Your hairstyle can dominate your overall look. And curls are definitely a way to define beauty and elegance.
But to get the perfect curls you need a perfect curling tool to help you with that.
Curling irons can be helpful to get your desired curls. These are available in the market with different materials and barrel size. But you need to select the one that would match your hair type.
So we have mentioned a few factors that you must look out before purchasing.
Curling tools are usually composed of
Ceramic- this is an affordable option when compared to titanium. This distributes heat evenly and curls your hair without pulling or snagging.
Titanium– this heats quickly as compared to ceramic. And makes your hair smooth and shine while curling your hair.
Tourmaline– this stone is crushed and topped on ceramic or titanium surfaces. This can tame you frizzy hair and make it smooth.
2. Barrel size
3/8″, 1/2″, and 5/8″- shorter thinner hair
1” -1/2” – medium to long hair
2”- long thick hair
To know about these factors in detail refer to our Buying Guide. And now that I know what to look for in a product, go through our best listed products that you can buy online.
Best Curling Iron for long Hair
|Curling Iron||Material||Barrel size||Heat setting||Buy Now|
|HOT TOOLS Curling Iron||Bold plated barrel||0.375”, 0.5”, 0.625”, 1”,1.5”, 1.25”,2”||upto 430F||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|BaBylissPRO Curling Iron||Titanium barrel||0.75”, 1”, 1.25”, 1.5”||50F - 450F||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Conair Ceramic Curling Iron||Tourmaline Ceramic barrel||1”, 1 1/2”, 1 1/4”, 3/4”||upto 400F||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|MiroPure Curling Iron||Tourmaline Ceramic barrel||1.25”, 1.5”||410F( 6 heat settings)||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Alure Curling Iron||Tourmaline Ceramic barrel||1"||0℉ - 410℉||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Nuaer Hair Curler||Tourmaline Ceramic barrel||1”||325℉-430℉||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Ion Curling Iron||Titanium barrel||1 ½”||Upto 400F||CHECK ON AMAZON|
This is probably one of the most classic curling tools that can picture in your head. This might be on the higher price but this is surely worth the splurge.
Hot tools have created its name as a trusted brand with its great function and aesthetic appeal. With this tool you can be sure to add some good waves and curls to your hair.
Now what makes this tool most unique- its barrel. This barrel is composed of 24k gold plated. So when you curl your hair you are assured to sprinkle some gold dust on your hair.
This has an inbuilt heat conductor that distributes heat equally. So you get perfect curls and consistent hair.
And if there is any momentary temperature drop, its smart tool can sense it and restores it immediately.
It heats upto 430F and you can choose the heat setting by just the twist of the rheostat control dial. Different heat settings implies it can be used for different hair textures.
This comes with a seperate on and off for you to operate. There is also a light indication that lets you know which mode is your tool in.
This also has a 8ft long swivel cord that gives you the flexibility of being comfortable at any angle.
Barrel size– 0.375”, 0.5”, 0.625”, 1”,1.5”, 1.25”,2”
- Heat distributor
- Different heat setting
- Can be used for all hair types
- No dual voltage
- No auto shut off
If you have a longer length hair then this tool will do its job right. This comes with a large barrel that is perfect to curl your hair.
This gives you professional quality curls.
It uses nano titanium technology. This produces infrared heat which is healthy for your hair. Its negative ion locks the moisture within your hair, making it silky and smooth.
Its turbo heat ranges from 50F – 450F.
This also has a 8ft swivel cord, that gives you tangle free movement to curl at any angle.
This curler can leave your hair silky and smooth no matter what the hair length or texture it is.
Barrel Size- 0.75”, 1”, 1.25”, 1.5”
- Can be used for all hair types
- Uses infrared technology
- Makes your hair smooth and silky
- This does not have dual voltage
Infinity pro curler can give you voluminous looking bouncy curls.
This features tourmaline and ceramic plating. This combination helps you get rid of frizzy hair and gives you the perfect smooth curls.
It’s even heat distribution endures to avoid hot spots.
This is efficient enough to reach the maximum with 30 seconds. So this can be a great tool when you are in a hurry.
This has five heat settings that can reach upto 400F. Different heat settings make it convenient to be used for all hair types.
Its LED light indicates your selected mode.
This also comes with an auto shut off feature and this gives you a peace of mind.
And bonus you also get a heat shield and 5 years warranty
Barrel Size- 1”, 1 1/2”, 1 1/4”, 3/4”
- Gets rid of frizz hair
- LED indicator
- Auto shut off feature
- Can snag or pull your hair
Micropure curler is a travel friendly curler. This can work on dual voltage(100V-240V). So you can carry it world wide with you.
This device comes with many innovative features. And one such thing is this device consists of just one button. This lone button can be used to power it on and off and also control the heat settings.
All you do is just long press it on and off and short press it to change heat settings.
This tool comes with 6 temperature settings( 310F, 330F, 350F, 390F, 410F) making it ideal to use it for all hair types.
Your selected mode can be displayed on its LCD display.
And it can reach its highest temperature in just 30 seconds and this also comes with a 60 second auto shut off.
