Purple is a shade of royalty, power and luxury. This stunning colour of the year, can make any cut and style come alive.
Unlike other hues, this trendy colour
- looks good in every length and style
- Suits every complexion
- Blends easily with any style be it punk or elegant
Now even though you don’t inherit this hair colour you can still dye your hair into this trendy colour of the year.
Refer to these factors to get your ideal product.
Type of Dye
Hair dyes are of two types semi-permanent and permanent. If you are an amateur and like to experiment with hair colours then you should buy semi-permanent hair colour. This can easily be washed away in 2-3 weeks.
Whereas a permanent dye would colour your hair for 3-5 months time.
No. of Washes
Whether it’s a semi permanent or a permanent dye. Number of washes will vary. Some can last for a day or even 8 weeks. So you can choose a hair dye depending on how long you want it to last.
A well researched article on the most trending hair colour. Mentioning the 10 best hair dyes that you can buy online.
While you can refer to our Buying Guide to know about all the necessary details on the things to consider and also answers to your long awaited queries.
|Purple Hair Dye||Type||No. of washes|
|Arctic Fox Vegan Hair Color Dye||Semi-permanent||30 (4-8 weeks)||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye||Semi-permanent||4-6 weeks||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Garnier Nutrisse Hair Color||Permanent||3 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|MOFAJANG Hair Color||Semi-permanent||1 day||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Punky Purple Conditioning Hair Color||Semi-permanent||3-4 weeks||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Special Effects SFX Hair Color||Semi-permanent||3-6 weeks||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Manic Panic Purple Hair Dye Color||Semi-permanent||4-6 weeks||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|L'Oreal Paris Hair Color||Semi-permanent||1 day||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|L'Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color||Semi-permanent||5 weeks||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Iroiro Purple Hair Color||Semi-permanent||3 weeks||CHECK ON AMAZON|
1. Arctic Fox Vegan Hair Color Dye
Our first product is a semi-permanent dye. It can be used on a variety of hair bases,from platinum to light brown. Deep tinting darker hair and vibrancy on light hair. This makes it a favourite product for all hair dye lovers. It gives you a vibrant shade of purple. The best thing about this product is it does not have any harmful chemicals( no alcohol, PPD, ethyl, ammonia or peroxide) and is made of only vegan ingredients.
This is absolutely safe to use and it also conditions your hair while restoring its vibrancy. It comes with a sweet scent.
Along with this purple shade it has more 21 shades.
- Avoid swimming
- Avoid heat styling
- Wash in cold water
- Use sulphate free shampoos
- Use left over dye with sulphate free conditioner
- Works on various hair base
- No chemical
- 100% vegan
- Sweet scent
- Does not drip
- Colour bleeds
2. Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye – Dark Purple
Lime Crime is a 100% vegan brand that develops makeup and hair products that enhance your look, making you ready for parties and events. All its products are PETA and also leaping bunny certified.
In its unicorn hair dye range, this full coverage dye gives a tinge of dark purple to your hair. For best impact, you can use this dye on blonde hair and light brown hair.
The speciality of this product is that it doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals but contains moisturizing agents, so your hair remains soft and wavy even after colour application.
This colour is gentle on your hair and washes out late and also fades in a natural way without being weird when you step out.
- Apply it on unconditioned hair.
- Leave the product on the hair for 45 minutes after applying.
- Do not shampoo after rinsing the hair colour.
- If you have thick and long hair, you need 2 to 3 boxes of these.
- You get a vibrant shade that enhances your overall look.
- Doesn’t fade easily.
- Vegan product.
- Nothing specific to mention.
3. Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Nourishing Permanent Hair Color
This is a product for all purple shade lovers. This is a permanent dye that will let you enjoy your perfect purple shade for the longest time. Garnier can be called a pioneer in hair care with 100 years being in the market. With a blend of triple fruit oils (avocado, shea, olive, grape seed) it makes your hair nourished, smooth and silky. This has a non-drip formula which makes your dying process less messy.
This is also available in wide ranges of colour in the shades of blondes, trends, reds, blacks and browns.
Darker brunettes can blond without bleaching their hair with ultra light blondes. Darker hair can use Ultra Intense Reds and Ultra Intense Burgundies for vibrant red tones. You can lift your dark hair up to three shades lighter without brassiness with Ultra Lightening Browns.
While your darkest hair can be transformed with visibly reflective and shiny tones with Ultra Reflective Blacks.
- Includes creme developer, nourishing colour creme, fruit oil ampoule, nourishing conditioner
- Do not use this product if you have a sensitive, damaged or itchy scalp
- Do an allergy test 48 hours before use
- Do not use over compound henna or progressive colour
- Tattoos may increase the risk of allergy
- Wait for a minimum of 14 days after you bleach or perm your hair
- Should not be used on children
- Non-drip formula
- Composed of essential oils
- Doesn’t fade and last long
- Can make your hair dry and fizzy
4. MOFAJANG Hair Coloring Dye Wax, Purple Instant Hair Wax
This hair colouring wax from MOFAJANG is a completely natural formula that is not-only environment-friendly but also prevents irritation and allergies to your scalp.
