive skin types.
Natural ingredients such as glycerin and coconut oil ensure a hydrating and non-irritating shave. Both glycerin and coconut oil are known for their intense moisturising properties. The cream has a rich and thick consistency that lathers extremely well even with hard water. The thick lather ensures a smooth and close shave.
The sandalwood fragrance comes from natural sandalwood essential oil. The fragrance is just perfect and neither overpowering nor faint enough that it vanishes quickly. The pleasant smell lingers gently throughout the day.
It comes in a 150ml/ 5 -ounce pack and requires very little product per use. So, a single bottle will last a long time.
What we liked:
- The rich whipped cream consistency is a perfect combination of shaving soap and a shaving cream
- Clinically & dermatologically tested for sensitive skin
- Ultra-rich lather when used with a shaving brush
What we did not like:
- The product comes in a jar bottle which is not convenient
- Pricier than other shaving creams in the market
- You have to be careful so that water doesn’t get in the tub while shaving as this will ruin the thick consistency
As a matter of first importance, those two characteristic oils loan themselves intensely to the fragrance of this item, which is ruled by the Menthol.
Be that as it may, they aren’t only there for the smell. The Menthol is intended to cool and quiet the skin, dodging razor consume and furthermore helping keep your skin look glad and saturated subsequent to shaving. The Eucalyptus Oil is likewise there to help the skin, being incorporated for its capacity to tone and cleanse it.
- Contains Eucalyptus Oil to Tone and Purify Skin
- Additionally Contains Menthol to Cool and Refresh
- Makes a Very Rich Lather
- The cream may be too thick to be used with disposal razors.
This item is intended to be very kind to skin and abandon it looks incredible. This shaving cream additionally has an exceptionally intriguing assembling process. It is made in Italy, where Proraso just makes it in little groups.
Pacific Shaving Company is a relatively new company in the list. The company started in 2002 and is based out of San Francisco, USA. They started with just one product i.e. a beard oil but now have hundreds of products tackling all kinds of shaving needs.
The Natural shaving cream as the name suggests is made up of certified organic and plant based ingredients.
The ingredient list includes organic aloe vera juice which is known for its soothing and non-irritating properties. Natural aloe vera juice is also an excellent moisturiser. It has organic shea butter and sunflower seed oil as well as glycerin. Shea butter is not only an excellent moisturiser but is also beneficial for sensitive skin with conditions such as eczema and skin irritation. Shea butter along with glycerin makes the hair soft which allows for a smooth shave. The sunflower seed oil minimises any inflammation and irritation caused due to shaving.
The densely concentrated formula is made to last for up to 100 shaves. Requires only a nickel sized amount for a great shave.
Things we liked:
- Vegan and free of paraben
- Made in USA
- Zero synthetic fragrance
- Cruelty-free and recyclable packaging
- TSA friendly
- The tube packaging is easy to use and travel-friendly
Things we didn’t like:
- Does not lather too much, might not work thick beard that requires rich lather
- Takes some time to rinse off, leaves a slippery residue after shaving
The 2-in-1 formula is meant to shave and condition the skin. It has a non-foamy creamy texture that keeps your skin moisturised up to 24 hours after shaving. The hydrating formula contains shea butter, aloe and soy protein.
Shea butter gives rich moisturisation while aloe soothes the skin and prevents razor burns and inflammation. Soy protein reduces skin textures and acne. It is also beneficial for minimising hyperpigmentation in some cases.
What we liked:
- Unscented and hypoallergenic, making it an excellent choice for sensitive skin
What we did not like:
- Might not work for thick beards as it does not create lather
- Clogs the razor during shaving
- Not suitable for oily skin
The Gillette shaving cream comes in a foam texture that has a creamy lather. Due to its foam texture, it lathers up instantly and does not require any brush. The moisturizing formula is especially good for sensitive skin and gives a close shave without irritation or razor burns.
Although it has a rich lather, it rinses clean and does not leave any sticky residue like other moisturizing shaving creams. The pleasant fragrance is mild and not overpowering.
