“Want to end the struggle of oily and greasy hair? Then these drug-store shampoos are the only-ticket for Instagram-worthy hair.”
Using a wrong shampoo can only worsen and make oily hair even greasier.
Fortunately, there are drugstore shampoos that are specifically formulated to deal with oily hair without stripping off too much natural oil.
But let’s be real, you can see an overwhelming aisle of options while shopping for shampoos. With so many brands, different formulations and claims, it can be confusing.
To make the right choice, here are the main factors suggested by dermatologists to keep in mind.
1. Ingredients –
Steer clean off any shampoo that has a very long list of chemicals. Because higher the number, the more drying and moisture-stripping the shampoo will be. This in-turn makes the scalp produce more oil. So, choose shampoo with less man-made ingredients.
2. pH Balance –
Look for a shampoo that helps to maintain proper pH balance of the scalp as it reduces the production of excessive sebum. So, the hair will be less oily, even if you don’t wash it for once in a week.
Along with these two factors, we recommend you referring to the “Buying Guide” assorted with all the information required to make the right decision.
We have also rounded up the best drugstore shampoo for oily hair that are super-effective and available at budget-friendly prices.
10 Best Drugstore Shampoo for Oily Hair
|Drugstore Shampoo for|
|Quantity||Hair type||Buy Now|
|L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo||0.89 pounds||All kinds of hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two||1.24 pounds||All kinds of hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Maple Holistics Sulfate Free Degrease Shampoo||0.95 pounds||Colour-treated, thinning hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|OGX Hydrating + Shampoo Nourishing Invigorating Scalp Shampoo||0.81 pounds||Thick, thin, coarse, frizzy|
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Vanicream Store Free & Clear Hair Shampoo||0.75 pounds||All kinds of hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Aveeno Scalp Soothing Shampoo Apple Cider Vinegar Blend||0.83 pounds||Normal hair, oily hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Neutrogena Anti-residue Shampoo||0.38 pounds||All kinds of hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Aveeno Pure Renewal Gentle Shampoo||0.82 pounds||Colour-treated hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Maple Holistics Degrease Daily Clarifying Shampoo||0.625 pounds||All kinds of hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo||1 pound||Thin hair||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Best Drugstore Shampoo for Oily Hair Reviews
1. L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
If you have oily hair, your life must be a vicious cycle of washing your hair and your sebaceous glands secreting more and more oil. Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing company by L’Oreal is an ideal shampoo for oily hair that helps to revive oily hair and wash the excess oil off the scalp.
While sebum secretion tends to make the scalp oily, your locks tend to remain dry at the lengths. As the name suggests, the shampoo is infused with three refined clays and formulated such that it cannot only purify the hair roots but also keeps the hair moisturized and hydrated. It does not weigh the hair down.
Although this drugstore shampoo for oily hair has rehydrating properties, the three refined clays help to rebalance greasy hair. It has been clinically tested and has been found safe on all kinds of skin and hair types, including colour-treated hair. Once used, the shampoo can keep your hair feeling fresh and flowy for up to 48 hours. For the best results, gently massage on to wet hair till it lathers, and then rinse it off.
- Quantity: 89 pounds
- Active ingredient: 3 refined clays
- Suitable for: All kinds of hair
- Best for: Dry and oily hair
- Fragrance: Fresh
- Keeps hair fresh for a long time.
- Smell is not overpowering.
- Makes hair soft, shiny, and bouncy.
- Comes in a sturdy packaging.
- More quantity per wash is needed as compared to other shampoos.
2. Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two
This shampoo deep cleanses your hair and gently strips the oil off your hair and scalp. The product is designed such that it can be used, leaving enough gaps among the washes to keep your strands non-greasy and flowy. The packaging has a professional and sleek look that looks visually appealing.
The shampoo has a thin and runny consistency and has a clear colour. It strikes the perfect balance between not being able to remove the oil and harshly stripping your hair of all the nutrients. It also contains tea tree oil, which helps to curb the problem of dandruff and other scalp problems. Using this shampoo thrice a week can deliver excellent results. The drugstore shampoo has a mild and pleasant aroma of lemon.
The shampoo lathers well on wet hair and deep cleanse the hair, leaving it completely oil-free. Massaging the shampoo on the scalp prevents the build-up of oil around the hair follicles. The shampoo leaves the hair feeling light, shiny, and voluptuous. It harnesses the use of natural ingredients like rosemary, wheat, jojoba, which help to treat hair naturally. Once you wash your hair with this shampoo, you can go 2-3 days without washing your hair!