This also comes with a tourmaline ceramic surface that helps you get rid of frizzy hair and leave you with silky smooth hair.
Barrel Size- 1.25”, 1.5”
- Non Slip grip
- Just one button to control settings
- Eliminates frizzy hair
- Only two barrels size
- Can snug your hair
With its attractive and shiny pink color, it looks great. You can use it to have soft and stylish beach curls that last all day.
It works on all hair types – thin and thick, short and long. It has three ceramic-based barrels that heat up fast within 1 minute and works from 0℉ – 410℉ (210℃). Moreover, they are also coated with Tourmaline for much better results.
Based on your hair texture and style, you can easily set the temperature that’s indicated on the LCD screen. If your hair is coarse, then temperatures up to 210 ℃ are required, and if you have finer hair, you can use it with 170 ℃ or lower temperature.
Though you use it at such high temperatures, you need not worry as it has a reliable protective pH-resistant Teflon coating that protects your head and hair from heat. Also, there is a heat stand if you want to rest it on a surface for some time.
It’s easy to use this curling iron with the extra-long 7-feet 360-degree swivel cord and makes your work hassle-free. Also, it runs at low power and dual voltage allowing international travel use.
Barrel Size – 1 inch
- With three barrels, it curls your hair quickly.
- Wavy curls that last longer
- Good quality
- Faster heating
- LCD indicator
- Auto turn-off within 15 minutes
- You have to switch it on again if you do not finish curling your hair within 15 minutes.
- No beep
- The heat output could have been better.
It’s beautiful to look at with a classic shiny color and aesthetic design. With customized temperature control and display, you can easily use it for all hair types. It works from 325 ℉-430 ℉ temperature range and the barrel heats up quickly.
Also, it has three timer settings – 8 s for slightly damaged hair, 12 s for soft hair, and 16 s for strong hair. Depending on the hair texture, you can have personalized curls with definite temperature and timer settings. With an indicating beep sound, you can easily get hair curls with the utmost protection.
As the curler has an intelligent induction motor with a smart sensor chip, it’s automatic. It identifies the knots of the hair and severely stuck hair, and then automatically reverses the direction of the rotation. So, your hair remains damage-free and safe.
Besides, the ceramic barrel has the best double-layer heat insulation to prevent burns to hair or hands. With the negative ion function and keratin coating, it reduces hair friction too.
As the curler switches off automatically in 45 minutes if not used, you will have enough safety and better performance.
It is safe and suitable for home and travel use with a 1.8 m power cord and 100-230 V dual voltage.
Barrel Size – 1 inch
- Tailor-made for all hair types
- Two-way rotation and automatic rotation mode
- Prevents hair tangles
- 3 timer settings
- Better hair care
- Nourishes the hair well
- Stylish appeal
- Only one barrel
Our seventh product is composed of chrome material. This is lightweight and has a shiny finish. Its patented Euro design comes with a non slip grip.
This features electronic touchpad control switches and this makes it a modern curling device.
Its 1 ½” barrel can give you soft beachy waves. This can work wonders for medium to long length hair.
Its turbo heat has 25 heat settings that reach upto 400F. It just takes 30 seconds to heat up. This can surely be helpful when you are in a rush.
And also comes up with an auto shut off feature.
This can work on dual voltage too.
Barrel size: 1 ½ “
- electronic touchpad device
- Non slip grip
- Dual voltage
- Can snug your hair
Things to consider while Buying 2 in 1 Straightener Curler
This section will guide you in selecting a product that will serve your needs. Refer to the below mentioned points to get a better understanding for what to look for while selecting a product.
1. Barrel size
This is one of the most important things that you should look out for.
Curling irons feature a range of ⅜”- 2”. The different sizes of barrels will give you different curls size.
- Small barrels are ideal for small tight curls. This is more suited for flat thin hair.
- Thicker hair can hold a large loose curl. Thick hair texture can hold this shape for a long time.
Barrel size – 3/8″, 1/2″, and 5/8″
- These sizes are good for short hair that reaches upto shoulder length.
- This is great for thin textured hair
- The curls you get from this are called coiled, spiral locks and perm lock.
Barrel size – ¾”
- These give slightly loose curls
- You can also get corkscrew curls
- This works well with short to medium hair length
Barrel size -1” -1 ¼”
- This gives you loose curls or natural waves.
- This can be used on any hair length
Barrel size -1” -1/2”
- This gives you loose voluminous curls.
- It can also be used to get messy beachy waves.
- This works best with long hair
2. Barrel material
Curlers are composed of variations of material. Each material has their own added benefits. So without any further ado let’s look into them.
Ceramic: This is known for distributing heat evenly. This can also heat up very fast. Its smooth surface helps you create curls without snagging your hair. This is also scratch resistance and affordable.
Titanium: This is the best conductor of heat. This makes it perfect for thick and coarse hair. This can release negative ions and infrared heat. This locks the moisture of your hair and keeps it healthy.
Tourmaline: This is a semi precious gemstone. This is crushed and topped on titanium or ceramic surface. This prevents friction that is produced while curling. This is suitable for all hair types. It also helps eliminate frizzy hair.
