A perm hair is a permanent curly and wavy hairstyle produced by setting tight or loose curls upon chemical and heat treatments. The twirls and curls of a permed hair are trendy all through and it gives you a complete hair makeover. By having different styles of permed hair like spiral, bushy, loose, mohawk, and so on, you will get a new look and be away from the boring straight hair. The beautiful perm waves on your hair give a special attention and spotlight anywhere.
It is so exciting for girls, ladies, and women of all ages to have a permed hair style, but its care and maintenance seems to be so daunting. Now, get relaxed as you discover this site. By using the right hair care products of nourishing shampoos and conditioners, this maintenance won’t be risky or confusing.
Many shampoos and conditioners for permed hair are available in the market. But, not all may be suitable for all. And, we also have different textures and types of hair – thick, thin, fine, curly, soft, oily, and so on. So, we have to choose one which is most suitable for us.
As you know, it’s important to check the composition of hair care products. Now, when you are looking for a shampoo or conditioner for your permed hair, you should be more careful. You have to be more specific to check the natural ingredients and chemical components before purchasing the best shampoos and conditioners for permed hair.
Ingredients – The shampoos and conditioners for permed hair should have ingredients that nourish, moisturize, and hydrate the hair well. The most common components of these products are – coconut oil, shea butter, honey, argan oil, keratin, and macadamia oil.
Sulfate and Paraben-free Shampoos – Sulfates and parabens present in a shampoo reduce the natural oil present in your scalp and hair, and make it dry and frizzy. So, you should avoid shampoos having them, to keep your permed hair safe and damage-free.
Apart from these, there are many other things to look upon to make the best and satisfactory shampoo or conditioner choice. We have mentioned them in the ‘Buying Guide’ following the product reviews.
Ease your process of searching for the best permed hair care products with these 10 best shampoos and conditioners provided with respective ingredients, benefits, formulation, pros, and cons.
Top Shampoo and Conditioner for Permed Hair Reviews
Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Permed Hair Reviews
The HASK Coconut Milk + Honey shampoo and conditioner is one of our favourite shampoos for permed hair. The formulation includes the two most moisture-rich and nutrient-rich ingredients, coconut milk and honey, which can provide adequate moisture to thirsty permed hair.
Hydrating honey and coconut milk together boost moisture, provides shine and defines curls with better hold. The shampoo is free of sulphates, parabens, and alcohol. It gently removes build-up without stressing your curls and without disturbing the moisture balance.
It’s a deep conditioning treatment that quenches your curls with much-needed moisture. Raw honey improves manageability, reduces split ends while keeping beautiful coils in line with better hold, shine and bounce.
It’s sulphate-free and is completely safe for colour-treated hair as well. The best is it’s cruelty-free and also gluten-free.
- Shampoo and conditioner: 12 FL OZ
- Sulphate free, paraben-free, alcohol-free
- Cruelty-free, gluten-free
- Key ingredients: coconut and honey
- Loaded with moisture and nutrients
- Coconut milk provides better hold and bounce
- Doesn’t strip natural oils
- Smells heavenly
- Poor packaging
Love Beauty and Planet is among the top favourite brands of vegans. Love Beauty and Planet’s Coconut water and Mimosa flower shampoo is a volumizing shampoo ideal for permed hair which needs some volume and body.
The shampoo contains coconut water, coconut oils and mild coconut-based cleansers. Raw coconut water and coconut oil rejuvenate dull and chemically treated hair. The plant-based cleanser in the shampoo gently removes oil, dirt and scalp build-up but don’t mess with your curls. It’s free of sulphates. Parabens, silicons, phthalates and dyes ensuring your perms have the best possible organic care.
The thickening conditioner provides a deep hydration treatment. It locks the moisture in the strands, hydrates and provides strength to fine hair resulting in bountiful tresses. Mimosa flower adds a burst of fragrance to your gorgeous coils.