- Quantity: 24 pounds
- Active ingredient: Lime
- Suitable for: All kinds of hair
- Best for: Oily hair
- Fragrance: Lemon
- It smells refreshing.
- It reduces dandruff and acne.
- It cleanses the scalp thoroughly.
- It is effective in reducing hair fall.
- Has a cooling sensation on the scalp.
- The shampoo does not lather much.
- Regular use of this product can dry out the hair.
- The tingling sensation can be slightly overpowering for some people.
3. Maple Holistics Sulfate Free Degrease Shampoo
This is one of the most popular shampoos for oily hair that is available in the market. It is formulated with naturally derived essential oils like cypress oil, rosemary oil, lemon oil, basil oil, etc., making it one of the most effective shampoos that can deep cleanse the scalp and remove dirt and oil off the hair.
The shampoo clears the hair follicles and prevents the build-up of oil near the roots of the hair. It has been formulated in such a way that it makes the scalp cleaner and hair shinier. The shampoo is infused with the goodness of natural ingredients. It is also kept free of sulfate, paraben, and other harmful natural ingredients to not pose any threat to the hair.
The shampoo’s natural ingredients are also effective against scalp issues like itchiness, excess grease, formation of flakes, dandruff, and so on. Tests have been conducted on the shampoo to ensure that the product is devoid of harmful additives and rich in botanical extracts that can provide proper nourishment to the hair.
- Quantity: 95 pounds
- Active ingredient: Lime oil
- Suitable for: Colour-treated hair, thinning hair
- Best for Oily hair
- Fragrance: Keratin, jojoba, Vitamin B5
- Very little quantity of shampoo can deep cleanse the hair in one wash.
- It uses 100% natural ingredients.
- It is safe for all kinds of skin.
- Paraben and sulfate-free.
- Comes in a portable and travel-friendly package.
- It is advisable to apply conditioner to the hair tips to prevent drying of the hair length.
4. OGX Hydrating + Shampoo Nourishing Invigorating Scalp Shampoo
If your hair is frizzy, damaged and needs immediate repair and care, bring home this bottle of nourishment. It is formulated to make it suitable for daily use. The shampoo helps to smoothen hair, reduce split ends, and impart a healthy glow to it.
The drugstore shampoo for oily hair can modify itself according to the needs of the hair. It is just as harsh on coarse hair as it is gentle on smooth and thin hair. It can also detangle curly and frizzy hair, leaving it soft, smooth, healthy, and nourished. The product adheres to ingredients that are completely natural and works on all kinds of hair, disregard of the texture or type of hair that it is applied to.
Tea tree oil is an important ingredient of this shampoo. The milk proteins, tea tree oil, and micro-infused peppermint help to rejuvenate and revitalize the hair and stimulate each hair strand. The product also balances the scalp’s pH and keeps it from over-drying.
- Quantity: 81 pounds
- Active ingredient: Vitamin E, Tea Tree Oil
- Suitable for: Thin, Coarse, Frizzy, Thick Hair
- Best for: Oily hair
- Fragrance: Milk protein, Tea Tree Oil. Peppermint oil, Vitamin E
- The product is sulfate-free.
- Deep cleanses the hair and leaves no trace of oil and dirt.
- Helps to reduce hair fall.
- Gentle on all kinds of skin.
- Makes hair softer and bouncier.
- Safe to be used on colour-treated hair.
- Has a refreshing aroma.
- Might seem a little expensive
5. Vanicream Store Free & Clear Hair Shampoo
Are you looking for the best shampoo available in the market that will leave your hair squeaky clean without any trace of oil build-up? Free & Clear Hair Shampoo is exactly what you need! Although it is non-medicated, it has been dermatologically tested and has been found suitable for all kinds of scalp. It also diminishes the signs of flaking and dandruff.
This drugstore shampoo does not use any harmful chemicals. It is free of irritants like fragrance, dyes, parabens, sulfate, etc. and so on and is very gentle on hair and skin. The shampoo is also fragrance-free, which makes it an ideal choice for those who are sensitive to strong smell!
The shampoo does not only strip the excess oil off your hair, but it also removes the build-up that might be caused due to using other hair care products like hair sprays and conditioners. The shampoo can, however, cause irritation if it comes in contact with the eye.
- Quantity: 75 pounds
- Active ingredient: No active ingredients
- Suitable for: All kinds of hair, colour-treated hair
- Best for: Sensitive scalp
- Fragrance: No detectable odour
- It has been dermatologically tested and found safe on skin.
- A small quantity of shampoo lasts long.