What we liked:
- Comes with a pump packaging that is easy to use
- Affordable and value for money
What we did not like:
- The packaging gets rusty in a humid environment such as your bathroom
Shaving creams are made using a combination of oils, surfactants, soaps, and water that result in a smooth mixture. Applying a shaving cream helps in lubricating your skin well. It also leads to swelling up the hair follicles and desensitizing the skin beneath.
A good quality shaving cream allows a good lubrication so that the shaving razor blade glides down the skin smoothly and effortlessly and prevents any accidental cuts. After applying the cream, the hair follicles get swollen up and thus, the lubrication property makes it easier for the blade to provide a clean and seamless shave on your skin.
Apart from the clean shave, the lubrication provided by the shaving cream also prevents the razor blade from skipping over your skin. The skipping of the blade can lead to minor abrasions causing razor burns or irritation.
Things to Consider While Purchasing a Shaving Cream
Here are some factors that can help you buy the best shaving cream that will meet all your requirements. Let’s have a look!
1. Type of Skin
Men generally have either dry, oily, or sensitive skin types. If you are one of those with a sensitive skin type, you must avoid buying a shaving cream that contains any kind of astringent.
However, if you have an oily skin type, it can be useful for you to use a shaving cream that contains astringent. The reason behind this is such creams help in reducing the formation of oil and also prevents the pores on the skin from clogging.
For men with a dry skin type, it will be helpful for you to buy a glycerine-based shaving cream. The presence of glycerine in the cream helps in providing a foundation so that your razor blade can glide over the face without causing any accidental cuts or nicks.
If you have a sensitive skin type, you should avoid buying shaving creams that have alcohol and heavy and artificial fragrances. Since your skin is sensitive, it means that it is more prone to irritation, razor bumps, or razor burns.
Thus, for men with sensitive skin and for those who are already suffering from skin conditions such as psoriasis or eczema, it is very important that you buy only those creams that are made especially for sensitive skin.
You must always know that what all ingredients are present in your shaving cream. To help you understand the ingredients better, here is a list of few ingredients that must be present in the shaving cream that you are using.
Shaving creams that contain natural ingredients like almond oil or jojoba oil are good for your skin. These oils don’t make the cream oily. In fact, they evaporate very within no time. Such carrier oils help in mimicking the sebum oil that is produced by sebaceous glands on a daily basis.
Apart from this, the carrier oils are mild in nature and help in making the shaving cream slick so that it offers you a clean and comfortable shaving experience.
If you have a dry skin type or after shaving, if you face irritation over your cheeks, you should buy a shaving cream that contains loads of natural moisturizers. These moisturizers help in making your skin look vibrant and better. They also help in making your skin feel soft.
You should also look for shaving creams that contain essential oils like eucalyptus oil, sandalwood oil, rose oil, etc. These oils are light on the skin and leave behind a natural and pleasant smell.
Ingredients that you should avoid
Here are some of the ingredients that you must try to avoid in the shaving cream:
Parabens are widely used in most skincare products as they help in preventing the growth of bacteria. However, the ingredient is also linked to a few ailments such as allergies and asthma. Thus, it is better to avoid it in the shaving cream.
SLS, also called as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate helps in cleaning the skin when applied directly. Nevertheless, it is also capable enough of stripping away the natural oils from your skin. Another property of SLS is it can stay in your body for around 5 days.
SLES is generally used in petroleum-based skincare products to reduce the side-effects. But some SLES can also lead to major side effects like organ toxicity, for new users.
You will find fragrance in most of the skincare products and is quite difficult to avoid. However, when we say “fragrance”, it constitutes of around 3000 chemicals. Thus, you can try and select products that contain natural essential oils and avoid Parfum/Fragrance.
Since essential oils are extracted from fruits and plants, they are natural and absolutely safe to use. Most brands of the shaving creams prefer adding a combination of menthol and eucalyptus scent as it feels fresh and offers a cool sensation post the application.
Before starting to shave, you must be well aware that what are you expecting from the shave. Coming to lather, it serves 3 major purposes – easy application, provides cushioning, and adds slickness.