3. Temperature variation
This is one of the most important things to consider while buying a hair product. Let’s discuss them in detail
- If you have fine texture hair then invest in a device that has low temperature. Otherwise your hair can get further damage.(250F)
- If your hair quality is thick choose a straightener curler with high temperature and broad plates. (450F)
- For chemically treated hair, do not use high temperature as your hair might get damaged. Do not exceed over 445F.
4. Dual voltage capacity
If you are a frequent overseas traveller. Then check if your iron has dual voltage capacity. 110V and 220V are the two options of dual voltage. This will let you use it at home and also abroad.
5. Safety timer
If you are a forgetful one and if you are always wondering if you have plugged or unplugged your device. Then here is an ideal feature for you. Some curlers come with 60 or 30-minute auto shut off. This gives you peace of mind and it doesn’t even cost much higher than the iron that does not have this feature.
If your product comes with warranty, it is always better. This just makes the product more reliable as compared to others.
If you want to keep your grooming devices under budget. Then you must consider the price. This price may vary because of the size, temperature setting, plate composition and few other factors.
Tips to know before curling
Well, there are a few things that you should follow before treating your hair. So in this section, we would be telling you all the ins and outs of straightening or curling hair.
- Select the best straightener/curler– It is very important to purchase a suitable device for your hair that will help you groom without causing the least damage.
- Avoid frequent exposure of heat as it will damage your hair and cause split ends and make your hair frizzy. So it would always be better if you straighten or curl your hair and then leave your hair natural for at least 3-4 days.
- Moisturize- The nutrients and minerals present in your hair are responsible for shine and softness. And frequent heat exposures will damage these nutrients. So it is important to moisturize your hair. Use a leave-in conditioner and hair mask to replenish the natural oils.
- Clean your hair prior– cleaning your hair before straightening or curling is a better option. If your hair is dirty or has excess, this will transfer all the dirt to your flat iron and in the long run, can damage the plates.
- Use heat protection– Invest in a good heat protecting sprays. This will nourish your hair while you straighten it. Applying heat on your hair can make your hair brittle and cause split ends. By using a hair spray you can avoid all these and protect your hair.
Steps to curl your hair
1. Clean dry your hair
Cleaning your hair prior to straightening is very important. As discussed above heating your hair with dirt and oil will not just damage your hair but would also damage your flat iron. Also, make sure your hair is dry. Because straightening wet hair will be frizzy and weak.
2. Start with a low heat setting
Every flat iron plate reacts differently with your hair. So to start with it is always better to initiate with a low-temperature setting. Otherwise, you might just burn and damage your hair.
3. Brush your hair
Brush your hair thoroughly so that there are no tangles.
4. Apply heat protector
Heat protector comes in a spray. This will prevent your hair from the heat damage and also add shine to your hair.
5. Section your hair
Separate your hair into sections with the help of clips. This will make you job easier.
6. Work in section
Wrap a section on the barrel. But make sure to not overlap it as it will reduce heat on hair and make it limp. You can hold the tip of hair with your finger when you wrap it on the barrel.
Rotate the barrel clockwise and anti clockwise to give you a more natural look.
7. Pin up curls
Hold the bottom of the curl, wrap it up and clip it up. You can use a bobby pin for this. Do this for all the hair sections.
8. Apply a finishing solution
After you are done with curling. Apply a finishing solution. It would be better if its ingredients have argan oil, jojoba oil and olive oil. And also wash your hair three days after curling. This will allow your hair to secrete natural oils.
Things to avoid when straightening/curling hair
- Try to avoid a heat temperature over 450degree. This temperature can damage your hair.
- Many people use oil or butter before curling. Doing this wouldn’t make your hair look sleek. So do avoid this.
- To get the best results, avoid curling on wet or damp hair. Or it can make your hair frizzy.
- Do not heat a section of your hair twice. This might damage your hair.
- Avoid using water based moisturizer. Avoiding water for this process will give you better results.
- What should be the ideal temperature while curling?
This would depend on the texture of your hair.
- Thin and damaged hair (250-300F).
- Hair with average length and strength (300-350F).
- Long thick hair (350-400F)
Try not to use flat irons that exceed a temperature of 450K. This will damage your hair and cause breakage.
- Is tourmaline better than ceramic?
If you want your hair to be shiny and less frizzy, then tourmaline can help you with that. This is a crystalline gemstone which is crushed and used in flat irons. But when it comes to heat distribution ceramic is a better option. The best thing is if you get a combination of tourmaline and ceramic.
- Is ceramic tourmaline good for hair?
Yes, this can definitely be called the best combination. Ceramic evenly distributes heat while tourmaline can make your hair look shiny, smooth and less frizzy.
Getting a perfect curl might be difficult. And to achieve this you need a good device. So the device you choose will determine your curls. And now that you know what to look for while selecting a device. You can definitely select your suitable device from our top 7 list.
And our favorite pick from this list is HOT TOOLS Curling Iron. This can be used for hair textures. And this distributes heat equally. It can also sense if there is any drop in temperature and it restores immediately.