- Helps to maintain the scalp’s pH.
- Might cause irritation when it comes in contact with the eye.
6. Aveeno Scalp Soothing Shampoo Apple Cider Vinegar Blend
One of the major ingredients of this drugstore shampoo is oat, which helps to add volume and shine to dull hair. The shampoo has a soothing effect on the scalp and deep cleanses it without posing any threat to the hair. Being infused with the richness of apple cider vinegar, the shampoo makes the hair shiny from roots to the tip.
All the ingredients used in the making of this shampoo are farm-infused and extracted 100% naturally. The ingredients are in perfect balance with one another, and all the wholesome ingredients are infused together in adequate quantities to make hair softer, stronger, and shinier.
The shampoo does not contain any parabens, dyes, and sulfates and is therefore completely chemical-free. It is very gentle on the skin and is safe for all skin types. It can also be used on colour-treated hair. The shampoo also leaves a fresh smell on your hair that keeps lingering throughout the day. Therefore, if you are looking for a product that will soothe your mane from the roots to the tip, this shampoo is it!
- Quantity: 83 pounds
- Active ingredient: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Suitable for: Normal hair, Oily hair
- Best for: Hair with product build-up
- Fragrance: Apple Cider Vinegar
- The shampoo uses natural ingredients.
- It is devoid of paraben, sulfate, and other harmful chemicals.
- The shampoo has a soothing fragrance.
- Lathers well.
- Not suitable for people having extremely sensitive skin.
7. Neutrogena Anti-residue Shampoo
If your hair starts to get dull over time, it might be due to leftover residue of other hair styling products. This anti-residue clarifying shampoo is extremely effective in removing massive amounts of oil, dirt, and other build-ups caused by using conditioners and other hair care and styling products. The shampoo is gentle on hair and does not dry it out. Instead, it makes the hair appear shinier and voluptuous.
This drugstore shampoo for oily hair has a fresh, light aroma. A small quantity of shampoo lathers very well and deeply cleanses the hair and scalp. The ingredients used in this shampoo are of high quality, which shows results in absolutely no time. It also contains ingredients that impart a mild fresh odour to the hair.
The shampoo does not irritate the scalp and is, therefore, suitable for sensitive skin. Using this shampoo once a week can save you the effort to shampoo every alternate day to prevent the build-up of oil around the hair follicles. Once you get hold of this shampoo, you no longer have to worry about bad hair days!
- Quantity: 38 pounds
- Active ingredient: Hydrogenated Castor Oil
- Suitable for: Oily hair, all kinds of hair
- Best for: Hair with product build-up
- Fragrance: Mild Fragrance
- It is extremely effective in eliminating oil build-up from the scalp.
- Using this shampoo once a week can keep greedy hair at bay.
- It is dermatologically tested and is safe on all kinds of skin.
- It is available at an affordable price.
- Regular use of this shampoo can make hair extremely dry.
8. Aveeno Pure Renewal Gentle Shampoo
This shampoo is infused with the goodness of seaweed extract, which imparts softness to the hair. Right from the first use, your hair will feel healthier, softer, and more manageable. It also contains cleansers that are naturally derived. The use of natural ingredients and the sulfate-free formula deep cleanses the hair without causing any damage to the scalp. Enriched with natural ingredients, the shampoo is also safe to be used on colour-treated hair.
The shampoo is also rich in proteins, minerals, and vitamins, which help retain your hair’s nourishment and balance its natural moisture. You can feel the difference in your hair right from the first wash. It will rejuvenate your hair in such a manner that you cannot keep your hands off your mane.
For the best results, apply this shampoo on wet hair and gently massage your scalp till the shampoo lathers and then rinse it off thoroughly with water. If you have oil-treated your hair, two washes with this shampoo will leave you with soft, supple, grease-free hair!
- Quantity: 82 pounds
- Active ingredient: Seaweed extract
- Suitable for: All kinds of hair
- Best for: Coloured and chemically treated hair, oily hair
- Fragrance: Refreshing, mild
- It is sulfate-free.
- Mild on hair, yet deeply cleanses it.
- Leaves hair feeling light and soft.
- The scent is not overpowering.
- Does not moisturize or hydrate oily hair.
- Not as effective in terms of making hair shiny.
9. Maple Holistics Degrease Daily Clarifying Shampoo
This degrease clarifying moisture control shampoo featured by Maple Holistics has a formula that helps balance the scalp’s nutrients. It is brimming with naturally derived essential oils that detoxify your scalp and make your locks look shiny, voluptuous, and beautiful! It consists of a powerful blend of natural ingredients like cypress oil, jojoba oil, lemon oil, basil oil, rosemary oil, botanical keratin, and many more.