Whatever shaving cream you choose, the shaving tools along with the hardness of water impact the performance of the cream. Even if you use the same shaving cream on different areas of your body, you might notice a difference in the lathering pattern.
By providing a cushioning, the cream helps in providing protection to your skin. Since it is a bit difficult to figure out the amount of cushioning that a cream provides, you can go through the reviews of the users who have already used it. An ideal shaving cream should provide a sufficient amount of cushioning without generating a lot of foam. For the creams that are very foamy, the lather created by them tend to dry up pretty quickly.
Depending on the type of shaving cream that you choose, the amount of lather generated can range from a really thick and rich layer to a thin layer over your face. The lather plays an important role because it should be hydrated enough so that the blade can pass on your skin smoothly without clogging, and thereby providing enough protection.
How to apply a Shaving Cream the right way?
The golden rule to get a clean, comfortable, close, and irritation-free shave is to take some time and apply the shaving cream properly and correctly.
If you ask any shaving expert, they say that applying the shaving cream using a shaving brush is the best. Here’s why.
The shaving brush works on lifting the hair so that it is easier for the razor blade to cut the hair without pressing it firmly over your skin. As a result, the chances of accidental cuts or nicks reduce drastically and the irritation will also be less. However, if you plan to use your hand to apply the cream, the possibility is you might leave many hairs still stuck to the skin.
A shaving brush also allows you to apply the shaving cream evenly and uniformly on your skin.
Using a hairbrush also helps in providing a pre-exfoliation to your skin. Doing this helps in loosening up the dirt or oil coating before shaving or else you might face skin irritation.
The best way to apply the shaving cream is to take some cream in a bowl and mix it using the shaving brush and then apply it to your skin. Using a good quality cream allows you to have better control over the factors like heat and moisture so that it produces a rich lather than other creams.
To help you more with this, we have explained the process of applying a shaving cream using both a shaving brush and your hands. Let’s check it out.
1. Using a Shaving Brush
- Take a medium-sized bowl and fill it up with hot water (you can either use a ceramic bowl or an old coffee mug rather than using a glass bowl). Place your shaving brush in this bowl for a minute or so. Doing this will help the hair of the brush to retain moisture so that it is helpful in creating a rich and slicker lather.
- Wash your face or clean your face using a hot towel so that your facial hair softens up a bit.
- Now throw the hot water from the bowl (don’t dry it though) and gently squeeze the brush to get rid of excess water. Don’t shake the brush as it might lead to the formation of knots.
- Put a small amount of shaving cream (almond-sized) over the shaving brush.
- Start creating lather in the bowl or mug by stirring the brush vigorously for a few seconds. Lather until you start noticing very small bubbles along with a few peaks. You shouldn’t be seeing individual bubbles by this time.
- Now use the brush to spread the cream evenly across your face. Take a dime-sized blob of the cream and apply it to each cheek. Start swirling it into a circular pattern until you cover the entire shaving area and then you can start shaving.
2. Using your hands
- Take a shower for some time or take a hot towel and apply it over the area that you are supposed to shave. This will help in softening the facial hair.
- Before applying the shaving cream, apply some hot water to your face as it will help in activating the lathering properties of the cream.
- Take a small amount of shaving cream in each hand and start rubbing your hands in small and tight circles. Take a few drops of water and rub for some more time.
- Now start applying the cream evenly across the shaving area. Make sure that the cream is not forming any clumps. You can now start the shaving process. Repeat the same procedure if required.
Tips for shaving cream
Following the tips mentioned below can save you from a painful and uncomfortable shave.
- If you are willing to have a quick shave, it is always helpful to wash your face using warm or lukewarm water. This will help in softening the hair and the skin. The best time to shave is right after the shower.
- After applying the shaving cream to your face, let the cream sit on your skin for a while and then start shaving. Letting the formula sit for a few minutes helps in softening the hair to provide an easy and comfortable shave.
- Make sure that you are shaving in the direction of the hair growth only and not otherwise.
- To minimize the irritation caused due to shaving, we suggest you to rinse off the razor after each swipe.
Benefits of using a shaving cream
Using a shaving cream helps in ensuring that there is less friction and thus, the chances of cuts or nicks are less. Let’s check each benefit in detail.