Love Beauty and Planet is cruelty-free and certified by PETA. All their bottles are made of recyclable plastic. These are affordable too.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: 13.5 FL Oz Pack
- Free of sulphates, parabens, silicone
- Main ingredient: coconut water, coconut oil
- Boosts volume
- Rejuvenates, nourishes and moisturizes
- Has gentle plant-based cleansers
- Safe on colour-treated hair
- Overpowering smell
If you are a fan of Loreal products, know that they have an amazing shampoo and conditioner set for permed hair. The key ingredient of the shampoo and the conditioner is coconut oil. It also contains a few other nourishing oil blends like grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil and hibiscus extracts.
Enriched with coconut oil, the shampoo forms a rich and luxurious lather. It’s specially formulated for curly hair to deliver weightless hydration that won’t weigh your coils down. The shampoo is free of sulphates, paraben, dyes and is formulated with all vegan ingredients.
The conditioner delivers deep moisture to define curls better that lasts for up to 48 hours. It reduces frizz, repairs and provides nourishment to hair that was exposed to chemical treatments. It’s ideal for dry, damaged, frizzy and vulnerable hair like permed hair. It’s vegan, cruelty-free, safe to use on colored hair and has no gluten.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: 8 FL Oz each
- Vegan, free of sulphates, paraben, dyes and gluten
- Main ingredient: Coconut oil
- Provides weightless hydration
- Reduces frizz and defines curls
- Safe to use on colour-treated hair
- Not very moisturizing
If you are looking for an inexpensive option, you can consider Garnier Curl Nourish Shampoo. It’s a set of three products- Nourishing shampoo, conditioner, leave-in cream- that takes complete care of your permed curls.
The two main ingredients of this formulation are coconut oil and glycerine. It also contains jojoba oil, macadamia oil, and lemon peel extract. It has mild surfactants ( not sulphate), which are not-irritant yet effective cleansers. It cleanses dirt and build-up but without stressing your coils. It’s free of parabens and silicones. Therefore safe to be used on colour-treated hair.
The conditioner has coconut oil, jojoba oil, and macadamia oils. It provides intense nourishment, reduces frizz and makes curls a lot more manageable. The curl cream, on the other hand, is a blend of plant-derived oils and fruit proteins, vitamin B3 and B6. It holds the curl better and aids in heat-less hair styling. It has fragrance as one of the main ingredients for which it smells heavenly.
- Shampoo: 12.5 Fl Oz, Conditioner: 12 Fl Oz, Cream: 10 Fl Oz
- Main Ingredient: Coconut oil, Glycerine
- Free of sulphates, parabens and silicones
- Full haircare range at an affordable range
- Comes with a curl defining cream
- Color safe, free of sulphates, parabens and silicones
- Smells amazing
- The main ingredient list doesn’t include any essential oils
Tresemme totally dominates the haircare industry with their different range of products and gives a tough time to their counterparts like L’oreal, Pantene, Garnier, etc. Here is another option if you’re looking for a budget shampoo to take care of your freshly permed hair.
Tresemme Flawless Curl shampoo contains Biotin, Niacinamide, Thiamine and provitamin B5. It’s a shampoo containing various vitamins that treat and benefit chemically treated hair. Simultaneously, the conditioner is enriched with Avocado oil, Coconut oil, and Argan oil and Vitamin B1.
Both avocado oil and Argan oil have deep nourishing qualities. It enters into the hair, repairs, protects and replenishes it. Coconut oil and Vitamin B1 helps in strengthening and preventing dryness and dullness. The conditioner provides a rich hydration to help define curls and give them a nice bounce after each wash. It contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate, and it’s not for color-treated hair.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: 28 Fl Oz
- Main ingredients: Vitamins, Avocado oil, Coconut Oil, Argan oil
- Well balanced formulation for chemically treated hair
- Contains several vitamins and essential oils
- Help define curls, nourish and protect them
- Contains sulphates
Shea Moisture is the go-to brand for people with curly, coil, voluminous hair. The shampoo might come a blessing for your permed hair as well but with a hefty price tag. The shampoo has the goodness of Jamaican black castor oil, Apple cider vinegar, raw shea butter and peppermint oil.