This shampoo serves multiple benefits to the hair. While the lemon oil strips the excess grease off your hair, cypress and rosemary prevent hair loss. Some ingredients prevent flaking and itching of the scalp. The shampoo exhibits amazing benefits on your hair right from the first wash. The natural oils work unanimously to cleanse the hair follicles and promote circulation to enhance hair growth. It is also infused with botanicals that have oil-absorbing properties, thereby leaving your hair non-greasy.
The use of natural ingredients makes it suitable to be used on the sensitive scalp as well. Once you have applied it on your hair, leave it on for three minutes before rinsing it off and let the therapeutic ingredients do their magic on your hair.
- Quantity: 625 pounds
- Active ingredient: Keratin, Lime, Jojoba
- Suitable for: All kinds of hair
- Best for: Oily hair, curly hair
- Fragrance: Lemon oil
- It is sulfate-free, silicone-free, cruelty-free, paraben-free.
- It does not contain harmful additives.
- It has a fresh, pleasant, limy smell
- It prevents dandruff.
- The shampoo does not lather well.
10. Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo
When it comes to treating oily hair, tea tree oil is an essential ingredient. The anti-fungal, anti-microbial, and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil make it a great choice to treat oily scalp and dandruff issues.
Tea tree oil is gentle on the skin, making the shampoo suitable for all skin. The shampoo rinses the excessive soil off the scalp. It uses a natural ingredient formula to cleanse the greasy scalp and prevents the build-up of oil.
Organic maca root extract is another essential ingredient of this shampoo that imparts strength to the hair and prevents hair fall. It also keeps hair light and flowy. However, excessive use of this shampoo can cause the scalp to turn dry, so it is ideal to leave gaps between the washes.
- Quantity:1 pound
- Active ingredient: Lemon peel and tea tree oil
- Suitable for: Thin hair
- Best for: Greasy hair
- Fragrance: Fresh Lime
- Little quantity of shampoo lasts long.
- It works wonders on oily hair.
- The shampoo adds volume to thin hair.
- It has a refreshing odour.
- Not suitable for regular use, as it may dry out the hair.
- The smell does not last long.
- It is not safe to be used on colour-treated hair.
What Should You Look For in the Best Drugstore Shampoo For Oily Hair?
It is not easy task to dive into varied options to choose the right drug store shampoo for your thick oily chair. To choose the right option, you need the knowledge that helps you analyze the products. Once you have identified which drugstore shampoo works for your oily hair, half the battle is already won. We have mentioned all the factors required below for your reference.
1. Ingredients That Help
Before purchasing any shampoo, it is very important to check out the ingredients list. It is ideal to adhere to a shampoo that uses natural ingredients. A number of naturally extracted oils curb the overproduction of oils in the sebaceous glands, thereby keeping the scalp non-greasy.
For instance, rosemary oil profoundly cleanses your scalp and removes the excess oil from the scalp. It also provides relief from itchy, sensitive scalp and dandruff. Lavender oil is also known for promoting hair growth, soothing the scalp, controlling dandruff, and imparting shine to the hair.
Peppermint oil and tea tree oil help to balance the production of sebum and balance the scalp’s pH level. They also stimulate the proper circulation of blood in the scalp, thereby promoting long, luscious hair.
Some natural oils such as lemongrass oil help to relieve scalp inflammation. Therefore, make sure that the shampoo you bring home is infused with the goodness of these natural ingredients.
2. Ingredients to Keep Distance From
Some drugstore shampoos contain chemicals like sulfate and paraben. Parabens are chemical preservatives that enhance the shelf life of hair care products. However, studies have shown that paraben can easily penetrate through the skin and give vent to skin problems like flaking, irritation, redness, irritation, etc.
Similarly, shampoo companies also harness the use of sulfate as it is inexpensive yet a powerful cleansing agent. Although it forms a rich lather and cleanses the oil and dirt off the hair, it is very harsh on the scalp and hair. Sulfate-based shampoos also strip the hair and scalp of all the natural ingredients that nourish the hair.
Some other ingredients like formaldehyde, hexachlorophene, phthalates, etc., might be harsh on the hair and scalp. Therefore, it is best to avoid shampoos that contain chemical ingredients.
3. Check the pH levels
The pH values play a crucial impact on hair’s moisture levels. However, not many of the brands provide the pH levels on the label. If you don’t see any pH number, then it will be 6.5 to 7. This is actually a bit more than what your hair prefers which is 5.5. The acidic pH range usually seals the cuticle which leads to less damaged and shiny hair.