It is a temporary hair colouring wax, so it is ideal for people who frequently change the colours of their hair or for someone looking to add some pop for events or festivities.
The major ingredients of this dye are bees wax, Camellia Sinensis extract and Glychyrrhiza Uralinsis. All these ingredients are non-sticky, so you can wash the hair easily after application.
As it gives an instant purple, it is best for people with black, blonde or brown hair. The colour looks charming even on shorter hair, so even men can use it.
- Once you rinse the hair, comb it before you start styling.
- Apply the wax on 80% dry hair.
- Wash the colour using warm water.
- Can be used daily.
- Apt for both long and short hair.
- Comes in a good quantity of 4.23 oz.
- Hair gets a bit dry after rinsing.
5. Punky Purple Conditioning Hair Color
If you want to give your hair a shade of alluring purple at an affordable price, then this is your best pick. This is formulated without acid dyes. This implies it wouldn’t bleed and minimize scalp staining. This is also a good option for people with allergic reactions with hair dyes. This does not contain PPD’s, ammonia, paraben or GMO’s hence it is safe to use.
This works on all hair types and all colour levels. This hair dye can withstand 25 washes. Letting you experiment without commitment.
- Shampoo and dry your hair
- Use petroleum or baby oil around your hairline to avoid staining
- Use rubber gloves while applying. Start from your roots to tips, using a tinting brush. Comb thoroughly
- Leave for 15-20 minutes and rinse off
- No harmful chemicals
- Contains colour enhancing keratin complex
- Not good with dark hair
6. Special Effects SFX Hair Color
This semi permanent dye gives you the most intense hair colour. This is a cruelty-free product. So you can assure your hair grooming without harming any animals.
Other than deep purple colour this is also available in wildflower, devilish, blood red, cherry bomb, hot lava, joyride, blue-haired fleak, blue mayhem, burgundy wine, candy apple red, Cupcake Pink, Devilish (Ruby Red), Fish Bowl, Hi-Octane Orange, Iguana Green, Mixer Toner, Napalm Orange, Nuclear Red, Pimpin Purple, Purple Smoke, Sonic Green.
Among these Atomic Pink, Nuclear Red, Cherry Bomb, Hi-Octane Orange, Joyride, Cupcake Pink, Bright as F Yellow, Napalm Orange glow under black light.
- Works better or pre-lightened or bleach hair
- Last up to 3-6 weeks
- Wide range of colours
- Intense colour
- Bad smell
7. Manic Panic Purple Haze – Purple Hair Dye Color
This will dye your hair into a warm and dark purple. Since it’s semi-permanent, you can wear it any time and wash off when you think of changing your hair colour. This makes it super convenient. This leaves a purple tone on your virgin and unbleached hair. You can also soften your shade by adding Manic Panic Pastel-izer. This is PPD, ammonia, paraben, Gluten and Phthalate-free. Making it absolutely safe to use and not prone to any kind of reaction.
This is also available in 49 shades
- Wash your hair with a deep clarifying shampoo
- Do not condition your hair
- Apply colour through a tint brush on your dry hair
- Cover your hair with a plastic cover and leave it for 30-45 minutes
- Do not shampoo just rinse with cold water
- Use hair dry for 5-10 minutes. This will open up the cuticle and help the colour to penetrate better.
- PETA certified
- Ready to use hair dye
- No harmful chemicals
- Bleeds and can stain your pillow covers
8. L’Oreal Paris Hair Color
For those who love to experiment with hair colours. This is an ideal product. It comes in a spray bottle. So you can just spray your entire hair or any part of it and it a few minutes your hair would be purple. This just lasts for 1 day and the fun fact is it is available in 10 other shades. This is safe to use as it does not have ammonia or peroxide. It does not require any bleaching. You directly use it.
- Apply when hair is absolutely dry
- This is flammable: avoid fire or on heat products
- Keep a distance 0f 4-6 inches before use
- Colour is more vibrant once it dries( don’t spray too much)
- 1 day spray
- Perfect for highlights
- Ammonia and peroxide free
- Easy application
- Makes your hair tangled and stiff
- Might not washout in 1 wash
9. L’Oréal Paris Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color
This is perfect for a makeover. Best suited for light blond or bleached hair. This is a semi-permanent hair dye and ammonia-free. You can also customize your hair colour by mixing it with a clear mixer to get a pastel shade of your choice.