Enriched with Jamaican black castor oil, the shampoo works wonderfully in renewing and repairing chemically treated hair, hair that is damaged to heat styling. Organic and raw shea butter infused hydration and moisture and helps curls to stay healthy, shiny and bouncy with consistent use. It also reduces split ends and repairs hair from within.
The shampoo smells like invigorating peppermints. It also has apple cider vinegar as one of the main ingredients, which helps maintain a healthy pH balance and relieves scalp issues like dandruff, dry scalp etc. The shampoo is free of sulphates, parabens, silicones and any sort of harsh chemicals. It leaves your hair soft, smooth, shiny and bouncy.
- Shampoo and conditioner: 13 Fl Oz
- Key ingredients: Black castor oil, shea butter, apple cider vinegar
- Free of sulphates, parabens, silicons
- Enriched with multiple hair nutrients
- Balances healthy scalp ph
- Reduces split ends, heals damaged hair
- Invigorating and calming shampoo
- It doesn’t lather much
The Gentle Argan oil shampoo and conditioner from Tree to tub is 100% organic and pH balanced formula for your hair. It’s free of sulphates, parabens, silicones and any kind of harsh chemicals that are proven to be harmful to the hair.
The shampoo is infused with organic and botanical extracts like soapberry extracts, aloe vera, coconut oil, argan oil, and chamomile extracts. The shampoo contains mild coconut-based cleansers, which is ideal for sensitive, dry and damaged hairs. And has a PH-balanced formula that regulates the scalp’s oil balance.
The conditioner is a deep nourishing treatment for hair that was exposed to harsh chemical treatments. It contains aloe vera, shea butter, coconut oil, argan oil, and wild pomegranate extracts. It’s a herbal blend ideal for curly dehydrated hair, which boots moisture, strength and shine. The conditioner smells like lavenders. The shampoo is 100% organic, vegan, cruelty-free and free of SLS, SLES, silicone, DEA/MEA, parabens, glutens and synthetic fragrances.
- Shampoo and conditioner: 8.5 Fl Oz each
- Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, coconut oil, argan oil
- Free of SLS, SLES, silicone, DEA/MEA, parabens, gluten, fragrance
- Organic formula safe for colored hair
- Goodness of herbal essential oils
- Heals dry scalp, and scalp issues
- Ideal for sensitive scalps
- Doesn’t lather much
Nexxus is a salon-grade brand, and this shampoo is not an ordinary shampoo. This shampoo was developed with chemicals that will let you have your perms for a longer time. The main two ingredients of the Nexxus shampoo are elastin protein and hydrolyzed keratin.
Elastin protein is a type of hair protein that is used to enhance the elasticity of your hair. More elastic hair means better curls, better shine and better hair health. Another potent ingredient, hydrolyzed keratin, is the same keratin that makes hair. It makes hair stronger, shinier and makes it appear much smoother.
Other than these two, it has wheat protein which reduces hair porosity and boosts its ability to retain moisture. It also has hair strengthening and moisturizing benefits. It also has coconut oil. It’s a silicone-free formula. But the shampoo contains a few chemicals like sodium sulfate, sodium Laureth sulfate, alcohol and perfume.
- Shampoo and conditioner: 13.5 Fl Oz each
- Key Ingredient: Elastin protein and hydrolyzed keratin
- Free of silicone
- Improves elasticity
- Ideal for heavily damaged hair
- Reduces split ends and improves manageability
- Contains sulphates
This is a complete hair care solution for chemically damaged hair. Arvazallia is another certified organic brand that has a whole range of shampoo, conditioner and hair mask set that is made to improve, repair and replenish damaged hair.
It’s a sulphate-free formula that has Argan oil and Macadamia oil as key ingredients. Both of these essential oils are known for the ability to repair damaged hair, prevent dryness, split ends and boost moisture retaining capacity. Macadamia oil and Argan oils are two amazing ingredients for permed hair and curly hair.