4. Focus on Moisturization
Adding up hydration or moisturization helps in controlling the oil or sebum production. So, having these features in your drugstore shampoo can be more helpful. Apart from controlling the grease, it helps in maintaining your hair luscious and healthy.
5. Don’t Fret Over Foam
Most of the people think that more foam means better. But that is not exactly true. For getting more foam, people use more shampoo which can strip of the natural oils completely and make the scalp as well as hair strands dry. This can indeed increase the sebum production. So go for shampoos that don’t really foam up more, even if used in some quantities.
6. Color Protection
Hair coloring actually runs the hair texture. If you like coloring, then you have to purchase a shampoo works for dual purposes – that prevents greasy hair and repair the damage without fading out the color.
Other Tips for Maintaining Oily Hair
Apart from using drugstore shampoos for removing oil or grease on the hair, we recommend to follow some tips in your regular hair care routine. Below are some of the tips that helps you maintain or control the excess sebum production.
1. Wash Your Hair Less Often: Washing hair frequently or almost daily is a habit of people with oily hair. But this actually increases the sebum production. So, decrease the number of times you wash your hair.
2. Use lighter products: Avoid using hair care products with creamy texture. It is better to stick with gels and sprays.
3. Use conditioner along with shampoo: Some people don’t prefer using conditioner as the hair will be already greasy. However, using a bit of conditioner ensures to prevent any extra production of oil in the hair.
4. Avoid touching your hair: We recommend preventing to touch the hair as your hands may not be clean all the time. The transfer of dirt can be devastating for the oily hair health.
5. Clean your hair brushes: hair brushes have the tendency to harbor oil which can further attract dirt and dust. This can be further transferred to the washed clean hair. So, we recommend cleaning the hair brushes regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: While getting rid of unwanted oily scalp or hair, it is very crucial first understand the reason for it. There are several reasons for this issue but one of the common and main reasons is maintenance. Check out your hair car routine to see if you are using any products that are worsening the problem.
Our hair, especially oily kind needs more maintenance to prevent grease accumulation. It has to be cleaned, hydrated and refreshed to make them beautiful. Apart from hair care routine, other reasons include genetics, weather, skin conditions and hormones.
Ans: Oily hair is actually a never-ending problem. Sometimes, even after washing frequently, you still end up with the greasy hair. Actually, the truth is, oily hair can be treated if you follow the right procedure. Even if you washing the hair regularly, it important to use the right shampoo to cleanse and replenish without dealing with excessive oil or sebum.
So, if you want to treat the oily hair quickly, then we recommend using a shampoo that is specifically formulated for the treating the same.
Ans: Yes, of course it is. As it is a naturally occurring substance, charcoal helps in eliminating excess grease or sebum on both hair and scalp.
Ans: Using the right amount of shampoo actually depends on your hair length. If you take more, then it is a waste of the product and it also strips off the natural oil as well. When it comes to using right amount, for short hair you can use nickel-sized amount. If you have medium hair, then quarter amount is enough. But for thick or long hair, you can use a half-dollar amount.
Ans: According to dermatologists and salon experts, it is better to wash your hair twice in a row rather than frequently. This helps in getting more cleansed hair and you can also wait longer between the shampoos. It also reduces the amount of oil without stripping.
Ans: Some of the best shampoos that are effective against oily scalp and hair are:
* Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo
* Free & Clear Hair Shampoo
* Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two
* Maple Holistics Degrease Daily Clarifying Shampoo
* L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
Ans: It is always advisable to opt for a shampoo that is infused with the richness of natural ingredients. There are many natural oils like rosemary oil, jojoba oil, lemon oil, etc., that help to curb the secretion of sebum. Therefore, the next time you pick a bottle of shampoo for oily hair, look for the following ingredients:
* Tea tree oil
* Lavender oil
* Rosemary oil
* Lemongrass oil
* Peppermint oil
* Castor oil
Ans: Certain chemical ingredients are harmful to hair as they cause the scalp to turn dry. Some ingredients that one should strictly avoid are:
* Polyethylene Glycols
Excessive scalp oil weighs down the hair and makes it appear thinner. It also deprives you of the freedom of styling your hair as you want to.
To save yourself from the embarrassment of greasy strands, refer to the above-mentioned products. They are some of the best shampoos for oily hair that are available in the USA. However, make sure that the products suit your skin and your hair type. List your concern in the comment section below!