- Contains ingredients that can cause allergy
- Do an allergy test 48 hours prior
- Bleach contains persulphate
- Prior colouring wait for 14 days after bleaching, relaxing or perming
- Wait for 15-30 minutes before you rinse
- Ammonia and peroxide free
- Last 4-8 shampoos
- Colour does not come off easily
10. Iroiro Purple Hair Color
Our tenth best product is made up of all-natural products. It does not contain any harmful chemicals( peroxide, ammonia, alcohol, PPD and synthetic fragrance. This is a cream-based colour, which can be easily massaged to colour your hair. Its main ingredient coconut oil restores dry and damaged hair while natural yuzu cranberry gives an aromatic fragrance.
- Lighten your hair prior colouring
- Shampoo without conditioning and dry your hair
- Use a protective cream on your hairline to prevent staining
- Apply colour evenly with protective gloves
- Leave the colour for 30 minutes
- Vegan product
- No harmful chemicals
- All-natural products
- Nourishes your hair
- Can leave a patchy effect
- Not to be used on darker hair
Things to consider before your purchase
Refer to these points to help you understand better and choose wisely before you invest in a hair dye.
1. Permanent or Semi Permanent Dye
This is one of the most crucial factors to consider before purchasing a dye formula. Permanent dyes will offer a long lasting result as compared to semi-permanent dyes.
Purple can be a difficult colour to maintain. So depending on how long you want to stick to it. You should choose the type dye.
For ameteur hair dyers and for people who love to experiment, you should go for semi-permanent hair dye.
2. Duration of colour
Hair dyes won’t last forever. They can last for a different time period. Some can last for a day, weeks or a few months. It depends on number washes. So make sure to check this before you buy a hair dye.
You should also consider its bleeding properties and take necessary precautions.
Hair dyes can have a lot of harsh chemicals. If you frequently colour your hair then you might want to stay away from these harsh chemicals. They can damage your hair and scalp in the long run.
Here are a few chemicals that you should avoid parabens, phthalates, PPD, ammonia, resorcinol, and gluten.
4. Base Colour and Secondary Colour
Few dyes available have to be mixed with a base to get your desired shade.
The shade of purple will depend on the amount of purple and the secondary colour. Every time you mix there is an addition or subtraction of a pigment that can change your purple shade. It would be fun to play with the mixture to get your favourite purple shade.
5. Allergic reaction
Some people can be allergic to hair dyes. PPDs (para-phenylenediamine) and PTD (para-toluenediamine) are one of the main reasons to cause allergies.
The most common symptoms are dry, cracked or stretched skin. You might have a burning sensation or tighten in your scalp.
Symptoms of allergy will appear within 48 hours. So make sure to do a skin allergy test 48 hours before each use of this product.
Finally, check the amount you are spending on your hair dye. This may vary from $6-$30. Price can vary on the basis of type of dye or the ingredients it is composed of.
7. Different shades of Purple
Pastel – This is the lightest shade of a colour. You can usually find this colour on Easter eggs. This is a softer purple shade that looks pretty and ethereal.
Lilac – This is similar to a pastel shade. Its colour resembles a lilac flower.
Lavender – This color has more of a blue base to it.
Mauve – this is a dusty purple. It’s usually as a grown-up purple. It has a hint of brown in it. It’s a bit more subtle than a bright violet.
Silver Purple – This looks metallic as compared to other purples. Imagine silver hair with streaks of purple and silver shining through.
Violet – This is a deep purple that is bright and vivid.
Magenta – To get this shade, pink and purple are mixed. You will surely stand out with this hair colour.
Neon – If you want to make a bold statement then you should definitely choose this colour. This is an electric purple.
Eggplant – This is a really dark purple bordering on black. If you mix a bright purple in black hair without bleaching you will get this colour.
Amethyst – You will get a jewel tone with this shade. It’s quite close to natural purple but a bit lighter.
Frequently Asked Questions
This depends on the purple shade you want to dye. For platinum to dark blond bleaching is not required. But if you have jet black hair then bleaching would be required.
There are a few ways that can protect your dyed hair and ensure your colour won’t fade away fast.
Do not wash your hair in hot water. Instead use cold water. Use a shampoo without sulfate or alcohol. Avoid frequent washes, it will help your dye stay longer. You can also mix the leftover dye to your conditioner. It will enhance your fading.
It depends on which type of dye you purchase. If you buy a temporary dye. Then it can last to a minimum of a day or up to 3-4 weeks. This just sits on top of your hair and fades easily with 1 or 2 washes.
Adding purple dye to your conditioner is a great way to avoid quick fading. There are also conditioners that help protect your purple hair. Choose a shampoo and conditioner without hard chemicals and which can treat hair colour.
Here you go, top ten best picks. We have concentrated on the most popular choices and highest reviews. With all the necessary details provided you can definitely choose your ideal product. Finding these best hair dyes was not easy and suggesting one among these best is a task. But we can surely do that task for you. Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye is our best suggestion. This is a semi permanent dye and can work all kinds of hair bases. While the best part about this is it does not contain any harmful chemicals and it is absolutely safe to use.
Do let us know which was your favourite.