The conditioner provides instant hydration, nourishes hair with essential oils and makes hair more manageable. The hair mask that comes along with the set needs to be applied once a week, and it lasts a pretty long time. The hair mask is loaded with Argan oil and Macadamia oil. It adds strength, boosts shine, improves elasticity and restores the lost moisture after a chemical treatment. It’s safe to use on keratin-treated hair and colored hair.
- Shampoo and conditioner: 8.45 Fl Oz each
- Key ingredients: Argan oil, macadamia oil
- Organic, free of sulphates, parabens and silicones
- Repairs, smoothes, softens
- Great for dry and dull hair
- Pleasant smell
- Complete hair care range in a budget
- Can leave oiler hair greasy
Clean Curls shampoo is a low-leather gentle shampoo free of sulphates that cleanses without disturbing the curls. The conditioner is a nutrient-rich cream that contains Argan oil, Macadamia seed oil and Amino acids.
The sulphate-free shampoo maintains the pH levels of a healthy scalp, creates soft, shiny and bouncy curls. The curl quench conditioner filled with healing oils helps in easy detangling. The goodness of argan oil and macadamia oils provides weightless hydration, heals and repairs your curls.
Amino acids, on the other hand, restores strength in permed hair. It provides protein to weak and vulnerable chemically processed hair. The shampoo is also free of sulphates and parabens, hence, safe to use on color-treated hair.
- Shampoo and conditioner: 300 ml each
- Key ingredients: Argan oil, macadamia oil
- Cruelty-free, sulphate free, paraben-free
- Weightless hydration to your curls
- Provides strength to fine hair
- Makes hair soft and touchable
- Argan oil nourishes, heals and repairs
- Overwhelming flower scents
Things to Consider When Choosing the Right Shampoos and Conditioners for Permed Hair
Most of us are unaware of what our permed hair needs exactly. I mean, we pick up any shampoo on which ‘perm’ or ‘curly’ is written and add it to our cart. But, we are not sure if it really works for us. So, when having permed hair, it’s essential to keep in mind some important considerations and purchase the right shampoos or conditioners.
As you know, you’ll get permed hair upon several chemical treatments, and so the hair becomes more fragile. If you continue using chemical-based shampoos for its care, they will get more damaged and become prone to easy breaking. So, ensure that you choose shampoos and conditioners which have natural ingredients like coconut oil, aloe vera, fruit extracts, leaf extracts, antioxidants, and others that have anti-inflammatory properties.
We suggest you check if your shampoo has these natural ingredients.
- Coconut oil – It is an inevitable common ingredient of shampoos that are specifically made for permed hair. Apart from reducing protein loss, it penetrates deep into the hair shaft. So, the hair gets enriched with saturated fatty acids present in it that heals the dried and damaged hair. Moreover, it gives shine, locks the moisture, and reduces frizz.
- Argan oil – Argan oil is mostly present in costly hair care products but it is worthy to maintain the chemically treated permed hair. As it is rich in fatty acids and Vitamin E, it nourishes, improves, repairs, and reduces the hair damage thereby maintaining its quality.
- Shea butter – Shea butter, which is rich in Vitamin E and A, acts as the best moisturizer. It is a naturally sourced hair conditioner that is non-greasy and hassle-free to use.
- Black castor oil – It helps to increase the blood flow into the scalp thereby allowing better nutrient absorption. Therefore, it is much more helpful for ladies suffering from sensitive itchy scalp, psoriasis, and dandruff. Moreover, it moisturizes, strengthens, and increases hair growth.
- Macadamia oil – It is a natural emollient that penetrates the hair shaft much better than many other essential oils. It shines, smoothens, and manages the permed hair for an awesome look.
- Honey – Honey, an excellent hair moisturizer, retains moisture in the hair. It also brings shine and luster to your dull and damaged hair.