1. It helps in softening the beard
The biggest advantage of using a shaving cream is it provides hydration. It keeps the moisture in the facial hair intact while you are shaving so that the beard is soft and easy to cut.
2. The cream also helps in lubricating the razor
If you wish that the razor should simply glide over your face, you must definitely apply a shaving cream. The smoother the flow of the razor is, the chances of cuts or razor burns reduce automatically.
3. Soothes your skin
While some shaving creams contain ingredients that desensitize the skin, others contain specific moisturizers or antiseptics. Since the skin is raw and sensitive after shaving, you should select a shaving cream that works according to your skin type.
Types of Shaving Creams
The shaving creams come in 4 different types.
1. Traditional Shaving Cream – Tub/Tube
A traditional shaving cream allows you to have full control over the lather that is created. It is suitable for men who prefer using a straight razor or a safety razor to shave their beards. The only disadvantage of using traditional shaving creams is you will have to be reliable over extra accessories such as a shaving bowl and a shaving brush.
2. Shaving Foam
The shaving foams have been around for a long time and are generally available in canned form. The propellant (either propane or isobutene) present inside the can pushes out the lather that is not only rich but luxurious and aerated. This helps in maintaining your skin supply while you are shaving.
When compared to the traditional shaving creams, the shaving foams don’t offer enough control over the consistency. Despite this, it is a great option for those who use a disposable or cartridge razor.
3. Latherless Shaving Cream
These creams are non-foaming creams. They concentrate majorly on providing a smooth and super slick surface so that the razor can glide upon easily.
When compared to the traditional creams, the latherless shaving creams are quite modern and most of them are made using natural ingredients.
4. Shaving Gel
Shaving gels (not always) contain a little amount of alcohol in the container. Whether it is good for your skin, it depends on the structure of the alcohol – whether it is fatty or simple.
In most of the cases, you might want to avoid buying shaving gels that contain simple alcohols like methyl alcohol, isopropyl, etc. The reason behind this is they might cause irritation whenever there is an accidental cut or nick. They even dry out the skin.
Apart from this, you might also have a little control over the final result while whipping the gel for the lather. However, the result will be consistent only – either consistently good or consistently poor.
It is very difficult to say which type is superior to the other as it is largely dependent on your personal choice than anything else.
Apart from this, it also depends on the type of razor that you use. For example, if you use an electric razor, you should prefer using a latherless shave cream because its thinner consistency ensures optimal performance.
If you use a safety razor, you should use a traditional shaving cream. Since these creams offer a thicker consistency, they insulate the skin beneath properly and allow a close and comfortable shave.
For men who use a straight razor, you can either use a shaving soap or a traditional shaving cream. The shaving soap allows you to have more control over the lubrication and aims to offer a delicate balance.
However, if you use a disposable or cartridge razor, the biggest issues that you might be dealing with is clogging. And thus, using thicker creams is a big no-no for you guys. Instead, you should try using shaving gels or foams. The variety that would work the best for you is latherless shaving cream.
Here is a table that can be helpful to you:
|Type of razor
|Type of shaving cream
|Safety Razor (Double Edge)
|1. Traditional shaving cream
2. Shave soap
|1.Traditional shaving cream
2. Shave soap
|Disposable or Cartridge Razor
|1. Latherless shaving cream
2. Shaving foam
3. Shaving gel
Shaving Cream vs. Shaving Soap
When compared, using a shaving soap is definitely old-school. It represents the traditional method of shaving and is around for ages. Let’s check the difference between both of them.
- The first and foremost difference is the shave soap is hard whereas the shaving cream has a creamy texture.
- The amount required to generate lather using a shaving cream is very less when compared to the shaving soaps.
- Soaps are affordable options than shaving creams.
- Many people think that shaving soaps are unscented. However, you can get scented shaving soaps too. Similarly, not all shaving creams are scented. People with sensitive skin should avoid buying products that contain artificial fragrance as it might cause irritation.
- According to some shaving experts, the shaving soaps provide better cushion and lubrication when compared to non-traditional shaving creams or gels.