- Hydrolyzed keratin – Keratin proteins, which are more essential for hair growth, are infused in most shampoos. As the hair especially becomes dry upon chemical curling, the keratin should be used compulsorily to restore hair strength. It makes the hair’s appearance healthier and shinier.
- Elastin protein complex – It improves the hair’s elasticity and defines the curls better.
- Aloe vera – Aloe vera is the best hair conditioner that makes your hair smooth and soft.
Folks with scalp issues like dandruff, itchy scalp, or excessively oily scalp need a better shampoo which have a pH-balanced formula to treat them. So, we advise you to choose shampoos with Aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, honey, peppermint oil, etc. to treat scalp issues of your permed hair.
Sulfate and Paraben-free Formulations
Sulfates are the hair cleansers available in many shampoos, and they give out much lather. But, they are found to reduce the natural oils present in your hair scalp. And so, it is always better to avoid such shampoos to protect your permed hair. Otherwise, the dry and dehydrated permed hair will lose its moisture and oil content and become much drier and lifeless.
On the other hand, shampoos and conditioners are infused with parabens to prevent the growth of fungus. But, they too make your hair dry and weak. So, do not stick to shampoos that have parabens too.
We hereby remind you, again and again, of the importance of maintaining moisture in your permed hair.
Humectants are those substances that can draw in the moisture content from their surroundings. Certain shampoos and conditioners contain humectants like glycerine and sorbitol which lock up and seal the moisture required for your permed hair. They make your permanent curly and wavy hair more attractive and healthy.
Moreover, some amino-acid-based shampoos have moisturizing compounds like malic acid, ceramide, etc. which also retain moisture. And, you will have a much fuller hair feeling upon using such shampoos.
Based on your permed hair texture, you can use different types of conditioners. Usually, hair stylists recommend gels for large curls, sprayers for soft curls, and dense creams for more curly hair.
It’s always important to consider the side effects or safety concerns that may arise generally on your colored permed hair. So, check if the shampoo or conditioner is suitable for color-treated hair without which you may end up with unwanted and more risky hair issues.
Check the foaming
Certain non-silicone shampoos do not give much lather or foam but they are efficient in cleaning. Still, you may not feel proper cleaning as the shampoo does not give foam or lather. So, you may use extra shampoo or conditioner assuming a better effect and good feel. Therefore, be careful to check the composition and use it appropriately to avoid wastage.
The texture of Permed Hair
Your permed hair may be thick, thin, or normal. Do you know that you have to choose a better hair care product depending on your curl texture? Yes, if you have fine, thin, or normal curly hair, you have to use a few shampoos and sprays to weigh it down. But, if you have coarse curly hair, then you need extra conditioning for additional shine and appeal.
Price and Value for Money
Your investment should give you 100% satisfaction. While some shampoos and conditioners for permed hair remain expensive, they do not add value to your money. Whereas, some others are affordable but may or may not give good results.
Generally, some of the most branded shampoos are very expensive. Yet they fulfill your permed demands. So, we suggest you choose such famous branded and costly shampoos. Otherwise, your curls may get damaged, and you may have to reinvest more, redo perms, and repair your damaged hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Generally, it is recommended to shampoo your permed hair twice a week and maintain long-lasting curls. But, if you have oily hair, we suggest you use two types of shampoos – a mild cleansing shampoo and a hydrating shampoo alternatively twice a week.
Based on your hair length, texture, and curl type, you can use different types of shampoos like organic shampoos, volumizing shampoos, dry damaged hair shampoos, oily hair shampoos, and normal hair shampoos. Besides, there are even some 2-in-1 shampoos that include a shampoo and a conditioner within. So, you need not purchase a conditioner separately.
After having a perm, you should not wash your hair for the next 48 hours. It will then be an adjustment phase during which you have to follow strict care and maintenance. So, better do these things –
*Do not comb your hair.
*Just detangle the hair with your finger or a wide-toothed comb.
*Apply nourishing oils like argan oil and coconut oil to set your hair.
*Wear a nightcap while sleeping and use a silk pillow to rest your head.
You should clean your hair well at home to remove oil, sebum, build-up, or any others before having a perm. Also, at salons, the hair stylists will wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo that lathers well and leaves your hair squeaky clean.
Permed hair needs utmost hydration and nourishment. Also, it should always remain damage-free for better health and a curly appearance. So, you have to use a proper shampoo, a conditioner, a hair mask, or a leave-in conditioner that gives those results.
We advise you to look for hair care products that have essential oils like macadamia oil, coconut oil, argan oil, and others that maintain such needs.
There is no such time restriction to leave the shampoo on the permed hair. You should just keep it well on the hair strands till you scrub and clean the scalp before rinsing. And there is also no difference in the time the shampoo should be left on a permed hair or a normal straight hair.
Yes, it is always better to continuously use conditioners whenever you wash the permed hair with shampoo. You should leave the conditioner on the hair at least for a minute before rinsing for proper moisturizing and conditioning effect to the dried hair.
Moreover, you can maintain deep conditioning to the permed hair by a hair mask once a week.
A regular shampoo does not work for your permed hair. The chemically-treated curly hair becomes dry and needs better moisture and nutrition. So, you should use specific shampoo and conditioner that maintains health, shiny look, and growth of permed hair.
If you have color-treated permed hair, then you have to choose the shampoo properly. You should only use shampoos that are free from chemicals like Sulfates, Phthalates, and Parabens. These chemicals may further dry up your hair and damage it.
You should use only warm water when shampooing and cleaning the permed hair. When you use hot water, the natural oils from the hair may strip off and reduce the normal shine.
On the other hand, warm water opens the cuticles or pores of the hair so that the shampoo penetrates the hair. So, it removes the dirt and cleans the hair more perfectly. Moreover, the essential moisturizing and oily effects will enter through the cuticles sufficiently and give better results.
How to Use a Shampoo or Conditioner for Permed Hair?
It is very easy to use a shampoo or a conditioner for permed hair. But, it needs a bit more care to maintain the curls.
- Just after having a permed hair, do not comb or wash the hair and wait for one day to refine the curly shapes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water as the shampoo lathers and works better on wet hair.
- Based on your hair thickness, apply a sufficient amount of shampoo, and then make foam or lather.
- It is recommended to mix the shampoo with water, and then use it. This is because the shampoo spreads evenly on the hair strands. Also, you can use less shampoo than that when you use it directly.
- Next, rinse completely with lukewarm water and check if there is any leftover residue.
- Later, apply a small amount of conditioner and smoothly apply it to your hair strand from the root to the tip.
- Remember that conditioner may irritate your hands. So do not leave it too long on your hands.
- Leave the conditioner on the hair at least for a minute and then rinse off with warm water.
- Then, dry it up gently with a towel. Ensure that you wipe it carefully without forming tangles or frizzes.
- If there are any windings or tangles, slowly remove them with your finger.
Perms for long, short, thin, or thick hair are so attractive, fascinating, and trendy as well. If you already have the curly, kinky, and wavy perms or planning to pertain to the beautiful stylish perms, chill up now as you have a handy couple of best shampoo and conditioners for permed hair.
As the permed hair lasts for 3 to 6 months, be alert to preserve them for a long time by better care. So, use any of the best products given above and have bouncy and glossy curls. Remember that dried hair curls need sufficient moisturization and nutrition. So, check the list of the necessary ingredients based on your hair type and texture.
We have provided a list of affordable ones, yet, you can undoubtedly go with the superior product – HASK COCONUT MILK + HONEY Hydrating Shampoo + Conditioner Set.. It contains coconut oils and honey which are the best nourishing factors for permed hair. Besides, it boosts hydration, repairs and prevents hair damage, and improves moisture retention power. As it avoids chemicals like parabens and sulfates, it is safe and also budget-friendly.
Got the right clues and products for your permed hair? Have you used any of these best shampoo and conditioners? If so, we are pleased to have your feedback on our reviews and a brief guide. Also, take a minute to comment or ask any doubts related to this topic.